Your Own Personal Driving Range?

I bet it's fun for like a month, maybe 6 weeks. Then having to shag balls constantly and mowing would get old!

With a name like fairwaynut I figured you always hit em straight!

It is kinda a misnomer at that. I actually got the nickname when playing at a course down in Lemont, Illinois called Big Run. Big Run has a zillion old oak trees on the course. To make a long story short while hitting a shot off the fairway in an area where there was plenty of acorns I slipped while taking a swing and almost ended up landing on my face. A friend of mine hung that nickname fairwaynut on me and it has kinda stuck over the years. :D

It is kinda a misnomer at that. I actually got the nickname when playing at a course down in Lemont, Illinois called Big Run. Big Run has a zillion old oak trees on the course. To make a long story short while hitting a shot off the fairway in an area where there was plenty of acorns I slipped while taking a swing and almost ended up landing on my face. A friend of mine hung that nickname fairwaynut on me and it has kinda stuck over the years. :D
That's great! Thanks for sharing, and it was good for a laugh this Friday morning!

Just a place to hit balls without leaving the house is always nice to have. Since it’s power lines, you wouldn’t have to worry about upkeep. Of course I’d rather go to the course to play/practice but when you can’t, this would be a SOLID alternative!

Nah, it seems like too much work to try and find the balls and I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money replacing garbage balls that I lose.

Had a farm with 20 acres. Had a son who worked at local course as ranger and brought home 10 balls a day...We would whack em into the fields and go get em later finding maybe 1/2.

75% for sure would be in the woods :ROFLMAO::dohanim:

I hope there's no poison ivy in those woods as I would be spending a lot of time in there fetching balls

I'd lose waaaay too many and am too lazy to ever find close to half of what I lost on that setup. Years ago I knew a farmer in IL with a great setup, virtually no maintenance, hardly any work to collect balls. He had kids playing HS golf so converted a borrow pit pond on his property into a 'range'. He had about 10-12 floating targets anchored at various distances from the three hitting stations he put in. Floater balls would usually collect in a couple areas along the bank due to prevailing wind and could be scooped up pretty easily with big nets. I got to use it with him a few times, was pretty nice, and less than two miles from house back then. Wish I had something like that although I'd never want to farm...lol.

I would love to have a hole long enough for a par 5. Then, you could also have a nice par 4 with different distances, and a par 3 with different distances! And, don't forget the bunkers!!!! Fairway bunkers, different distances of course, greenside bunkers, and good rough!!!!

I basically have my own. Across the road from my home course. Drive my car right out there, and I'm alone 98% of the time. At $60 for yearly membership you can't go wrong.

3d8ca9e8b33e4cf011e6fb2fcb120963.jpg
d2703d6b8bab161b14b04f4cd4a8258b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Would be great to have that much land where you can take full shots. Need to hire someone to go get those balls for you though.

When I was on the high school golf team (I was really terrible) we had to collect all of our range balls. Coach would put a 5 gallon bucket in the middle and we's form the circle and chip until we filled the bucket. collapsing the circle as we ran out of balls.

If that doesn't teach you to hit straight I don't know what will. Cool idea but a ball retrieval plan is a must. I do have the land but too many trees currently..

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 6.02.27 PM.png
There are a couple of areas in my yard that are similar. I hit almost every day when there's no snow and often when there is snow. In my case there's an opening in the trees to hit through. At about 130 yards to 160 yards away, there's an area about the width of a small green which is my target when practicing irons.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 6.42.07 PM.png
Here's another area that's a bit more wide open. I just pick a tree or gap between trees for my target.

There's also a large open field just a couple blocks away. They keep it mowed throughout the year. I practice my driver there.

These areas provide an abundance of opportunity to groove a terrible swing.

I had a setup like this growing up... not a pipeline, but a 120yd long strip of field that we mowed, woods on one side, and more deep grassy field on the other. We used it as a sledding hill, ATV track, golf course, you name it. It was fun.

Give me that setup but with netting down each side. Forget about the whole venturing into the trees to retrieve balls thing.

That’s really cool, would love something like that. Especially with young kids can hit balls with out having to leave!

@golfinnut I'm waiting for you to do the same.... One question, you'll pick up the ball, right? Even the ones in the trees.... :sneaky:

Buy a house next to a Golf Course and they course will build you a range. I know a guy who lives on the left side of the 2nd tee (par 5) at a 18 hole course. His house was tagged so many times by errant golf balls, that the course erected a 100 foot high net along his property. He says theres 3 advantages of this, which are: protects his house, all balls that hit net stay on his property (balls he resells), and he has a driving range off his lawn into the net.

Reminds me of the tee shot on 18 at Augusta.

that much land would be fun and Not sure show many I’d have in that landing area

Back