You want to increase your GIR %, so you...

I guess my question is "one more club than what"? Have you been basing your club selection on incorrect information about how far each club goes?

Or maybe I should ask, what were you basing your "ego" distances on?
A little bit of both. I'm pretty confident in my distances since I've been using ShotScope all year, but if ShotScope has me at 160 for my 8-iron I've been pulling that club at 160-165 (ego) So for example, the par-3 #2 I played had 155 to the middle with pin in front so I figured I need to hit 150. Rather than rounding up and using 9-iron (per ShotScope 148 P-Ave) I clubbed up to my 8-iron (P-Ave 158). Low and behold, a 152 yard 8-iron finds the green.

Then surely there are many times when a hole is cut on one side or in one corner of the green and you're better off being below the hole even if it's a yard or two off the putting surface than you would be 50-60 feet away with a double-breaking putt that has to go up and over a ridge?
The quote and aiming for the center of the green only relates to the distance from the hole and does not address any difficulty issues.

Ways to increase your GIR %...start a thread on the subject :ROFLMAO:.

Went 6/9 today, for 67%. Iron striking was so solid, especially on par 3's. Swing thought was to not overswing, play the club that's longer if in between two, and make solid contact. Accomplished all those today and the results showed.

Getting it in play off the tee is the best way to increase those GIR numbers. 3 wood and a 9 iron are a lot easier to control than driver and a punch 5 iron.

Your GIR's aren't where you want them. What do you do? Train differently? Change your on course mentality? Get new irons ;). What's your approach?

Play scramble format with @OldandStiff ?

Outside of that I’ll have to get over the mental hurdle of golfing again. Then I’ll have to not suck. Then I’ll hit more greens?

Simplistic view, 🤣.

Getting it in play off the tee is the best way to increase those GIR numbers. 3 wood and a 9 iron are a lot easier to control than driver and a punch 5 iron.
What of you have lots and lots of 5i punch out practice :ROFLMAO:

You're statement is true though. Thinking your way around the course, and playing smarter, leads to more greens. I play a 4i off the teen tight par 4's, and my scores have gone down as a result. Instead of driver, 5i punch out or penalty strokes.

Play scramble format with @OldandStiff ?

Outside of that I’ll have to get over the mental hurdle of golfing again. Then I’ll have to not suck. Then I’ll hit more greens?

Simplistic view, 🤣.
One thing at a time my friend! You'll get there!

100% this. I completely get the strokes gained data / Bryson approach, but like you said, it doesn't really work when half the holes are a 5 iron punch out. Speaking from experience

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All the above and a few more at different times.

Once you learn to consistently make good contact with your irons, you can do the following.
  • Get fitted for irons that give you the smallest dispersion pattern
  • Determine what your carry and roll out is with each club and each swing with that club (full swing, 3/4, 1/2, knockdown, etc.)
  • Work on your setup, so your swing is set up to go down the line
  • Learn to pick out a spot 6-12 inches in front of the ball and use it as your aim point
  • Change your downswing to become a smooth swing and not a quick hit
  • Course management: Learn how to pick the right shot based on things like green characteristics, shape, hazards, flag location, and where your ball is relative to these items
BTW, making a GIR isn't always the priority. I'd much rather end up with the ball on the collar behind a pin three paces from the back, then to have a 50 foot putt on the green.

Haven't read every post, but for the people that want to bulk up for longer distance understand that the weight doesn't come off as easy as it goes on. There are many health problems that can come with a few extra pounds. I've lost about forty pounds and think I've picked up a few yards, may be more flexibility. I'm getting on up in age so my situation may be different. Best I remember it didn't help Tiger's game overall when he bulked up a few years ago. Also if the people below fifty on the forum could speak to the ones over fifty I think you would see it's a struggle to keep weight off at some point.

All the above and a few more at different times.

Once you learn to consistently make good contact with your irons, you can do the following.
  • Get fitted for irons that give you the smallest dispersion pattern
  • Determine what your carry and roll out is with each club and each swing with that club (full swing, 3/4, 1/2, knockdown, etc.)
  • Work on your setup, so your swing is set up to go down the line
  • Learn to pick out a spot 6-12 inches in front of the ball and use it as your aim point
  • Change your downswing to become a smooth swing and not a quick hit
  • Course management: Learn how to pick the right shot based on things like green characteristics, shape, hazards, flag location, and where your ball is relative to these items
BTW, making a GIR isn't always the priority. I'd much rather end up with the ball on the collar behind a pin three paces from the back, then to have a 50 foot putt on the green.
Great stuff. A recurring theme here is definitely that each hole has a unique challenge, and hazards and pin placement play a role in how it should be played. But I appreciate you mentioning the other items. Setup is key to starting on line, but without solid iron striking anything else you do doesnt have that big of an impact.

