Wilson D7, Wilson D9... Advice

collegefbfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the many replies on my other posts. Okay, please hear me out. As far as newer equipment goes, I have to watch the budget. As far as playing golf goes, there are a couple of decent courses around here. I don't have the money to play multiple times each week. I want new GI/SGI irons to go out to the driving range, hit the restaurant/golf simulator that is close by, and take to my lessons. A good friend of mine lives in Myrtle Beach and knows some easy courses. Go to those, maybe. I am looking at the Wilson D7 and Wilson D9 irons. I like the look of both. They are plain, but so am I. I know they won't have the resale value of bigger brands, but I will keep these for awhile anyway. I found the D7's for $299 and the D9's for $349. I am okay with the difference. Is that big of a difference in these irons? I am looking to hit the ball straight, plenty of forgiveness, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

If… I had the opportunity… I would hit each model in a hitting bay. There will likely be subtle differences… showing you which one feels better - or - seems like a better “fit” to your particular swing.

If… I had the opportunity… I would hit each model in a hitting bay. There will likely be subtle differences… showing you which one feels better - or - seems like a better “fit” to your particular swing.
If I can find some place within an hour, I need to do that. I wonder if that place would still carry the D7's. Thanks for the quick reply.

Watched reviews on youtube? The D9 has great reviews and I just picked up a used set of d9 5-gw with graphite for $275.

Either will work just fine. I have the D7s as my backup set, they're large and extremely forgiving. I've always found W/S SGI irons to be very easy to hit.

Now as I said before, totally new to the game except I have had three lessons, but a couple of those instructors made me wanna just quit. A beginner looking for GI/SGI irons doesn't need forged, right?

Now as I said before, totally new to the game except I have had three lessons, but a couple of those instructors made me wanna just quit. A beginner looking for GI/SGI irons doesn't need forged, right?

defiantly not, usually forged are "harder" to hit. I have been, but mabye jumped into the deep end too soon, my new GI (TM Qi) irons are very forgiving in contrast to the D9 Forged!

Yeah. The D9 are only $50 more than the D7. Where I live, we only have one locally owned store. Choices are very limited. He has neither of these. And the fact of opening new clubs is something I have never experienced.

Yeah. The D9 are only $50 more than the D7. Where I live, we only have one locally owned store. Choices are very limited. He has neither of these. And the fact of opening new clubs is something I have never experienced.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my D9 but the Taylormade irons, really do help all round.. I mean I don’t struggle for distance, but the off centre hits etc still travel. Plus my launch is a bit higher in flight, as I tend to usually be a bit lower, so that’s nice to see.

Fitting definitely helps, but if your limited in your area.. have you thought about online?

Mabye get a fitting and pay x amount for it. Get your specs and order online with your specs?

American Golf here in the UK we’re great, free fittings, although most charge, for example a place near the beach in Aberdeen change £40 a fitting and deductible if you buy some equipment..

I'd personally go a little higher and get Launcher HB Turbos used: http://tinyurl.com/572a9me6

Older set, I had these for 10 years and was very pleased. Cleveland HB3's.

You’ll find either of these used or possibly new online. I’d just suggest a regular flex shaft. You said you liked the look so don’t cloud your mind with other stuff. More importantly find a person to give you some lessons. Understand money is an option but you’ll get a good return on the investment

Yes! Thanks folks. I feel it is a little useless getting fitted at the moment. I don’t have a consistent swing yet. I have three lessons coming up. I practiced a bit in the backyard with my SW yesterday before this god awful rain paid a visit. I did okay, but did totally miss hitting two balls. If I were to get fitted now, I could here the guy saying, “Have you ever swung a club in your life?”

Don’t forget we all start down this road for the first time at some point. Enjoy the game and the learning. Have fun

I would say look for something that looks good to you… irregardless of name brand, just something that may work for one or two years - as you try to grasp what you are trying to do. I also would start with a senior or regular flex. There are decent things out there… even just starting with a 6 or 7 iron. Take it easy… we all look back and see how we might have done things differently.

Yes! Thanks folks. I feel it is a little useless getting fitted at the moment. I don’t have a consistent swing yet. I have three lessons coming up. I practiced a bit in the backyard with my SW yesterday before this god awful rain paid a visit. I did okay, but did totally miss hitting two balls. If I were to get fitted now, I could here the guy saying, “Have you ever swung a club in your life?”
Best post I've ever read about fitting was from @vgolfman, linked below. Keep in mind that he is the Director of Custom Fitting and Player Performance for Callaway Golf, so he knows a thing or two about fittings:

He was also a guest on @Canadan's Off Course podcast a few months ago and had a great discussion there about fitting, it's worth a listen:

Oh, I get that. Great read. But like my swing is nowhere near established. Like one swing might be 72 mph, one might be 79 mph. Very few on the same plane probably also.

