Worth it to go to the driving range in the cold?

David7

Reaction score
Handicap
Thinking about hitting a bucket tomorrow in the afternoon but the high will be 40 degrees. I can bundle up and have a golf jacket I can swing smoothly in.

If I don’t get out tomorrow I’ll have to skip this week due to obligations.

Would you go to the range in the cold?

I dont like to do anything in the cold, so it's a no for me.

I’ll practice in cold weather every chance I get. But if you want to improve, you’ll do nothing that I do. :p

Nothing wrong with missing a practice if you’re on a schedule. Sometimes there’s more benefit in taking a small break.

I probably wouldn't do it, especially if I was working on something. If my options were range vs indoor sim vs nothing at 40 degrees I would do the sim then the nothing would be to get something else done in the list of my to-do's so the next nice day where I have that choice to make I'll just go and do the golf stuff because I already knocked something else on that list out.

Absolutely I would. The garage gets down to -5C sometimes in the winter so I’ve swung in worse.

During our winter, most courses are closed anyway. We do have several ranges that are 'enclosed' with heaters at each stall. I certainly have been to those when temps are in the 20's/30's(f)... HOWEVER- I will check the weather for wind direction. If, for example, the temps are in the 30's or lower and the wind is straight into the stall, that's a no. Even the heaters can't over come the wind chill. Any other direction is fine, since I am down to shirtsleeves pretty quick. I can't stand loose 'stuff' (jackets, sweaters, etc...) on my arms while playing if I can avoid it. I may occasionally wear a tighter thermal type of shirt if it's on the lower temp scale. The other 'sometimes' issue is if the balls have been left overnight (I usually get there right after opening) and have not been allowed to get washed in hot water yet and are cold. Not as big a deal since I don't worry about distance anyway.

I don’t love hitting balls when it is cold. If it isn’t windy I would do it but cold and windy is a no. I would play golf at 40* but I am walking which keeps me warmer.

I would do it if I was working on something specific. The range I go to most often has three hitting bays inside the clubhouse with garage doors that open out to the range so you can hit balls inside to out. I can practice all year long.

My simple thought is this. If I'm going play in any kind of weather, I need to practice in it. I need to know how the ball reacts coming off the club face.

Yes. If I can work on drills and swing path, I'd be fine with 40 degrees. I won't expect 100%, full range of motion, but it is great to keep the swing going.

I only go to the range anymore if I’m working on something specific and need to see ball flight. It’s just not a good experience hitting off mats and with terrible balls. Even when they open the grass areas your still hitting the same awful balls.

Thinking about hitting a bucket tomorrow in the afternoon but the high will be 40 degrees. I can bundle up and have a golf jacket I can swing smoothly in.

Where are you going? If you don't mind the condtions, I think it's good to start getting out and hit some balls.

II would. If nothing else jaut getting the body to swing and loosen up had value in my opinion.

I also use golf to decompress and have some time for me so that factors into my choice.

Upper 40s with lots of sunshine and no wind? Yes, I'll usually give it a go.

Depends if it’s 40 and crappy or 40 and nice. I don’t mind to pass on the full swing for short stuff.

depends. If I am working on stuff...after 2 or 3 balls I don't notice the cold. If I am hitting balls...no.

But each person reacts to weather differently. I prefer somewhat cold to hot...i find I can warm up much easier than I can cool down.

But if you are someone who needs bulky clothes to be warm...you probably will derive little benefit as it will restrict/alter your swing.

Do you golf in the cold? If so it is good practice to see what changes you have to make to make swings in the cold. I play in the rain every now and again and I won't go to the range in the rain but that is my only exception. I love going to the range on windy days because I am able to really practice my inability to hit low shots. I want to see how much the ball moves in the wind. Obviously you have to take some of it with a grain of salt because you are using range balls but I still like to practice in odd conditions so I am not thrown off when I need to play in wind or cold.

If you're working on drills, swing mechanics, etc. then yes. But don't worry about distances, they will never be accurate with range balls in the cold.

I’ve been going once or twice a week all winter.The balls are crap and hitting off a mat is no pleasure either.But when you live in the Midwest during the winter what other options do you have?And ironically the range I went to is always jam packed..our heated dome is by appointment/tee time.Its crazy how many people have taken up the game In the last few years

40 is nice. Have a plan and go.

I went to the range all of the way through the winter. It didn't ever get really cold here but enough to wrap up and for the range balls to feel like bricks.

Worked a lot on my shorter game, kept moving, kept the benefits of just being outdoors - albeit only under a tin roof in a bay and chilling hitting balls.

Certainly didn't get stressed about distance or feel.

I hate the cold. But if it was my only chance and I was really jonesing to get out there, I'd suck it up and do it, even if it was only a short session. Then spend the next two hours whining about how the cold sucks and how I can't feel my hands and my snot is frozen and how much I hate winter and isn't it freaking summer yet?!?

As soon as a local driving range opens, I will go hit cold temps or not. After a winter with only sim golf, it helps me to hit balls outside and see the ball flight, even if that means I get a few thin zingers in the cold.

Is that cold? Just kidding, I always choose range time if possible. There's always something to work on in delivery, even when it's cooler out there.

Back