Women specific putters: what do you think?

ShortButCrooked

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for some input from the ladies in the house.

My wife is set for her clubs. She plays the TM Miscela SW - 5 hybrid, Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid, and Callaway Big Bertha 3 & 5 woods. We recently upgraded her driver from an old Callaway Hawkeye to the new FT-9. She loves her clubs (although she mentions Adams hybrids as a potential next set for her).

The one thing she needs (ok, not needs but wants) is a new putter. She has been using an old Odyssey Rossie. Her height is 5'1" so we cut down the original shaft to a length she felt comfortable with. My guess is it's 31.5 or 32" in length.

Now I see both Odyssey and Cleveland (and I'm sure others) are offering ladies' putters. In addition to them coming stock in shorter lengths, they offer 'softer lines' and 'more feminine' colors than their male counterparts.

What do you think? Good idea? Marketing? Do you use a ladies' specific putter? Any recommendations? I think she would like the Odyssey Divine Line Marxman (she has a preference for mallet putters). Finally, what length would you recommend? I see it comes in 1/2" increments starting at 31". Normally, it would be great to have her try it, but I can't imagine golf stores (even completely women equipment-stocked stores like Golfsmith:wink:) carrying these in different lengths. Plus, I'm thinking of just getting her one as a surprise.

GG has used both and currently games the Nickent Ladies Putter and likes it a lot. Before that she was using a White Hot Fang.

I want to add one more thing. I think that with the customization in weighting and length in todays putters, going female specific might limit you a little bit.

Thanks JB. I think I understand. Women specific models are limited? Maybe a better option is to buy a putter where you can add or remove weight and then cut down the length, and adjust weight so it feels right? Is that what you mean?

What I meant by that is that there are a limited number of putters available that are designed for women only. As for choices, most putters it seems are available shorter and that will help.

There is no need for a women's specific putter. What is the benefit for the women? I think that is a total gimmick. Just get her the putter that feels best for her, if it is one of the women's great, if not great. The length is the only thing that may be a benefit and that is easy enough to have adjusted.

I am a short chick at 5'2". I have owned several putters (and have 3 of my own in our garage collection).

I have only purchased one "lady" putter, a Yes Tiffany. I think the lady version of that is just shorter (33"), with a pink grip and paint-fill. All the rest of my putter have just been shorter men's putters. I like look of the Odyssey Divine Line, but I do not like the XG insert at all. I think the Divine Line Marxman looks better than the men's version (and I had the men's version at one point in time).

I had one putter that felt too heavy to me-the 2 ball radius with the steel insert-it was actually hard to hold it still behind the ball.

I do not think that a woman's putter is needed for a woman to putt better. It would just be a matter of preference. And if you buy her any putter at 33" it is easily shortened to the exact length that she feels comfortable with.

I putt with a 33" putter, but I like to choke down (or grip down or whatever the term is) on shorter putts. My husband got me a Scotty Cameron 2.6 for our 15th anniversary (yes, I asked for a putter, lol). I like the clean look at address and the nice feel when I hit one in the center of the face.

I would get her whatever she likes the look and feel of best. It only matters to her if she wants a woman's specific putter.

I :love: my Tiger Shark Juli Inkster putter. I think it has a smoother and lighter feel than the men's putters I've tried. I don't know if that's because it's a women's putter or just because it is the putter it is...I tried a couple in the store and it won.

Take this with a grain of salt though...I'm 5'6"/5'7".

(Good call on the Cally Big Berthas, that's what I swing. :wink:)

Agree totally with Soxy and KoKo. I'd hestitate to give a putter as a surprise, because they are so personal.

Agree totally with Soxy and KoKo. I'd hestitate to give a putter as a surprise, because they are so personal.

Agreed.

Let her try some, too. :smile:

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being pulled into a store, handed several to start with, and told "pick one, it's on me!"

Or go with a SeeMore, everybody likes SeeMores. hehe

I bought my wife a set of Adams Hybrids in May in hopes of getting her to take up the game- which she DID!

She tried several putters but ended up with the ladies Rife 2-bar Tour Hybrid Mallet. She LOVES the adjustable weights, and the alignment tool and instructions that came with it allowed her to set it up to her liking. She's using the heavier weight set. I THINK it's a 32" putter. And I KNOW it's got pink fill and a pink cover. LOL!

She's only 5'3" and her putting improved DRAMATICALLY once she got this thing adjusted and aligned- compared to her previous putter. She sank a long, snaking 35' downhill putt with it her first time out. And for what it's worth, I was SO IMPRESSED with her putter, that I bought the men's version of the same putter for myself as you can see in my WITB.

Just bought her a new Ping Rhapsody driver today so she's a happy camper!!

Good luck in your search.

And for what it's worth, I was SO IMPRESSED with her putter, that I bought the men's version of the same putter for myself as you can see in my WITB.

With pink fill and matching pink cover? :angel:

Just bought her a new Ping Rhapsody driver today so she's a happy camper!!

I love my Rhapsody!

And I've been having such trouble with my putting lately I'm willing to blame the equipment instead of the golfer.

Thank you everyone for the inputs. Ya, I think we need to go to a shop and have her try stuff out. But it sounds like several of you are using a ladies' putter. That's good to know. I know we can cut down a men's putter, but it will feel different. I'd rather have her buy the exact putter she wants off the shelf.

Pinged, thank you for the idea of trying a putter with adjustable weights. That could be a good way to go.

Koko, thank you for your input as a 'short chick'. It's interesting you putt with a relatively long putter and like to choke down. My wife likes to do that as well with all her clubs.

I am 95% sure (which is as sure as any guy can be about what his woman wants) that she is going to want a ladies' putter. She's likes 'girlie' things. I recently bought her a Hello Kitty golf cap ball marker, and based on her reaction, you would have thought I bought her a diamond necklace.

I recently bought her a Hello Kitty golf cap ball marker, and based on her reaction, you would have thought I bought her a diamond necklace.

Lucky you--that definitely would not fly in my household!

My fiancee has her eye on the Cleveland VP509 putter.
10038720.jpg

Back