Who's going to putt with flag in ???

Played yesterday and still pulled the flag on all putts between 4 and about 25 feet. Then again, I have always been one to pull the flag on the majority of my chip shots if I could clearly see the hole. Almost 40 years of playing one way is going to be tough to change.

I really believe you would get use to it a whole lot faster than you think. id bet in hardly any time at all it would sem like its always been that way.

No problem with flag in or out as long as two putts.

I'll definitely be leaving it in when I am playing by myself (I did it most of the time any way. I am a rule breaker.) But when I am playing with other people I will probably just go with the flow. I'm not going to disrupt the group by being a pain in the butt either way.

I'll definitely be leaving it in when I am playing by myself (I did it most of the time any way. I am a rule breaker.) But when I am playing with other people I will probably just go with the flow. I'm not going to disrupt the group by being a pain in the butt either way.
Nothing in the RoG prior to this year prohibiting leaving the flag stick in the hole while putting. I did it once in a while, too, when playing by myself. Not often, though, because I didnt like taking a chance on hitting it and assessing a 2 stroke penalty. I think I subconsciously tried not to make the putt when I left the flag in so I'd only do it on the rare very long putt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nothing in the RoG prior to this year prohibiting leaving the flag stick in the hole while putting. I did it once in a while, too, when playing by myself. Not often, though, because I didnt like taking a chance on hitting it and assessing a 2 stroke penalty. I think I subconsciously tried not to make the putt when I left the flag in so I'd only do it on the rare very long putt.

Well that's where I broke the rules. When by myself I just putted into the flag :banghead:. If I was playing with other people or in a tournament or anything I always removed it.

Since my foursome typically plays in 3:00 to 3:15 (even twosomes have difficulty keeping up with us on the rare occasion we find one teeing off behind us), we see no reason to do anything different than we have been doing for the sake of "pace of play". We play ready golf at all times and on those occasions we tee off later in the morning due to weather we find we are always waiting on the group(s) in front of us as a four hour pace seems incredibly slow to us.

Well that's where I broke the rules. When by myself I just putted into the flag :banghead:. If I was playing with other people or in a tournament or anything I always removed it.
Understood, but even putting into the flag on every hole isn't against the rules... as long as you added the appropriate 36 strokes to your score. :clown:

Understood, but even putting into the flag on every hole isn't against the rules... as long as you added the appropriate 36 strokes to your score. :clown:

If he did then I am SUPER impressed with his handicap.

Whiskey

you can't post solo rounds anyways because you're not trusted to have integrity in a game of integrity

Since my foursome typically plays in 3:00 to 3:15 (even twosomes have difficulty keeping up with us on the rare occasion we find one teeing off behind us), we see no reason to do anything different than we have been doing for the sake of "pace of play". We play ready golf at all times and on those occasions we tee off later in the morning due to weather we find we are always waiting on the group(s) in front of us as a four hour pace seems incredibly slow to us.

well, just think now that the flag can stay put maybe you guys can get done in 2:55 to 3:10 and maybe those excruciating 4hr rounds will only be an excruciating 3:55:alien:

well, just think now that the flag can stay put maybe you guys can get done in 2:55 to 3:10 and maybe those excruciating 4hr rounds will only be an excruciating 3:55:alien:
My pace is right around 3 hours alone. I can play at a 4 to 415 pace without scratching my eyes out. It starts to get really irritating if it gets slower than that.

One of my HS kids and I played in 1:44 the other day leaving the pin in.

One of my HS kids and I played in 1:44 the other day leaving the pin in.
Riding or walking? If that's walking, that's a helluva pace. I'm not sure what my fastest is... probably somewhere around the 230 mark. If I could keep everything in play and not have to search for anything more than a minute, then I could do better, but with my eye being what it is, I lose track of the ball often.

Played yesterday with a couple of older gentleman that wanted the flag left in for every putt and then 2 of us that wanted it out. It was a pain honestly... I think it definitely slowed us down on the greens.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Played yesterday with a couple of older gentleman that wanted the flag left in for every putt and then 2 of us that wanted it out. It was a pain honestly... I think it definitely slowed us down on the greens.

