Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I still think the Cortex is a really serviceable driver. I don’t play it exclusively, but enjoy taking it to the range every so often. Really easy to hit.

Bought a helium from @PapaJohick so once I am cleared to swing going to have some fun testing it against the Atmos Blue.
Excited to see the differences

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I still think the Cortex is a really serviceable driver. I don’t play it exclusively, but enjoy taking it to the range every so often. Really easy to hit.
I’ve enjoyed my time with it. Consistent. Great looks and like you said, easy to swing

Bought a helium from @PapaJohick so once I am cleared to swing going to have some fun testing it against the Atmos Blue.

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Nice, I know you were looking for a new shaft for it.
I still love the looks of it. I might try to find a 9° head instead of the 10.5° I have here and give it another go.

Nice, I know you were looking for a new shaft for it.
I still love the looks of it. I might try to find a 9° head instead of the 10.5° I have here and give it another go.

I still think it’s one of the most under rated drivers ever. Like anything it’s not for everyone but I still if it was from a different manufacturer it would have been in a top spot

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Interested in hearing your thoughts. JB mentioned earlier that he really liked that combination.

Interested in hearing your thoughts. JB mentioned earlier that he really liked that combination.

I am excited to try it out. Hopefully in 3 weeks I can start testing it

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I am excited to try it out. Hopefully in 3 weeks I can start testing it

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
I was hoping that you would heal faster than that... ;)

I put the Cortex head-to-head with my Fly-Z+ today on 5 driving holes. I hadn't hit the Cortex as far as I expected with the 9* head in its stock loft, so I turned it up to the +1* setting. I left the sliding weight all the way back and the 8g weight in the Draw position, which was where I found slightly better results the last time I tinkered with it.

The extra 1* seems to have helped a lot. The ball flight was better; very similar to my Fly-Z+ today. I did block one drive OB with the Cobra. On the other 4 holes with 2 reasonable drives each, Cortex averaged 2 extra yards today (234 - 232). It was wet and soggy, so there was very minimal roll out. On the 1st hole, the Cortex drive got all of 4 feet (yes, feet) of roll out. Hole 6 was the "driest" fairway; Fly-Z+ total distance was 249, Cortex was 246.

I only hit 1 of 5 fairways with the Cortex, losing 2 on each side on the other 4 holes. I found the fairway on 3 of 5 with the Fly-Z+. Every shot was playable, though, except for the OB block.

I had been a little disappointed with this one so far, but today's results are promising. I still don't have as much confidence with it, yet.

Last edited:
This driver has been transformative for my 15yo son as he begins his journey toward trying to make the HS golf team. He has gained as much as 40 yards of carry over his prior Ping Moxie junior driver. Playing on a CC he’s never seen before and playing maybe his first real regulation course he hit 5/7 fairways today and his two misses weren’t bad. He’s a really small kid so it’s hard to assess distance exactly but all I know is he’s hitting it a lot further than he’s used to and he hits it pretty straight.

Got the helium shaft regripped so weather permitting the cortex will be back on the course this coming weekend

This driver has been transformative for my 15yo son as he begins his journey toward trying to make the HS golf team. He has gained as much as 40 yards of carry over his prior Ping Moxie junior driver. Playing on a CC he’s never seen before and playing maybe his first real regulation course he hit 5/7 fairways today and his two misses weren’t bad. He’s a really small kid so it’s hard to assess distance exactly but all I know is he’s hitting it a lot further than he’s used to and he hits it pretty straight.
That's awesome. Good luck to your son.

Got the helium shaft regripped so weather permitting the cortex will be back on the course this coming weekend

I just had a Cortex tip installed on an old Aldila Tour Red atx-55 that I had laying around. So far it feels great and I’m seeing good numbers indoors! Spring is right around the corner!

I got outside for my first round with the Aldila Tour Red atx-55 installed in the Cortex yesterday and it was great! I also moved the sliding weight 1/3rd of the way from the front. For the 2nd half of last season I gamed an F9 with an AD DI, and I hit a few drives yesterday farther than ever before. Most importantly I hit more fairways than I missed while being able to get after it! The Cortex officially earned its starting spot back in the bag thanks to the Aldila!

I was testing some different settings with the Aldila Tour Red atx-55 installed and starting hitting my longest drives ever, with any driver. This is with the weight 1/3rd of the way from the front. At current prices this driver is a steal. I’ve tested it against the SIM, Mavrik, F9 and it still performs just as well for me.

AED534CC-8CD9-42C6-91C0-B92061EDD819.png

Last edited:
Woah! Nice numbers!! There's not much more any other club will do to surpass that!
I'd keep gaming the Cortex!

I was testing some different settings with the Aldila Tour Red atx-55 installed and starting hitting my longest drives ever, with any driver. This is with the weight 1/3rd of the way from the front. At current prices this driver is a steal. I’ve tested it against the SIM, Mavrik, F9 and it still performs just as well for me.

View attachment 8933773
Nice numbers! Glad to hear that the Cortex has the starting spot.

I've been toying with the idea of trying a different shaft as well. Once the statewide stay at home order is lifted I will have to see what the local fitter can do for me.

Hey peeps... First of all, I know, my name coming up must be a blast from the past for y'all Just haven't had a lot of focus on golf in the last 6-7 months or so. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post more on here.

Now to golf. I've seen prices really low on these, and I've been really intrigued since hitting one at a store around when then came out. Currently gaming an R15 12* (and by currently I mean as soon as PA golf courses open again...), but also have a Triton 12* that works fairly well for me also. The question I'd have is this. Do you guys gaming the Cortex think it launches higher, lower, or on par with other drivers out there? Reason I ask is I'm between whether I should go 12* again with it, or if coming down to 10.5 would be feasible with a high enough launching shaft/lofting up via the adapter without introducing too much draw bias. I know a lot of it is swing dependent, but looking for general characteristics here. I have a couple shafts here with Wilson adapters, so I can do done tinkering with launch between those and the stock shaft as well.

Thanks in advance folks! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hey peeps... First of all, I know, my name coming up must be a blast from the past for y'all Just haven't had a lot of focus on golf in the last 6-7 months or so. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post more on here.

Now to golf. I've seen prices really low on these, and I've been really intrigued since hitting one at a store around when then came out. Currently gaming an R15 12* (and by currently I mean as soon as PA golf courses open again...), but also have a Triton 12* that works fairly well for me also. The question I'd have is this. Do you guys gaming the Cortex think it launches higher, lower, or on par with other drivers out there? Reason I ask is I'm between whether I should go 12* again with it, or if coming down to 10.5 would be feasible with a high enough launching shaft/lofting up via the adapter without introducing too much draw bias. I know a lot of it is swing dependent, but looking for general characteristics here. I have a couple shafts here with Wilson adapters, so I can do done tinkering with launch between those and the stock shaft as well.

Thanks in advance folks! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I don't have as much time with mine as others so I might not be the best person to answer. Based on my range sessions I'd say it's on par with others. I have a 9* head and wish I went with the 10 5. I had to crank mine up to 11 to get the flight how I want.

Has anyone tried leaving one of the adjustable weights out? My driver with the Atmos TS Black is coming in at a D8 swing weight. I'm considering moving the 2g to the toe and removing the 8g weight to bring me to D4.

Has anyone tried leaving one of the adjustable weights out? My driver with the Atmos TS Black is coming in at a D8 swing weight. I'm considering moving the 2g to the toe and removing the 8g weight to bring me to D4.

What is the length of the shaft you have it?

What is the head weight coming in at?

Back