You want to increase your GIR %, so you...

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Your GIR's aren't where you want them. What do you do? Train differently? Change your on course mentality? Get new irons ;). What's your approach?

Your GIR's aren't where you want them. What do you do? Train differently? Change your on course mentality? Get new irons ;). What's your approach?
Hit the ball as far as I can so I have a shorter shot into the green. Get stronger and hit the ball further.

Aim at the center of the green.

I am going to focus on playing to the middle of the greens instead of worrying too much if the pin is front or back and see how that impacts my score. I am also doing some work on setup/alignment with my swing I think my ball position has changed.

Aim at the center of the green.
I am going to focus on playing to the middle of the greens instead of worrying too much if the pin is front or back and see how that impacts my score. I am also doing some work on setup/alignment with my swing I think my ball position has changed.
I typically aim center of the green too, because I feel that I'm not that accurate or consistent to take aim at the pin..

But, my best GIR's have been when I'm hitting my irons well and going for the pin, unless there is a high risk of going into a hazard. So I guess if I'm feeling good and hitting my irons well I go for more pins, but if I'm not, then I go for the center of the green and let the cards fall where they may.

The Bryson approach, love it.
More strength translates down through the entire bag. Hitting a 7 iron into 190ish yard par 3s is easier than hitting a 4 or 5 iron!

Aim for the fattest part of the green - which may or may not be the center, according to the angle I'm approaching it from.

“Get new irons” has always been my solution (temporarily).

Focus on swinging free and not overthinking and trying to direct the ball.

Also, a range session with just irons usually follows.

I keep saying I'm going to club up regardless and don't do it. My next round, I'm subtracting 5 yards from ShotScope distances and when in doubt rounding up. I very rarely ever go long, and frequently come up short, so I'm going to swallow my pride and club up, even if it means pulling 7 iron from 160.

I would try to aim for the largest part of the green and then worry about the putting afterwards

Train for accuracy :cool:

I identified this last year as one of my biggest issues. It was better than years before but not where I wanted it.

I did 2 things:

1) I looked at my equipment to see what could be changed to help solve some of my misses. Ended up switching shafts and heads and grip sizes. Lighter 110g graphite Recoil Proto's from heavier 125g steel. T200 heads to Apex Pros. Std grips ( +4 ) to midsize (+4)

2) I changed the way I approach my swing on par 3's and approach shots. Changed the mentality to aim small miss small and focus on playing a shaped shot versus just trying to hit a straight ball. Worked on my swing path and hand position to keep the face square as much as possible.

So far, it's working pretty well. I went from averaging over 4 strokes on par 3s all of last year ( 4.1 on par 3's, 4.3 on par 5's....not great ) to in the last 2 rounds scoring birdies on half of them and only above par on one of them, as an example. Approach from the fairways are a bit different as they are lie dependent and are impacted by the previous shot, but when I have a clear view to the green, I take the same approach as a par 3. Decide fade or draw, aim for that shot shape, and hit it to play that shape to the center of the grean. If it goes straight, its on. If I over shape it a bit, its on. Aim small, miss small.

More practice with my irons & hybids/fw on the range to get better strikes/consistent contact. On course i almost always aim for the 'fat' of the green, so my low GIR% is not because i'm flag hunting, i just often make poor contact and miss-hit approach shots.

Give myself a better percentage to hit to an area that I can reach a green from. Too often my missed GIR's are a result from a tee shot being out of position.

More strength translates down through the entire bag. Hitting a 7 iron into 190ish yard par 3s is easier than hitting a 4 or 5 iron!
Oh I agree completely. I'd much rather be closer, than farther away while hitting approach shots. And I'd much rather hit a 6 or 7i than a 4 or 5!

Aim for the fattest part of the green - which may or may not be the center, according to the angle I'm approaching it from.
Good point. Fattest isn't always the center. Fattest and an area with the least obstacles.

“Get new irons” has always been my solution (temporarily).
I understand. Always sounds good, especially when your current irons are acting up. Then you look at the data and realize your game hasn't improved, and your wallet is lighter. But it is fun to try out shiny new irons!

Focus on swinging free and not overthinking and trying to direct the ball.

Also, a range session with just irons usually follows.
I definitely shoot my best when my swing thoughts are minimal and I don't feel like I'm forcing anything. Almost like I'm on autopilot

I keep saying I'm going to club up regardless and don't do it. My next round, I'm subtracting 5 yards from ShotScope distances and when in doubt rounding up. I very rarely ever go long, and frequently come up short, so I'm going to swallow my pride and club up, even if it means pulling 7 iron from 160.
For me, once I said to myself, ok you hit you 8i 145 instead of 155, my iron striking was so much better. Found the sweet spot more often, and thus found the green more often. If I have a choice, I'm always taking more club, as opposed to the alternative of overswinging using a club I know goes shorter.

Train for accuracy :cool:
That's my goal, but how? Anything work for you besides just going to the range and hitting at different spots?

Back