Wilson-Staff F5 Fairway Wood Preview

Wilson-Staff F5 Fairway Wood Preview

I think it's the Fubuki Z series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almost bought a 3 wood today but then my better judgement took over and I know I need to hit it first and get fit or risk months of shaft/weight/loft swapping. Is there anywhere that sells these with available customization?

Someone talk me out of buying a 17* from Budget Golf on the Deal of the Day... Anybody gaming these and have thoughts?

I grabbed one, a 13.5* stiff. I hit the F5s for the first time at #StaffProto 2015 before it came out. Granted, my previous 3W was over 15yrs old, so this was a welcome improvement. I rarely use it off the deck (my hybrid or long irons are usually used at that point with my length). So, I tend to use the F5 off the tee for short par 4s, severe doglegs, and where placement is a priority over distance (or my drives would be too far); basically a mini-driver.

I like it, certainly an upgrade for me and what I used to have. A smooth swing gets me results. Plus, current pricing at $90 (not including the available THP discount on the THP homepage for budget golf which might work, yielding $76 before shipping), who could resist? (i couldn't)

One potential drawback, seems to be a little difficult finding the weights for these online, especially if the F5 line is discontinuing / phasing out. For me, the standard weighting seems to work well enough.

I have been looking at getting one too. I was all set this morning to drive down and pick it up since the store is only 45 minutes or so from me but they won't accept the 15% off THP promo in the store so it makes no sense to drive down. Cheaper online for me which is to bad cuz I am sure I would have found other stuff to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone talk me out of buying a 17* from Budget Golf on the Deal of the Day... Anybody gaming these and have thoughts?

For that price decided to order one and see how I like it. Was planning on getting a D300 5 wood but like the adjustable loft of the F5 so should have it in a day or two. Looking forward to trying it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that price decided to order one and see how I like it. Was planning on getting a D300 5 wood but like the adjustable loft of the F5 so should have it in a day or two. Looking forward to trying it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may just follow you down the rabbit hole haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Because of the MC, ill probably be listing my F% 3w up for grabs in the market place soon. This FW is really good. Primarily use it off the tee but with the adjustability, I can set it up for that or loft up if i plan on using it off the deck

Because of the MC, ill probably be listing my F% 3w up for grabs in the market place soon. This FW is really good. Primarily use it off the tee but with the adjustability, I can set it up for that or loft up if i plan on using it off the deck

How does it stack up as far as distance and forgiveness? I'm considering the 17* based on my previous experience with a 17* FG Tour M3, but that club certainly wasn't a distance club and wasn't super forgiving. What it WAS was easy to move the ball left and right, a great off the deck club, and it felt and sounded fantastic. If the F5 is this with a little extra forgiveness, sign me up. I like my XR16 19*, but it's not super easy to hit cuts with it, which is my favorite shot to hit with an off-the-deck fairway wood.

How does it stack up as far as distance and forgiveness? I'm considering the 17* based on my previous experience with a 17* FG Tour M3, but that club certainly wasn't a distance club and wasn't super forgiving. What it WAS was easy to move the ball left and right, a great off the deck club, and it felt and sounded fantastic. If the F5 is this with a little extra forgiveness, sign me up. I like my XR16 19*, but it's not super easy to hit cuts with it, which is my favorite shot to hit with an off-the-deck fairway wood.

Well you're in luck. I've gamed the FG tour M3 as well. I noticed a more penetrating ball flight which lead to more distance. Also easier to hit I would say. But overall it is a lower ball flight then the FG tour M3. At least that's my experience. I have played around with hitting low and hiting high off the tee and it does it just fine. So you can definitely adjust.

Well you're in luck. I've gamed the FG tour M3 as well. I noticed a more penetrating ball flight which lead to more distance. Also easier to hit I would say. But overall it is a lower ball flight then the FG tour M3. At least that's my experience. I have played around with hitting low and hiting high off the tee and it does it just fine. So you can definitely adjust.

Sweet. Major ponder here. Sounds like it could be a real weapon lofted up to 18* or 19*.

Well, had my first round of the year, opted to use my FGTourF5 3W instead of driver off the tee this time. yeah, definitely a good acquisition for me. I got a lot of good roll-out even on soft fairways, and good penetrating flight, certainly more than my previous 3W. Again, I rarely decide there is a need to use my 3W off the deck, so.....it is essentially another option off the tee for me now.
Also, able to match or clear my buddies' drives in terms of distance consistently, and they are no slouch with their driver. Standard weighting was fine for me.

Had a couple shots nearer the toe, but still had a draw and good distance. Certainly forgiving, more so than what I am used to.

So, my conclusion is that at the current prices you could get one of these, a justifiable cost-benefit choice compared to my previous gamer. Thinking this will help on more difficult and/or shorter par 4s.

Well, had my first round of the year, opted to use my FGTourF5 3W instead of driver off the tee this time. yeah, definitely a good acquisition for me. I got a lot of good roll-out even on soft fairways, and good penetrating flight, certainly more than my previous 3W. Again, I rarely decide there is a need to use my 3W off the deck, so.....it is essentially another option off the tee for me now.
Also, able to match or clear my buddies' drives in terms of distance consistently, and they are no slouch with their driver. Standard weighting was fine for me.

Had a couple shots nearer the toe, but still had a draw and good distance. Certainly forgiving, more so than what I am used to.

So, my conclusion is that at the current prices you could get one of these, a justifiable cost-benefit choice compared to my previous gamer. Thinking this will help on more difficult and/or shorter par 4s.

Great to hear that you are happy with your F5 3 wood! :good:

How do you use the THP discount code?

Great stick for all inquiring., especially with the adjustability. Another under the radar club for sure. Only downfall to me is if you loft up it starts to shut the face. Nonetheless an awesome underrated stick and I've got the 3 and 5 wood.

Thank you. Just pulled the trigger on one of these.

I am considering buying one of these from Budget Golf. Its a great buy but would love some feedback from anyone who has played it.

I am considering buying one of these from Budget Golf. Its a great buy but would love some feedback from anyone who has played it.

I picked up a 17 degree last night from Budgetgolf, figure 42.00 shipped was worth a try. I really like 4 woods.

got one 2 weeks ago off ebay from them. What I did was buy the FG5 driver and I cut 1 inch off the driver and changed the grip out to keep my swing weight at D4. Then I ordered the 17 degree club. Basically a 5w length shaft with 4w loft. Club out of the box plays a D0 which is a bit light for me. Instead of putting a lighter weight grip on, I installed the 11g weight out of my driver set and got SW up to D3.

I hit the club as a D0 and hit it very well but was finding it too easy to hook. Need to hit it again tomorrow with the increased SW and likely problem gone.
For $40 this is a no brainer. Club hits as well as the big name woods I hit over the years if the shaft is right.

update on the 4w

ball really looks good in flight and appears to penetrate but after two rounds of in game use, I don't get the distance of my old Cleveland 5w which is 2 degree's weaker and a fraction of an inch shorter. something about the shaft not ideal for the qualities and defects in my swing. I could see how someone else may get different results because the ball sure looks nice in flight.

I bought the 13.5 3 wood a few weeks back and have a similar likening to the clubs ability to shape shots. I need to spend more time with it in practice. I almost wish I had bought the 15degree but I can adjust the lift if needed. For the money it’s a great club for me. Sound is no issue as well

Back