Your 2019 Season in Review So Far

No punches pulled version? My golf game sucks. Pulled punches version? I'm doing some things reasonably well and need to practice up.

Dave

I pretty much play year round but that is beside the point. This year started decent enough but nothing fantastic. I did notice I was steadily seeing an increase in distance with my irons but not so much my driver which I was seeing a lot of ballooning high short shots that missed left. Last year my driver swing speed hovered around 90ish and I checked it on a trackman when the weather was still cold and was around 102. I have checked it a few times since and occasionally see numbers as high as 110. Took my old regular flex shaft out and found an older stiff flex shaft to put in. BINGO!!!!! I am now seeing really long drives for me. Even a few in the 300 yard range but mostly 270-280 on well struck drives.

Irons have been improving all year but still not great. Its not so much the ball striking as it is the accuracy. I did have a range day with my pro a couple weeks ago and have never had such a great day on the course or range ball striking. I mean I hit more perfect pure shots that day then I did my normal average shots. I also had a horrid day this past Saturday where I could not hit the ball well at all during a tournament. I had a teammate in my head all day though saying things like "Do you think maybe you are ………." and just got too much going on in my head. Back to better ball striking now though. I am missing too many greens but I have been pin hunting a bit more then I should and also missing some long just because I hit one pure and it goes further then expected.

Woods- Been pretty solid all year long. No complaints there.

Hybrids- Only have one in the bag now because they are so hit or miss for me. When I am swinging well they are good but when I am not it is either a mild slice or a duck hook. Still working on that but its getting better and I don't really use them that much.

Wedges- Huge improvements this year in all aspects. Chipping is so much better then it used to be. I used to struggle with chipping and either blade it across the green or scoop it without trying to scoop it. That is all pretty much gone and now I am just working on touch mostly. Pitching...… I couldn't take a wedge and swing a nice smooth controlled swing to save my life until I started hitting longer drives and HAD to learn to do it because I kept finding myself in ranges I needed that shot. Now I am pretty solid in that area as well. Full swings, I am one of those guys that likes to full swing with all my wedges. Yes even my 58*. These have pretty much gone identical to my irons this year and enjoying it.

Putting- Ahh putting..... ugh. I might as well have used a croquet mallet most of the year to putt. I had more 3 putts all year then I did less then three putts. I even had stupid 4 putts once in a blue moon. I mean I didn't have this much problems putting last year but it has been atrocious for me this year. All that changed this past Saturday. Since then, even on the tournament day where everything was broke, I have not had a single 3 putt that I can remember and I have played several rounds. Distance control, stroke, alignment, you name it and it is on. I must admit though the "Do you think maybe you...….." guy is responsible for the improvement.

I knew my handicap last year was about 20 and Arccos from the 2018MC proved that to be correct. I had not really tracked it this year as I am not using the Arccos system.(Its a great system but I hate my phone in my pocket and I usually listen to music anyway) I did recently start using another app to track the rounds and help give me a better idea where my handicap is at. Only a few rounds on it so far and not enough data to be solid but it was showing 16.7 before I played a really solid round today. I just double checked it while writing this post and it says 9.5. I don't think its really 9.5 because its only got a few rounds on it but definitely trending on a downward direction. Probably around 14-15ish I would say. I have just been lucky and not had a rough outing with it recording my score.

Summary, my game is getting there. I have been able to put in quite a bit of time this year. More playing then practicing but I am trying to do a little better about that lately. The extra distance and increased club head speeds are obviously more the welcome. I am managing the course better too and not doing as many stupid hero shots although I still do on occasion. I would say as of right now, I have seen a very nice improvement all around with maybe the one exception being hybrids but only because my putting has taken a dramatic turn in the last week. I am not quite at my goal of being consistently mid to low 80s yet but getting there. I more like occasional low 80s with more mid to high 80s and the occasional crappy day in the 90s. Again putting is a large reason for that and if that stays solid and I hit a couple more GIR I should be at that goal. Today for example was 40/41 which is really solid for me and I really felt like I missed way too many greens. But I had no dirty stinking worthless irritating make me say lots of bad words 3 putts.

Only 30 rounds? That's pretty impressive. Gotta ask, what was last years pace?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

129 on the grint, probably 140 in total. NE Ohio has a 8-9 month season.