You and me both!

I want to improve my GIR because I think it'll lead to lower scores. I also want to have more confidence in my irons, and I play my best when I trust my club selection. I'm hoping all these suggestions will help my iron play, and allow others to rethink how they hit irons.

I need to make better swings especially with my short irons.

I need to make better swings especially with my short irons.
Same here. For some reason right now I have more confidence 4i-6i than I do my 9i and PW. Last night I did have a couple good 9i strikes, so I found something, at least for a round. But, I just need to keep it consistent so i can give myself more chances at birdie, instead of bogey.

Same here. For some reason right now I have more confidence 4i-6i than I do my 9i and PW. Last night I did have a couple good 9i strikes, so I found something, at least for a round. But, I just need to keep it consistent so i can give myself more chances at birdie, instead of bogey.

I have more confidence hitting a green with a hybrid or fairway wood than with any iron:

I have more confidence hitting a green with a hybrid or fairway wood than with any iron:
Sometimes this occurs because you do a better job at taking the club around your body with the longer clubs and get too up and down with the shorter clubs. Just something to consider.

Sounds like you should both join the OL Revolution! 😉

Sounds like you should both join the OL Revolution! 😉
Trust me, as I peruse this thread, and think about what works for my iron game, it makes more sense. If I could find someone to trade VL King Forged Tec with OL KFT I'd strongly consider it.

I learned today that even have a GIR percentage of more than the par 3s and maybe one or two par 5s, I need to go back to the tees I usually play from at 5600 - 5700 yds. If I'm going to continue playing from 6200 yds, I need to get better hitting hybrids into greens or just settle for bogeys.

I learned today that even have a GIR percentage of more than the par 3s and maybe one or two par 5s, I need to go back to the tees I usually play from at 5600 - 5700 yds. If I'm going to continue playing from 6200 yds, I need to get better hitting hybrids into greens or just settle for bogeys.
Nothing wrong with playing the shorter tees if it allows you to enjoy the game more ;)

I think there's a reason the game evolved so that most courses have the majority of holes being Par 4's with a few Par 3's and Par 5's sprinkled in for variety. One tee shot, one approach shot and then short game and putting is a pleasant rhythm with a nice proportion of shot types.

Playing too long tees means having few tee/approach/short rhythms and too many tee/advancement/approach/short. Playing too short tees means too many holes with (in effect) no approach shots. It's not that you can't have fun with on a course having (in effect) too few Par 4's, you certainly can. But most people seem to enjoy the game most when at least half the holes are true Par 4's two-shotters.

Last edited:
I think there's a reason the game evolved so that most courses have the majority of holes being Par 4's with a few Par 3's and Par 5's sprinkled in for variety. One tee shot, one approach shot and then short game and putting is a pleasant rhythm with a nice proportion of shot types.

Playing too long tees means having few tee/approach/short rhythms and too many tee/advancement/approach/short. Playing too short tees means too many holes with (in effect) no approach shots. It's not that you can't have fun with on a course having (in effect) too few Par 4's, you certainly can. But most people seem to enjoy the game most when at least half the holes are true Par 4's two-shotters.

This is absolutely the case for me. A 5800 - 6000 yard course is what I consider to be perfect length for my club distances. I'll use driver on many of the par 4's, providing a good chance for mid to short iron approaches. The longer par 4's may require a long iron or hybrid for an approach while the shorter ones will require a wedge. There's no chance of driving any par 4 greens at that distance. At my skill level, there will be a couple par 4's that require a perfect tee shot to leave a reasonable approach, so I expect to play those holes for bogey - and that's ok. The par 5's rarely allow for me to go for the green in two and I'm ok with that as well. I enjoy that type of balance and it's what I consider to be how the game should be played (for me of course).

I expect to hit 5-6 GIR from that distance.

That said, my home course is very difficult from the 6,000 yard blue tees with the longer carries over marshes, the tighter tree-line fairways, and the small, tight greens. It is simply too demanding for my skill level unless I'm really in the mood for a challenge to get beat up.

The thing that has helped me the most with getting greens in regulation has been working on my chipping and putting.

If i know that if I'm anywhere near the green and can rely on my short game to give me a reasonable chance of chipping it close and one putting, it takes a lot of pressure off me.

Now I don't HAVE to hit the green to make par, and weirdly that makes it easier to hit the green.

The thing that has helped me the most with getting greens in regulation has been working on my chipping and putting.

If i know that if I'm anywhere near the green and can rely on my short game to give me a reasonable chance of chipping it close and one putting, it takes a lot of pressure off me.

Now I don't HAVE to hit the green to make par, and weirdly that makes it easier to hit the green.
Makes sense to me.

I'm there with you. An improved short game has allowed me to be more aggressive, and also swing with less pressure on hitting the perfect shot to have a chance at par.

Back