Would You Sponsor Him: Bryson DeChambeau Edition

As an emerging company absolutely. It would certainly put the brand out there and he seems like someone who would generate a lot of talk about the clubs because of he how he is about equipment. Don't know the profit margin of drivers vs iron sales but im guessing adding him as the face would get attention and looks particularly as to the driver that an emerging company would not get otherwise. And every event he is playing in wearing the company's logo on his hat, using the clubs what is that worth in the way of free advertising every time the camera is on him. Yes I would sign him up and take a shot.

Some, not all. Lots of guys still in original Sim. Spieth has finally switched to newer equipment. He is a unique signing as well. Think about it for the club company. He has no main Titleist logos on himself or his bag. He doesnt use social media. So its up to the company only to talk about his equipment, otherwise its not seen or heard. Bryson is the opposite, where he talks about his equipment unlike most of the tour, with maybe the exception of Rahm who has made it known he believes he is playing better because of his gear change. So obviously with talking about your gear, you get the negative, like what Bryson did, but I am not sure I understand the ROI aspect on equipment with Bryson, when comparing to other players. If other guys are selling equipment, Bryson certainly is, being the most talked about player on tour and the longest on tour. Of course with that, you get the negative.
That’s right, it was big news here when Spieth was using the new irons, but I can’t remember them talking about it on the broadcast. I love the Tour equipment content Johnny brings from Callaway and the guy with the beard from TaylorMade. I’d like to think there’s a big enough market for this content, but I don’t know the marketing side well enough. Still, I’d sponsor Bryson based on OL alone.

If I am running a business, I am looking at the bottom-dollar, appeasing investors, etc. and as such, would absolutely sponsor him.

Doesn't mean I like him, but it makes "business sense" as they say.

For me 'emerging' company is the key there. If you can use his exposure to build a quick following and maximize advertising dollars without being tied to a long term partnership, absolutely.

Pretty much every other scenario, no. Unless I could clause the **** out of that contract.

No, I don't take the chance on Bryson... the chance that he'll throw my company under the bus in a fit of frustration. I'm being paid by shareholders to protect the brand and having Bryson on staff isn't conducive to that end in my opinion.

I also wouldn't want to invest valuable capital, resources, and time into one length. While I want to be funny and say "like anything more than 64 kilobytes of memory, one length clubs are a passing fad!" But I won't. I just don't want my company to be seen as pulling a "me too!!!" with one length.

Honestly, I'd get better press from hiring a streaker in a horse head mask to run across Augusta National flying my companies logo. But the bad press from that would prevent me from doing that.:ROFLMAO:

For my upstart company to make itself a name, I'm going after the hungry players on the feeder tours. I can lock some of these promising players up in contracts for a portion of what Bryson would command. Plus, I'd also go for the good amateur. Not the ones at the #1 amateur ranking... the ones closer to positions 2-10... and a few at the bottom. Got to have some good will there. Maybe those players could use just a little bit of a push... and it wouldn't just be the Korn Ferry... there are other capable players out there... and college teams... and high schools...

And my social media team would get the name out there with contests, and surprise visits to various golf courses... not just Bethpage Black and Pinehurst... but goat tracks and small time golf courses... and random players would get to sample and possibly keep the gear.

Some, not all. Lots of guys still in original Sim. Spieth has finally switched to newer equipment. He is a unique signing as well. Think about it for the club company. He has no main Titleist logos on himself or his bag. He doesnt use social media. So its up to the company only to talk about his equipment, otherwise its not seen or heard. Bryson is the opposite, where he talks about his equipment unlike most of the tour, with maybe the exception of Rahm who has made it known he believes he is playing better because of his gear change. So obviously with talking about your gear, you get the negative, like what Bryson did, but I am not sure I understand the ROI aspect on equipment with Bryson, when comparing to other players. If other guys are selling equipment, Bryson certainly is, being the most talked about player on tour and the longest on tour. Of course with that, you get the negative.
I think Jon Rahm has been an awesome spokesman for Callaway. He's been very open and vocal about what he feels are his improvements due to his equipment change, without sounding like a ho' about it. And he's matured and shed the baggage he used to carry about his temper, become a pretty measured and thoughtful player without turning into a complete emotionless automaton. I really like where he's at right now.