I’ve had a goal of wanting to consistently be in the 70’s and get down to about a 5 now for the past two seasons. Game is really coming around at the moment, so maybe the 2nd half I can take a step towards that goal.

This is really my 3rd season proper after I started playing regularly/semi-seriously after a long time (and back then, it was just a hack it about with mates who take it equally unseriously). Last year was almost a prep year, where I took woods out of my bag, played hybrids off the tees, and used that setup for last years goals, which were "reduce penalties off the tee" and "manage the course better".

This was the year my goals were:-
1. Break 90 for the first time
2. Handicap down
3. Stableford score up
4. Play more often and more regularly
5. Use woods without increasing penalties

At the halfway point, here's how I stand:-
1. Achieved (7 times, 7 different courses)
2. Achieved (20.6 -> 17.625)
3. Achieved (32.875 -> 34.33, so better scoring on a stricter handicap is a double win)
4. Achieved (played 12 times last year, already played 18 times this year)
5. In progress

Bonus: Won the work golf weekend competition on a top50 UK links course.

I had no particular goals this year other than to remain healthy enough to play as much as I have been for the last several years, and to give the new Callaway equipment from #TheGrandaddy a good "working out" and ongoing reviews. This is going to sound like bragging and maybe it is to an extent as I am proud of my accomplishments, and besides, the question was asked.

:act-up:

Well, the year has gone far, far better than I could have ever imagined! Last year at this time my index was in the 4.x to 5.0 range which I was OK with as that has pretty much been my norm for years with occasional dips lower. Right now my index is 1.2 the lowest it has ever been in over 60 years of playing golf and I have shot a "career best" relative to par of 65, 7 under, beating my previous best by two strokes. I have also had my 7th HIO and have shot my age or better 20x this year making a total of 53 times in the last four years (it gets easier as one gets older!).

The only difference this year is the equipment! I think I've been to the range three times, not had any lessons though I did have a complimentary video swing analysis, don't hit the range to even warm up before playing and I am playing the same courses. I don't feel it is the "fitting" per se that I got at ECPC as I was already making the move to the same shafts in the irons that I was put in there, and because they did not have them in stock apparently, the shafts I received in the Flash driver and fairway woods were not what I was fit into (5.5 vs 5.0) though I don't think it would make a very noticeable difference. So that leaves only one thing, the technology built into these clubs! They are the absolute best I've ever played from driver right on down through the putter(s)!

I feel so fortunate to have been a #TheGrandaddy participant and it is definitely the experience of a lifetime for any golfer at any age or skill level! Take it from someone who has basically lived a lifetime! LOL The guys who have already made this year's team and those yet to be chosen will join a small fraternity and feel as fortunate as I do when the event has ended, though the memories will continue to go on!

Unfortunately I've spent the season trying to find my swing. I'm hoping that the ball striking consistency I've had since last Sunday will finally catch hold for me.

Started the year at a 36. I played a lot late winter/early spring in spite of all the rain and got down to a 24. Work picked up and I’ve only played a handful of rounds the past couple months and feel like my game has regressed but I’ve held steady at 23.9. I won’t get to play much until late September because of work but I plan on hitting it hard in the fall. Hoping I can get down under 20 by the end of the year.

Started the year at a 36. I played a lot late winter/early spring in spite of all the rain and got down to a 24. Work picked up and I’ve only played a handful of rounds the past couple months and feel like my game has regressed but I’ve held steady at 23.9. I won’t get to play much until late September because of work but I plan on hitting it hard in the fall. Hoping I can get down under 20 by the end of the year.

No doubt in my mind you can. Ask @e1iterate to be your personal caddy, each time he had you try something on the course you were money!

No doubt in my mind you can. Ask @e1iterate to be your personal caddy, each time he had you try something on the course you were money!

Haha, he definitely had my back. It was crazy how much we were on the same page by Sunday

I feel that setting goals is important. It helps motivate us to improve. But, a guy has to be careful not to put too much pressure on themselves.

Good luck. I hope whatever happens, you're playing again next season.

It's attainable. My main thing is cleaning up 3 putts (5 or 6 per round, which is my worst putting in my life) and blow up holes.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mine is MIA. We've had health issues in the family this year. Golf has had to take a back seat to the important stuff.

