Who remembers Golfsmith?

I remember seeing the catalog a long time ago.

Loved Golfsmith and their catalog, learned a lot of things with their help.

Bought my first hybrid iron set there in Raleigh, think it was 2012. I think the same sales rep is still there now under DSG/GG. I went to get half a set of the HB3's and another half set, I believe of Cleveland Launchers a more traditional club. He said, not to break up the set, which was great advice. Also, they were the only retailer to sell ball sleeves at the time and at a reasonable price. I loved going there with a store credit and getting 5 different sleeves to try out. It was the first super store of it's kind I had ever been too and was blown away by it's size and product lines. They even had a indoor tennis court and indoor range.

Last edited:
Bought my first hybrid iron set there in Raleigh, think it was 2012. I think the same sales rep is still there now under DSG/GG. I went to get half a set of the HB3's and another half set, I believe of Cleveland Launchers a more traditional club. He said, not to break up the set, which was great advice. Also, they were the only retailer to sell ball sleeves at the time and at a reasonable price. I loved going there with a store credit and getting 5 different sleeves to try out. It was the first super store of it's kind I had ever been too and was blown away by it's size and product lines. They even had a indoor tennis court and indoor range.
I built two hybrids from components at GS. Viper hybrids, at 18*, and at 21*. Still in my bag since about 2005(?). First clubs I owned with weighted technology, which was fairly new at that time. Have them set up for draw bias. Picked up a "set" of Cleveland 900 series forged wedges from the huge used club racks. Played them until 2020. Now play CBX2's. Back then, ball mfgs. would put "bonus sleeves" on a box of balls, to get you to try something new, or to just give extra sleeve of the ball you were playing, if it was new to the market. Don't see that anymore. Dicks with their "2-fer" deals is as close as your going to get to that, or their 4 dozen deals, but those are usually their house brand balls. Buy 3, get 4 with the top tier balls is popular from what I hear. Always enjoyed a trip to Golfsmith, even just to walk around the store...

Not my favorite golf store, I think pgass is a way better store all things considered.
Consider the difference in all the tech that has come along since. Golfsmith did it best for a lot of years, and then things changed...

My dad got their catalogs for years growing up. Was always cool to look at all the gear. By the time I took up the game I think they lasted another year or 2 and then shut down so I didn’t do much with them

Consider the difference in all the tech that has come along since. Golfsmith did it best for a lot of years, and then things changed...
100% they did. They were it for the tinkerers and club builders

We had a Golfsmith in Altamonte Springs Fl that I would visit. Closed in 2016. I guess Dick’s Sporting Goods bought the Golfsmith brand from the bankruptcy auction, but Dicks wasn't anything like GolfSmith in my option.

You guys act like they’ve been gone for years. What is is it 5-6?
Dick’s acquired Golfsmith October 2016. 7 years and change. Of course, it took Dick’s awhile to decide which stores to keep and rebrand them.

Dick’s acquired Golfsmith October 2016. 7 years and change. Of course, it took Dick’s awhile to decide which stores to keep and rebrand them.
I was pretty close than with my 5-6 years ago guess than, since this thread was started in January ‘23.

I built two hybrids from components at GS. Viper hybrids, at 18*, and at 21*. Still in my bag since about 2005(?). First clubs I owned with weighted technology, which was fairly new at that time.

I have a 18* Viper hybrid in my bag right now too. Built it new from GS with a steel shaft. It's going to a friend in a couple weeks but it still plays as good as any modern hybrid I've hit. Man I miss Golfsmith.

I used to build a LOT of Golfsmith stuff. Golfworks too. And sometimes Dynacraft and Wishon.

The club building aspect of Goldsmith was fun. When they got away from that I gravitated to Golfworks, both their catalog and the brick and mortar shop near Newark, Ohio.

Last edited:
Yes, ordered from Golfsmith a lot. I'm not fond they are gone. Not a lot of good options for golf building tools now except Golfworks, but their prices for tools is quite high and not really any other options for golf building tools. I'd like to see Golfmechanix tools make more of presence in the US.

I used to build a LOT of Golfsmith stuff. Golfworks too. And sometimes Dynacraft and Wishon.
I've often wondered how those Dynacraft Muscle Blade (hollow irons) would play. I think Hireko still sells Dynacraft.

Golfsmith's catalog was a must read for keeping up on prices, sizes, latest, etc. Still have some in my reference desk. If you needed grips they were the place.

GS.png

Skimmer here. Was always a Golfworks fan and have utilized them for 30 years or so. And they are still around and send me their catalogue. Have a few wedges in bag right now from them.

There used to be a Golfsmith not two minutes from my office that was also on my way home. I always enjoyed stopping in there and, over the years, spent a lot of money there as that is where I always got my new clubs (and I was always buying new clubs back in those days!).

Loved that place!

During the early to mid 2000’s I would always be looking through their catalog. I remember ordering some golfsmith tour cavity forged iron heads. Can’t remember if it was just a single head to tinker with or a full set. The pro forged heads I would drool over but wasn’t ready for blades at the time. An awesome time in the equipment space imo

During the early to mid 2000’s I would always be looking through their catalog. I remember ordering some golfsmith tour cavity forged iron heads. Can’t remember if it was just a single head to tinker with or a full set. The pro forged heads I would drool over but wasn’t ready for blades at the time. An awesome time in the equipment space imo
I still have a set of their P3 irons. They are for a better player, but as a high capper, I thought they looked great, and they did play just as well.

I preferred golfsmith catalog over golf works. Loved going inside the store. Not a fan of golf galaxy

I always wanted the Golfsmith Ping copy that had a blueish finish and graphite insert face. Should have ordered a set of those.

Back