Pears

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
20 Grint
Im am looking to try an x-stiff driver shaft on my Cobra F6+ driver. Not looking to spend a ton as Im not sure if Ill even like it. I currently have the stock cobra stiff shaft on it. I have found plenty cheaper priced shafts on ebay but cheaper isnt alway better, I know. Wondering if any of you have had similar ideas and if they were worth the try.

What's your ball flight? What kind of flight are you looking for? Launch? Spin?

I could rattle off a lot of driver shafts I like a lot, but they may not hit your needs.

I could rattle off a lot of driver shafts I like a lot, but they may not hit your needs.

This. Difficult to suggest something blind.

I honestly cant give you answers to those questions. I can tell you I prefer a lower ball flight but for what launch and spin I have no idea.

Went to a pretty decent simulater not to long ago that displayed what your asking but I never payed to close attention. Club head speed was 109+ if that helps...

I know that accuracy trumps distance, but I have to back off on my swing to get any kind if decent drive. I honestly use to drive with a 3 iron. Its most likely my mechanics not the driver but I would like to try something.

I honestly cant give you answers to those questions. I can tell you I prefer a lower ball flight but for what launch and spin I have no idea.

Went to a pretty decent simulater not to long ago that displayed what your asking but I never payed to close attention. Club head speed was 109+ if that helps...

I know that accuracy trumps distance, but I have to back off on my swing to get any kind if decent drive. I honestly use to drive with a 3 iron. Its most likely my mechanics not the driver but I would like to try something.

You could end up doing more harm without knowing your current numbers. Any golf store with a sim should be able to get you basics, launch angle, spin and descent angle will be very helpful.

You could end up doing more harm without knowing your current numbers. Any golf store with a sim should be able to get you basics, launch angle, spin and descent angle will be very helpful.

Makes sense, I want to move forward, not backwards. Ill just have to go back to the sim I was on and hit the range, collect my #'s and go from there.

With that swing speed a stock S flex could be too weak for you. If I was swinging at that speed I would start by trying shafts at x flex.

With that swing speed a stock S flex could be too weak for you. If I was swinging at that speed I would start by trying shafts at x flex.

More to it than just SS. Montgomery plays a HZRDS yellow in regular flex and swings at 108.

I used to be big on blind experimentation with shafts... not the recommended path to take.

Across brands and models, specs, not only can flex vary wildly but also can a golfer's impression wrt flex based upon a given shaft's characteristics.

For years I played an Aldila RIP Alpha-x in driver, then onto a RIP Beta-x, back to the RIP Alpha-x in another driver. Both were quite sturdy shafts.

But despite the stiff designation of my present Matrix Black Tie 6M3, it feels every bit as stable and stout as the RIP shafts that I still own. The Matrix just happens to feel smoother, less harsh overall, more repeatable.

Generally, I found that a shaft designed for low launch will give the sense of increased firmness. A lower trajectory happens to be my preference so that's the shaft I'll always target.

In all things life, I wing it. But to eliminate trial and error, the launch monitor, as you already know, is your friend.

Back