You are playing in a net tournament. What is the lowest score that you think should win?

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So was in a tournament and -8 net won today. There were some grumblings but nobody boo'ed him when he got his trophy. I have seen a room full of people boo a team that won the D flight by 20+ strokes due to their sandbagging.

What score do you see and say they had a good day vs we just got sandbagged? For me -4 or -5 depending to the course. Anything lower and I think someone is fudging.

Individual and stroke play. No gimmicks or mulligans.

So was in a tournament and -8 net won today. There were some grumblings but nobody boo'ed him when he got his trophy. I have seen a room full of people boo a team that won the D flight by 20+ strokes due to their sandbagging.

What score do you see and say they had a good day vs we just got sandbagged? For me -4 or -5 depending to the course. Anything lower and I think someone is fudging.

I think you’re about right. I can see -5.

-4 is a nice number to be happy for someone, but a high cap can always have a great day and blow things up. It happens. There's usually only one person happy about it past that point though.

Based on this chart that the SCGA put out, I’d say -4 net is about the top I’d expect to see in a competition where nerves are usually running higher.
49C28A1F-B63E-487B-92E2-117308893C36.jpeg

I would definitely raise an eyebrow at anything better than -4.

Based on this chart that the SCGA put out, I’d say -4 net is about the top I’d expect to see in a competition where nerves are usually running higher.
View attachment 9099879
I get that but if I use me as an example. I was high teens for awhile and then things clicked. On my path down to 10-12 I got some really good scores as my game improved. I threw in some -5's and -6's and won some money along the way. Of course my handicap caught up with me so it came to an end. I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt but I have seen some stuff man. And I ain't mad at the guy today.

I just went through my summer league rounds, where all of us know each other and there is accountability. It’s a course we all know very well as well. Out of 6 rounds, the lowest score was -7 and two people did it the same round. The next lowest winner was a -5. All other rounds were won at -3 or less. -8 is aggressive.

Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 or 5 under.

Oh and I should say with my example up top with the team winning by over 20 strokes. It was a 4 round event with best ball and scramble rounds mixed in. But still.

-5 is my cut off if a higher cap has a career day.

-5 is my cut off if a higher cap has a career day.
I can see a higher cap going lower, TBH. But it would have to be higher than a 15. I have seen someone who hits the ball log set themselves up nice just by hitting ok shots into the green and making a couple putts. Good golf breads good golf. But I do agree, it has to be an anomaly.

It really depends on the player's handicap and the format. High handicap players generally have more volatility in their scores than a low handicap player. This fact is reflected in the USGA's Exceptional Tournament Score Probability Table. The chances of a 30+ handicap player scoring 5 strokes better than their handicap in tournament play is 1/53. The chance of a scratch or better player doing so is 1/502. 8 strokes still has about a 1/209 probability for the 30+ handicap player, but is statistically impossible for a scratch or better player to do so.

We once had a guy with a declared handicap of 13 shoot a gross even par. Statistically impossible. He was in my foursome and it was clear he was a scratch player. He was banned from our league and referred to the USGA for additional disciplinary action.

I'm thinking -5 is about where I wouldn't question things. Anyone can have a day at any time, but lower than that seems suspicious.

Four or five unless it’s a high cap, then a few more wouldnt get me hot and bothered

I’ve had nets of -6 and -7 in the last year.

I think 4 or 5 is a good number. I can see an 18 shooting 85 on a good day.

I get that but if I use me as an example. I was high teens for awhile and then things clicked. On my path down to 10-12 I got some really good scores as my game improved. I threw in some -5's and -6's and won some money along the way. Of course my handicap caught up with me so it came to an end. I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt but I have seen some stuff man. And I ain't mad at the guy today.

I agree that on the journey there are times that things just click. I had a -9 day myself back in March so I’m in the camp of trying to give people the benefit of the doubt too. I wouldn’t be mad at a -8 especially if the course was playing a little easier and that was inline with the scores. Now if he’s -8 and second is say -1 or E with nobody else under par, I’d start raising an eyebrow.

The other thing I could see influence that number is slope rating. Say my normal course is a 137 slope rating and I play somewhere with a slope of 105 I would expect to shoot better than my handicap

I’ve seen a 46 points win a stableford comp , 36 is par for course .. that person was 10 above that ,,, calls for enquiry into how achieved that score were made lol . It was extraordinary score the person left the club after a year .

Any score 5 ish above handicap should have done scrutiny, especially if playing with mates an less than casual application of the rules and standards.

If I had time to put in some work and I got hot the day of a tournament I could easily shoot a -10. I say that because I’ve done it although not in a tournament.

Flukes happen, but when a 10 handicap shots 68......

In our tournament yesterday, we had a net 66 in the white flight and a net 68 in the blue flight. The guy who shot net 66 had some injuries and just got back to healthy fairly recently. His handicap is probably 2-3 strokes higher due to that and I expect it to be down to that level pretty soon.

-4 or -5 is about what I expect unless a course is set up much easier than it normally is. Over the past year we have had some very awkward scores (including a 2 day tournament where a guy put up a net 62 and backed it up with a net 69) that is making our board have to audit some peoples Indexes.

Mid to high handicaps can blow up either way. We are generally all over the place. Perfect example: our league a few years ago, I was a 15. One day I shot mid 90's and next week I shot a 76. The 76 raised some eyes but my mid 90 got nothing. BTW I eagled the last hole for the 76. :D

I'd go with the majority here - anything above -4 or -5 is going to make me awfully suspicious.

I think -5 seems legit, anything more I would question it

Back