Your Job is Getting 1%

You can buy one for barely over $500 now, so the rental market is going to be rather small.

Easy to get a 1% market share since nobody is doing it! $500 is reasonable I suppose but how often would the average golfer use it anyway? THP’ers not being average of course. It’s still a good chunk of change for an electronic device that likely is going to be obsolete with the next iteration.

Or maybe the product could be building launch monitors that are down to a working man’s salary, like rangefinders are now?

You are given a job as President of a new golf company. A real one with actual designs not any of the DTC stuff out there. Your job is picking a category and telling us how you get to 1% market share in that category.

You don’t have unlimited funds but do have a nice amount to get started. but tour players are out and so are TV commercials.
I'd start of by using the younger influencers and then tap the market of all the golfers that are uninterested about the USGA and R&A shaking their fists at the distance clouds. We will make the best performing golf balls period. Regardless of what the R&A and USGA say. We make them for amateurs and by amateurs. Golf should be made fun, not shorter.

I'd start of by using the younger influencers and then tap the market of all the golfers that are uninterested about the USGA and R&A shaking their fists at the distance clouds. We will make the best performing golf balls period. Regardless of what the R&A and USGA say. We make them for amateurs and by amateurs. Golf should be made fun, not shorter.
I was sort of thinking the same thing but in the other direction. Be the first to offer rolled back balls that will fit the new standards in a few years so golfers can get used to them. I have a feeling that would never get 1% market share though.

Easy to get a 1% market share since nobody is doing it! $500 is reasonable I suppose but how often would the average golfer use it anyway? THP’ers not being average of course. It’s still a good chunk of change for an electronic device that likely is going to be obsolete with the next iteration.

Or maybe the product could be building launch monitors that are down to a working man’s salary, like rangefinders are now?
My point was with such a low entry point on some devices, what could someone possibly get for a rental fee, and then have to deal with the ongoing maintenance.

I was sort of thinking the same thing but in the other direction. Be the first to offer rolled back balls that will fit the new standards in a few years so golfers can get used to them. I have a feeling that would never get 1% market share though.
Much more market share thumbing your nose at the USGA and R&A I think. Unless its competition golf, let golf be fun

There are 8 billion people in this world. Print, visual, audible, vocal... media.
Maybe a blitz campaign to every cell phone number in a city touting your product. Send 1 message 1 day, a second the following day. Then a third a day later. Provide them a link to your website. Someone is going to hit the site. Take that nationwide. You get noticed.
^ This is something I would never do. I realize that spam must have some market reach for some people, but I will purposely never buy from a company that sends me spammy unsolicited messages - especially on my phone. You definitely get noticed by me, but not in a positive way.

As an example, I would never buy anything from 10LOL because they spammed THP a while back. They're on my permanent blacklist - it irritates me when I even see their stuff on the course, I roll my eyes and inwardly flip them off. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates spam, so to me that's a counterproductive method of trying to acquire market share.

My point was with such a low entry point on some devices, what could someone possibly get for a rental fee, and then have to deal with the ongoing maintenance.

I don’t know how much maintenance is involved with a launch monitor. Batteries? People rent all sorts of stuff though. Golf Galaxy charges $50/hr for a bay. The suck being that outside you’re only going to see range balls.

I would think more demo days, especially at places like top golf could be helpful...get the average consumer who enjoys it to try your product there

I would think more demo days, especially at places like top golf could be helpful...get the average consumer who enjoys it to try your product there
Is that possible with Top Golf being owned by Callaway?

I hire JB, and then sit back, play more golf, while he puts his industry knowledge to work making things happen.

Is that possible with Top Golf being owned by Callaway?
For club manufacturers.. probably not..could be tough, but worth a shot to try ..but maybe more achievable for clothing... possibly the company just rent some booths all day long and just invite people in

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Need to do some research and get back with more details. I don't even know what 1% market share means; is it 1% of a specific niche or 1% of golfers? That will help narrow down the product selection. If the budget is decent size but not excessive I think starting on THP and other sites like this is a first step, along with product giveaways to a target market for trials and reviews. More to follow.

Make equipment that is designed to work better off of mats than actual turf. Market it to indoor golfers. We'll be gazillionaires in no time flat.

I would argue they weren’t solely honesty.
Volvik gained market share well over 1% early on. I don’t think they had either. So did Nickent. Tour Edge?
Volvik got LPGA pros to play their ball. Nickent got into big box stores, and not just golf stores, to sell box sets, or drivers. Tour Edge just persisted, and got into big golf stores, pro shops on courses, offered fittings, but they were very reasonably priced, and a lot of beginners, and folks looking for new clubs, were enticed by the price.

Back