This is the worry. Most of the guys I play with will have no problem leaving it in or pulling it if anybody in the group really has a strong preference. Personally I have never pulled the pin if I’m out by myself practicing and I think leaving it in is a net benefit but it’s very very minor overall.

This is the worry. Most of the guys I play with will have no problem leaving it in or pulling it if anybody in the group really has a strong preference. Personally I have never pulled the pin if I’m out by myself practicing and I think leaving it in is a net benefit but it’s very very minor overall.
Yeah it doesn't fit my eye. I feel it just makes the hole smaller, even though it has that backstop.

I putted all 18 with the pin in yesterday and one of my putts missed because it hit the flag and bounced out. I think I benefitted from the pin in on one downhill putt that probably had too much pace. Interestingly, my son kept asking for the pin out on his putts; I guess he’s a young traditionalist.

I putted all 18 with the pin in yesterday and one of my putts missed because it hit the flag and bounced out. I think I benefitted from the pin in on one downhill putt that probably had too much pace. Interestingly, my son kept asking for the pin out on his putts; I guess he’s a young traditionalist.

I (and probably many folks) have had themselves or seen others have balls go in and out with the flag removed. perhaps hits the cup lip or perhaps catches things somehow at just the right angle with just the right force., whatever the case. You don't truly know if your ball would have dropped if no flag was there. It may have gone over it completely. The pin may have actually kept you closer than you may have ended up otherwise. You truly just don't know and this part of the problem. People are going to think if they hit the pin and the ball does not drop that its the pins fault. But the only way to ever really know this is if one stood there and hit that same play many times over with it in and again with it out and then see how many miss and how far away the miss ends up. That's in a sense is exactly what pelz did via thousands of balls both ways. And the results did offer collective telling results that the pin in helped more than hurt. So odds via those results would dictate that your one play there would probably have not gone in anyway and also would have ended up worse off if there was no pin. Not 100% but that's what the odds would dictate. You just cant really say the pin made the miss nor that it made it worse. The other issue is that we (human nature) tend to remember the times things don't work vs when they do. We tend to exaggerate the negative making it worse than it really is.

Last edited:

given the choice of pin in or out for sake of flow...….the only one of those two choices that can add a task and/or any disturbance to flow is to deal with taking it out. The other way there is nothing to do or deal with and so there is no task, nor potential to add any time nor disturbance at all to the flow of things. Even if minimal the task related to dealing with it is adding an element that isn't necessary.

This subject is kind of contradicting with how much and how often people complain of pace. Its always a number one concern and even when it isn't even bad. That said, its amazing how many would rather add the task of dealing with the pin when they don't have to. Imo it (like pace problems) comes down to an "all about me" mindset. Time used is only ok if its our self that feels the need to use it. Dealing with pin while we dont have to is an unnecessary choice and a task that will add an element when it doesn't have to be added.

If courses are smart imo they should make a local rule that the pin stays in place all the time except for extreme wind conditions. On that day only they should make it optional. other than that if I operated a course id make the rule no choice and the pin stays put.

given the choice of pin in or out for sake of flow...….the only one of those two choices that can add a task and/or any disturbance to flow is to deal with taking it out. The other way there is nothing to do or deal with and so there is no task, nor potential to add any time nor disturbance at all to the flow of things. Even if minimal the task related to dealing with it is adding an element that isn't necessary.

This subject is kind of contradicting with how much and how often people complain of pace. Its always a number one concern and even when it isn't even bad. That said, its amazing how many would rather add the task of dealing with the pin when they don't have to. Imo it (like pace problems) comes down to an "all about me" mindset. Time used is only ok if its our self that feels the need to use it. Dealing with pin while we dont have to is an unnecessary choice and a task that will add an element when it doesn't have to be added.

If courses are smart imo they should make a local rule that the pin stays in place all the time except for extreme wind conditions. On that day only they should make it optional. other than that if I operated a course id make the rule no choice and the pin stays put.