Bryson's a unique sponsorship opportunity because A. he's usually a good player and B. he brings more focus onto his gear than any other golfer in the sport.

Colin Morikawa, for example, has never made me want to buy a set of Taylormade irons. His gear doesn't matter 1/10th as much as his own skill; you get the feeling that he could be out there hitting 200 yard draws with a stick he found on the course. But when Bryson starts playing a set of one-length irons, it gets your interest. This is a mad scientist who's looking to optimize his clubs from every possible angle, what does he know that I don't?

Yeah, he is going to be temperamental - that's the roids. Yeah, he is going to demand a LOT of money and support for things like a mobile club van. But he will sell your clubs in a way that no other guy on Tour really does.

Tbh, I think the only club I've been sold on from a Tour player's name alone is Callaway's PM grind wedge. It's just so off the beaten path as far as design goes, and you think that freakin' Phil has spent a little bit of time looking at his wedge designs? I didn't buy one, but it took a lot of willpower.

Yes I would! The man generates a lot of publicity. Plus, I think your brand automatically gets characterIzed as modern, technology driven, and looking towards the future.

Absolutely not. I cannot imagine the cost / benefit on him would be that good. Does anyone buy something because they want to be like Bryson?

Absolutely not. I cannot imagine the cost / benefit on him would be that good. Does anyone buy something because they want to be like Bryson?
Considering how many OL sets are sold in a year, the answer would be yes, right? He’s the only reason they are back in the mainstream

Yes I would! The man generates a lot of publicity. Plus, I think your brand automatically gets characterIzed as modern, technology driven, and looking towards the future.

So true. Plus, the man is never dull or boring no matter how he plays.

I pass. A lot of off course stuff that I wouldn't want to deal with. Regarding One Length I know sales data says otherwise but I have yet to see a set of OL being played on the course.

So point number two. Do people turn into watching BDC for his driver length and long drive contests or his one-length irons? So despite him previously bashing his driver, people really watch him for his long ball and not his OL wedges. So I'll contradict myself and say maybe sign him for his long game and the OL will be gravy.

I play One Length's, but I do know you're talking in your own experience. For what it's worth, I've never seen anyone playing Titleist irons. But I also rarely look in anyones bag unless I'm playing with them.

I like Bryson. There are things about him I don't like, but he's good for the game. I could see him going without a major equipment contract and just playing Edel's.

I would 100 percent make him the face, personally the golf market as it stands it's already very saturated with a lot of the same product in terms of forgiveness, distance, feel, etc.

One length could fill a niche that no other brand could really fulfill or at the very least capitalize on a market that would have virtually zero competition.

Considering how many OL sets are sold in a year, the answer would be yes, right? He’s the only reason they are back in the mainstream
I would be surprised if the profit on OL sets outweighs how much you have to pay him. I'm sure there is some financial analysis workbook detailing whether or not to sign Bryson. Seems hard to believe because of the amount of people needed to support him. There is not way a team of engineers supports any other player as much as Bryson.

I would be surprised if the profit on OL sets outweighs how much you have to pay him. I'm sure there is some financial analysis workbook detailing whether or not to sign Bryson. Seems hard to believe because of the amount of people needed to support him. There is not way a team of engineers supports any other player as much as Bryson.

I don't think singularly it has to. When you combine that with having hte longest guy on tour, you get something there. I don't think you could make the case that any singular player sells enough product to financially outweigh their contract, although if you could, Bryson being the only player using it would be close.

To dive in a bit deeper, for any companies that advertise (golf or otherwise) there is also a cost of activation associated with marketing. Be it a commercial, paid coverage, etc. With the amount of exposure Bryson gets, that cost of activation is essentially zero. Comparing that to other players, including top players like DJ, etc is a huge minus on the ledger.

I would be surprised if the profit on OL sets outweighs how much you have to pay him. I'm sure there is some financial analysis workbook detailing whether or not to sign Bryson.…..

Don’t forget the apparel side of things. What do you think the margin is on $75 polos & shorts and $150 shoes? The Puma brand is highly visible right now.

Back