Would you have counted it?

You're going to run into this type of incident for a while now. I would count it. At the end of the day, you can never really know for sure whether it was holed or not, especially at speed.
Just remember that when it comes back around to you. When he becomes a Richard when you hole it! :rolleyes:

We have the same contraptions on our course. The sliding cover that goes over the stick is thicker. There is a bit of give to it but not much, if you hit it to hard it won't drop. So no was not a holed putt.

If he hit it straight on at a pace that wouldn't have gone over a hole without a pin, I would have given it to him. I'm not known for that, but those metal lift things are pretty ball blocky. They really limit a balls ability to go down into the hole easily.

In means in. Unless there's a local rule that allows a bounce off the lifting contraption, it's not in.

The USGA has already issued a ruling re: COVID-19 contraptions in the cup and basically it says to make a judgement call. Hard to tell without being there, but I'd have to go with the consensus of the group.

The USGA has already issued a ruling re: COVID-19 contraptions in the cup and basically it says to make a judgement call. Hard to tell without being there, but I'd have to go with the consensus of the group.

USGA aside... Just determine how you want to handle it before the round, not after a putt that either helps/hurts you or a competitor.

This putt had enough speed it could have been questionable without the metal rod.

Therein lies the answer. Enough said. Not holed.

USGA aside... Just determine how you want to handle it before the round, not after a putt that either helps/hurts you or a competitor.

Far be it from me to think that since this happened in league play the RoG would be expected.

Nope. Wouldn't have counted. Would've felt bad for the guy, but thems the breaks in COVID-19/20

Nope. Wouldn't have counted. Would've felt bad for the guy, but thems the breaks in COVID-19/20

COVID-20? Careful what you wish for. We're still reeling from 19.

COVID-20? Careful what you wish for. We're still reeling from 19.

My understanding is that 19 from COVID-19 refers to the year it started. (I could be wrong) Since we're in 2020, I just updated the name a bit. Definitely not wishing for anything other than a vaccine.

My understanding is that 19 from COVID-19 refers to the year it started.

Yes. The year it started. In 2030, this will still be COVID-19. I'm not sure what they'd do if 2 novel coronaviruses were discovered in the same year. Maybe a & b. Hopefully, we never find out.

Yes. The year it started. In 2030, this will still be COVID-19. I'm not sure what they'd do if 2 novel coronaviruses were discovered in the same year. Maybe a & b. Hopefully, we never find out.

"Technically, Nahm . . ."

It would have to be a and b or some such subdesignation only if two viruses were discovered in the same month. The D in Covid stands for December.

A Richard doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. Not in.

I would of said its in....unless like mentioned if he would of hammered it so hard just to hit it to say its in thats a different story.

Like the guy or not.......my opinion

I would of said its in....unless like mentioned if he would of hammered it so hard just to hit it to say its in thats a different story.

I agree. The Rules (and current guidance) are clear and there's no caveat for mean people.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

No worries. I knew I'd heard that a long time ago, but I was surprised to find out that it was named in December because I know I'd read that it supposedly started in October sometime.

No worries. I knew I'd heard that a long time ago, but I was surprised to find out that it was named in December because I know I'd read that it supposedly started in October sometime.

It made sense to me because I remember December 31 as the date China first reported it to the WHO.

My stance is he needs to play by the same rules that he would hold others accountable to. The speed is an opinion, we don't really know what would happen. He could say it would have dropped where I think the speed wouldn't have made it drop.

We work together and I get along with him quite well...... unless we are playing competitive against each other. He has a reputation in the league like I said before. I just enjoy holding him to the same standards he calls others out on.

I don't know if I posted this earlier but our league voted "rules official" and most of the people who play in the league say it's not in. Now is that because we all know his reputation..... that could be some of it. The official league stance is, it didn't drop, it doesn't count.

If it's a formal competition or one where all is expected to hole out, no, regardless of him being a jerk. It's no good.

But, wrt Covid contraptions for all other rounds, it's really easy to see what absolutely would've been good. So I give those.

Putt was holed. Viewing it otherwise is inappropriate. The contraptions put into the holes for safety are not uniform. That's my view.

So with Covid going my league course has the lifting contraptions in the cups. The guy I was playing had a 4' ish putt for par to tie me for the hole, he hit it a bit hard and it hit the metal rod portion of the contraption and bounced out to about 4". Walking off he said he got a par, I said no, the ball wasn't holed therefore he had a bogey. What is your take internet friends :)

View attachment 8950754

Backstory...... This is my coworker and he becomes super competitive when golfing. He will look for any infraction he can to attempt to gain an edge and win. If it would have happened to someone else he would have said it didn't count and would have called him on it. To the point people dread playing him in league because he becomes quite the "Richard" and it's not a fun casual round.

Thats one of the dumbest looking covid related hole fillers ive seen. Hope your dying it in the hole....

A Richard doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. Not in.
I applaud this attitude. In fact, it would surprise no one for me to actually say something like 'Doesn't count. If you weren't a ****, maybe.'

It was a par, if he was playing with my group. We give anything that rolls over any part of the cup or hits the flagstick.

Back