Why Don't More Manufacturers Do Ultimate Testing?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Serious question for everyone here. As I am on the eve of my first trip in 2 weeks with Titleist T-Series iron testing the question for me is why isn't everyone doing something with THP? I found this site by searching for info on a driver I was thinking about purchasing. Reading reviews here helped me make my decision and I also joined the club because it seemed like other sites were full of member on member snark and sarcasm.

Aside from what we all know about the board I have to imagine at least 50% of golf products are sold to about 10% of golfers. That 10% is very informed and looks for intelligent conversation about those products. Seeing reviews written by club pro level golfers is fine, but most of us want to know what 5-20 handicappers are doing with those clubs instead.

Being a statistics person I imagine the impact is hard to quantify and I am sure the manufacturers are asking for numbers when @JB and @GolferGal come calling, but to this modern media consumer having real people writing real reviews seems like a no brainer to me. If nothing else I would look at it as a way to spend my marketing budget saying thank you to some of my most loyal customers.

There are a number of things, but just about every single company in golf will have clubs in THPers hands this year.

There are a number of things, but just about every single company in golf will have clubs in THPers hands this year.

I want to expand on this a bit, because some people may have more questions.
What i meant by that is not just in their hands, but through a THP Event. Whether that be through one of our unique experiences or through one of the cool shaft events we do like the Ultimate Weekend of Golf with True Temper.

Over the span of 3 years just about every company in golf will have some sort of experience on this community for our Albatross Club Members. That is kind of crazy to think about, but every single one of them. With that said, there is a lot more here than just the out of this world opportunities and the content is one of them. We are proud to say that we have been to every OEM and Shaft company to talk about this place and why we created something different.

The good thing about this community is whether we have something awesome lined up with them or not, every brand is discussed and feedback is wanted on everything. It's fun to talk about golf :)

Last edited:
That's awesome to hear JB!

@DataDude I've only been here a couple years almost now, but we've seen all the major manufacturers have some sort of event. I don't think manus like pxg or miura will really do something as they are bigger boutique brands, but I agree it would be cool to have them or even smaller boutique brands that are up and coming have something with THP

Even Miura has been a part of THP through written review though which is great.

I tend to lean towards the same mindset as the OP. From a cost perspective I think being involved here in any capacity is a no brainer especially those who are in need of a supporting fan base. I think it’s a great way to create brand ambassadors and that’s probably one of the reasons why we have such great support from the industry.

Your observation has merit.

Without this site, my bag doesn't have the same clubs in it. ;)

I know what you are saying. I am in the process of replacing my driver, fairways and hybrids. I truly appreciate the reviews on THP. And because of the reviews and feedback and my own testing, I now have a new Cleveland 3w and 4h in my bag. Without the reviews on THP, I don’t think I would have even considered the new Cleveland equipment for my bag.

I don’t know what works or not for equipment companies. They have their agenda and bottom line. I won’t avoid or dis a company that doesn’t involve in a THP event/experience. I want what’s best for me. The biggest value to me (n =1) is the community and culture here.

By sharing our equipment experiences we are all reviewing a huge range of equipment. As a mid-cap, still learning golfer, I struggle to relate to reviews by scratch or better golfers. I love when I see feedback that doesn’t fit the standard narrative. It is also rare to see the smug better-player-than-thou put downs of an opinion here that I have seen elsewhere. This culture makes two-way golf talk valuable to hacks like me.

I love THP events that emphasize new equipment where we see a lense into the golfer’s experience. I can sit at home and learn from the experience. I see someone higher cap and an OTT swing and process feedback with context. I can relate. And that participant is just as engaged and valued as a THP-event-regular, THP staff member, manufacturer personality, or scratch level participant. I like that. That builds credibility. The emphasis on golfers and not the few is where I find value.

I hope more companies engage THP. Josh and Morgan are total pro at their work. It would be hard to find a better opportunity or open-minded community of real golfers.

I hope more companies engage THP.

See my post above. We work with every brand in golf and just about every brand in golf will have their equipment at a THP Event or Experience this year and certainly next year.

first, i appreciate the opportunities thp and its sponsors/relationships provide for us.

but to go above and beyond, it means so much more to me when the oem actively engages with us. whether on the forum or at an event. it’s one thing to throw a couple clubs our way, but it’s elevated to a level that rises to a first look if the oem makes themselves available for questions. that shows me they care about our community, and makes me care more about them.

Back