For the sake of flow, maybe... But in terms of personal preference, it's obviously not fair to punish those that prefer to putt with the flag stick out.... As they've been doing for many years previous.

I'm not sure what the spirit of the new rule is, possibly pace of play, but I highly doubt that a full foursome will agree one way or another... Therefore creating the possible constant in/out maneuver.

I'm hoping my Sunday foursome all agree to take it out. We'll see in April I suppose.

For the sake of flow, maybe... But in terms of personal preference, it's obviously not fair to punish those that prefer to putt with the flag stick out.... As they've been doing for many years previous.

I'm not sure what the spirit of the new rule is, possibly pace of play, but I highly doubt that a full foursome will agree one way or another... Therefore creating the possible constant in/out maneuver.

I'm hoping my Sunday foursome all agree to take it out. We'll see in April I suppose.

the change imo would be something most anyone would become use to relatively quickly. I really feel that for those who are concerned with it possibly feeling strange would get use to it much faster than they think. In not time it would seem like it always existed that way. I mean we already out on practice greens with those small pins and that doesn't feel weird. Id even bet for most people by the end of just one round they would feel its no big deal that it was in.

the change imo would be something most anyone would become use to relatively quickly. I really feel that for those who are concerned with it possibly feeling strange would get use to it much faster than they think. In not time it would seem like it always existed that way. I mean we already out on practice greens with those small pins and that doesn't feel weird.
Maybe for some. Personally, I pull the flags on the practice green and hate putting to the little round ones with no hole. The flag messes with my head. And I consider my putting to be pretty decent. Plus I tend to die the ball in the hole. Flag isn't helping me. I tend to take it out on chips as well. Something about seeing the whole hole makes it seem like I can make it. Flag in makes me think "just get it close".

Everyone will have their preference. I just don't see this role speeding anything up, especially after my experience yesterday .... And I know it'll never be implemented as "flag always stays in".

Maybe for some. Personally, I pull the flags on the practice green and hate putting to the little round ones with no hole. The flag messes with my head. And I consider my putting to be pretty decent. Plus I tend to die the ball in the hole. Flag isn't helping me. I tend to take it out on chips as well. Something about seeing the whole hole makes it seem like I can make it. Flag in makes me think "just get it close".

Everyone will have their preference. I just don't see this role speeding anything up, especially after my experience yesterday .... And I know it'll never be implemented as "flag always stays in".

I can respect your thoughts that its in your head but I still suggest that if you had no choice I really believe you would get past it relatively quick. As for what happened yesterday? hence the problem they created by making it a choice. No choice...no problem.

I for one will leave it be. And not to you specifically but to anyone listening. I already get a tad annoyed when Im chipping and another player chipping who is to go first insists on removing it. That in itself delays the flow and also causes those who prefer to chip with the flag in to then have to have it replaced for them or they sacrifice hier preference and ccontinue to chip with it out even though they wanted it in. Happens all the time.

Honesty I like to move when around/on the greens. I do not care for much of the antics that too often unnecessarily takes place by tii many people. To me sometimes its like "get over yourself" and just play the freaking ball already. I just see the pin staying in as one small means of eliminating whats been imo an unrealized unnecessary task and flow disrupter.

So now you got four players coming from different sides of the hole and are lag putting mid to long or even chipping. Flow has to be halted and all have to be disrupted because someone just has to remove the pin. Instead of lining themselves up and preparing for ready golf they now have to go get the flag. Imo just not necessary. Especially when chipping. If we truly think about it, there are so many scenarios where the pin (the way things have always been) causes a disruption to flow. Its far much more than we may think only because we are so use to doing it. Now with a choice its not fair to cause another who wants it left in to go get the pin and/or tend it when what they could be doing is actually getting ready for their turn instead. I mean it really does just make good sense to leave the pin and never concern with it imo. Everyone can just get themselves ready for their shot and not be pulled away from doing that. In general imo things would just flow smoother all around.

Back