I've only been able to play 4 rounds this year (me and my buddies have had to cancel 5 tee-times due to weather this year already). With that said, I've broken 90 twice this year already and rained in my driver which was my #1 goal this year.

This is really my 3rd season proper after I started playing regularly/semi-seriously after a long time (and back then, it was just a hack it about with mates who take it equally unseriously). Last year was almost a prep year, where I took woods out of my bag, played hybrids off the tees, and used that setup for last years goals, which were "reduce penalties off the tee" and "manage the course better".

This was the year my goals were:-
1. Break 90 for the first time
2. Handicap down
3. Stableford score up
4. Play more often and more regularly
5. Use woods without increasing penalties

At the halfway point, here's how I stand:-
1. Achieved (7 times, 7 different courses)
2. Achieved (20.6 -> 17.625)
3. Achieved (32.875 -> 34.33, so better scoring on a stricter handicap is a double win)
4. Achieved (played 12 times last year, already played 18 times this year)
5. In progress

Bonus: Won the work golf weekend competition on a top50 UK links course.
Good work!

I’ve had a goal of wanting to consistently be in the 70’s and get down to about a 5 now for the past two seasons. Game is really coming around at the moment, so maybe the 2nd half I can take a step towards that goal.
It's all about the 2nd half for me too!

It's a rebuilding year for me. I got injured last August and didn't pick up a club until March. The injury has cost me some distance, about thirty yards on average. So I'm working on getting my swing back to where it was last summer. I've played twenty seven times this year including playing Barton Creek's Coore Crenshaw course for free. I scoring in the mid eighties but I blew up one round where I shot fifty on the front but got it together to post a 41 on the back. I'm just happy to be playing. Last fall, winter and spring sucked.

18 at Coore Crenshaw

43z11KP.jpg

I am beyond happy with where my game is right now. My HC is almost half of what it was last year. I have shot my PB 3 times last year and my ball striking is on point. Just need to focus on some things and I think by this time next year I should be getting down into the sub 4 HC range. But we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am beyond happy with where my game is right now. My HC is almost half of what it was last year. I have shot my PB 3 times last year and my ball striking is on point. Just need to focus on some things and I think by this time next year I should be getting down into the sub 4 HC range. But we will see.

Nice! Maybe you can get to that sub 4 HC range this year!

Didn’t set any hard goals this year. As 2019 has gone on, there have been moments were I see definite improvement, but every now and then a horrible round pops up.

Work has been messing with practice time lately, so have kinda flatlined.

One real positive is how much I like my current bag. There aren’t any ponders so most of my time I’m trying to figure out how to improve my extremely flawed swing.

It's had its ups and downs. Partial wedge shots in the 40 - 60 yd range are my downfall. Another bad area is 30 yd shots over bunkers - I don't swing hard enough and end up in the bunker. I need a lot of bunker work.

If I get my tee shot in the fairway, I can get a GIR about 60 - 70% of the time. My last time out I used my 5 iron off the tee for a stretch of 5 holes and was even par and had 4 GIRs. I used my driver for the other 4 and was +11. There was one par 3 in each stretch where I used a PW off the tee. When the driver misbehaves it breaks my confidence with everything. I think if the driver doesn't go straight I'll put it away quicker and go to the 5 iron.

Best way to hit the 30 yard shot over a bunker is not leave it. Depending on the green you might have 20 feet as best possible result if you don't hole it.

It's had its ups and downs. Partial wedge shots in the 40 - 60 yd range are my downfall. Another bad area is 30 yd shots over bunkers - I don't swing hard enough and end up in the bunker. I need a lot of bunker work.

30y high lobs over bunkers is my only consistently strong shot right now. But give me the same wedge from a nice fairway lie, and I blade it to Mars.

Getting acquainted with my G700 iron set has been the most significant equipment related subject for my game this year.
In the area of swing technique my focus has been on maintaining a steady head, striving for no lateral head movement, for all golf shots, driver thru putter. This has helped the quality of my ball striking.

After my last four rounds, and several range sessions, I finally, after decades, am not slicing of the tee.

It's made the game a lot more fun.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feeling good. Re-evaluated my goals and expectations recently. Got my lesson and found out my biggest flaws. Play improved on Wednesday, then today, it clicked. Posted my best score of the season today.

Back