Oh, I get that. Great read. But like my swing is nowhere near established. Like one swing might be 72 mph, one might be 79 mph. Very few on the same plane probably also.
Why do you think "very few on the same plane"? Do you have data to support that? I've talked about this many, many times before, but most player's swings repeat waaaayyyy more than they think. Face angle and low point can and do vary, but the rest of the swing metrics are fairly consistent for most players. Example: Let's take a player who swings "over the top" and has out-to-in swing path of around 3-5 degrees, a downward AoA at -1-3 degrees and swings the driver at 95 mph. One one swing, the player presents the face just on degree closed to path, which results in a shot that starts left and curves slightly more left. The next swing, the player presents the face 3 degrees open to path, which results in a shot the starts straight but then has a pretty decent slight on it. With those two swings the face angle was only 4 degrees apart (comparison-just one second on a clock face is 6 degrees) but the end shot results was probably 35 yards horizontal dispersion (and that is assuming the face impact points were identical, which they most likely would not have been) and the player says, "See my swing doesn't repeat!", but everything but face angle was the same.

You should do what you are comfortable fitting wise, but the "I'm not good enough" or "My swing isn't good enough" or "I can't repeat my swing" comments are very, very, very rarely true to make a fitting a valuable and game enhancing experience.

Why do you think "very few on the same plane"? Do you have data to support that? I've talked about this many, many times before, but most player's swings repeat waaaayyyy more than they think. Face angle and low point can and do vary, but the rest of the swing metrics are fairly consistent for most players. Example: Let's take a player who swings "over the top" and has out-to-in swing path of around 3-5 degrees, a downward AoA at -1-3 degrees and swings the driver at 95 mph. One one swing, the player presents the face just on degree closed to path, which results in a shot that starts left and curves slightly more left. The next swing, the player presents the face 3 degrees open to path, which results in a shot the starts straight but then has a pretty decent slight on it. With those two swings the face angle was only 4 degrees apart (comparison-just one second on a clock face is 6 degrees) but the end shot results was probably 35 yards horizontal dispersion (and that is assuming the face impact points were identical, which they most likely would not have been) and the player says, "See my swing doesn't repeat!", but everything but face angle was the same.

You should do what you are comfortable fitting wise, but the "I'm not good enough" or "My swing isn't good enough" or "I can't repeat my swing" comments are very, very, very rarely true to make a fitting a valuable and game enhancing experience.
Wow! I didn't know some of that stuff. Maybe I meant the angle/impact that the clubhead makes contact with the ball. I hit about 60 balls at the range the other day with a friend. Spaced it out with driver, 6, 7, and 8 iron. I swung with some decent power on two of those balls and didn't even hit the ball. I hit 4 or 5 that rolled 30 yards and hit 4 or 5 that rolled 60-80 yards. I hit a few that went immediately left, a couple that went immediately right. Dang, I even hit one that went left and back through my legs. I feel (and could be wrong here) that this stuff is more "lessons" factors than club fitting factors. I am signing up for a 3 lesson package at a pretty good price. Many thanks for this information. I need all the help I can get.

Wow! I didn't know some of that stuff. Maybe I meant the angle/impact that the clubhead makes contact with the ball. I hit about 60 balls at the range the other day with a friend. Spaced it out with driver, 6, 7, and 8 iron. I swung with some decent power on two of those balls and didn't even hit the ball. I hit 4 or 5 that rolled 30 yards and hit 4 or 5 that rolled 60-80 yards. I hit a few that went immediately left, a couple that went immediately right. Dang, I even hit one that went left and back through my legs. I feel (and could be wrong here) that this stuff is more "lessons" factors than club fitting factors. I am signing up for a 3 lesson package at a pretty good price. Many thanks for this information. I need all the help I can get.

stick with it mate. its a process, but worth it in the end dude, for sure.

Wilson irons are good. They are a great starting point if they are not grossly long or short for you based on your static measurements

I play d9 forged. But, I have 3 sets of prior generations casts irons in my basement. All play well for me. When I hit a bad shot it is my issue not my irons

I'd just get the cheapest ones. Or don't get either and buy that hitting strip I told you about 🤔

I'd just get the cheapest ones. Or don't get either and buy that hitting strip I told you about 🤔
Actually the place had a 10 percent discount. So, the D9's came out to just about 15 bucks more that the D7's.

Get the newer D9 and move on. About as foregiving a head as you can get and learn to play a great game. Both of these choices are light years easlier to hit then the old set of Powerbuilt irons my Father gave me in 1990. In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find more forgiving irons if you were willing to spend 900. and no iron will change bad mechanics that we all have as a starting golfer. Just takes time and practice but the people who stick with golf enjoy the journey.

I have a relative in the minor leagues who wanted to learn to play but did not have much money so we picked him up as set of D7's as this was years ago. He could hit the 5i 230 right off the bat and loved them.

Bought the D9s a year ago. I'm a senior, so replaced the 5 and 6 with D9 hybrids. Great buy and very forgiving.

Back