Your View on Stock Shafts

Always stock. I'm just not able to justify aftermarket shafts on a "well, maybe it'll help" basis, and we just don't have places locally to nail down the "perfect" fit with any certainty.
I'll hit the various stock options available, and pick between those. I can't think that I'm off the Bell curve at either end, and being pretty average one of the stock options usually works.

That said, I don't think I've ever tried a TM stock option I liked or hit particularly well. Could be bad SLDR memories clouding my recall, though.

Other than stepping my irons everything is stock shaft in my bag. Stock just works for me, but I think the head of the club plays a roll in it too..

Bought a G25 head after playing the G10 w/ stock stiff 77g, 2.2 torque V2 shaft(love this club). Tried a few shafts in the G25, including NV 65g, 77g and 66g V2's. The 77g felt ok, but not what I was looking for. Based on the results I was getting, I figured I needed a heavy, high launch shaft. After testing a few aftermarket shafts that I didn't like, I got fit with the stock TFC 189 stiff, 58g, 4.8, and it works… Partly cause I can feel the club head in my swing with the TFC, which I couldn't with the other shafts. I had a similar experience with my old irons.

I discount them but only if they aren't a similar profile to what I have tested and tried and know what works for my swing. If it is similar to what works for me then its fair game and will be tested out just like the club head. No reason to add more variables to an already tough decision.

I've use stock and aftermarket. in my R7, loved the Fujikura Fit on Six it came with but it was an upgrade TP option at the time. When I broke the shaft, it was no longer available so had the aldila nv65 in it. Never could hit it as well with the aldila, but did hit it ok could still have been in my head though. when it was a good contact, I could still get the same distance on that driver as my brother with his newer drivers. But when I got my R1, Since the shafts are easy to change out, I bought several shafts based on what I thought I may like based on their specs, and ended up sticking with the stock phenom. For me, the phenom it came with actually works better for me.

I have talked with a friend about this recently. He is my couch and he is a club builder. He said the biggest problem is that on demo days, he's sees fitters using the aftermarket shafts but when the order is placed the shaft received says it's the same as the demo days but reacts diffently.

Luckily for me stock shafts tend to suit me a lot of the time.

I have absolutely no problem with stock shafts if they work. Especially after talking to Don at PX about it last week. He said that generally if you take a "made-for" shaft vs a "real deal" shaft of the same model, the biggest difference will be in torque, and it will be higher, since they will use lower modulus (read: cheaper) carbon fiber in the 45* flags.
I will offer my new view on aftermarket shafts though. Until a few weeks before the event at PX, I'd really not had a significant amount of experience with aftermarket shafts. I will say that now that I've hit several, there are some that are so much better than the stock option FOR MY SWING it's crazy, and there are others that feel and perform awful for me. The beauty of the aftermarket is if you're willing to spend some money and put some effort into it, you have a massive breadth of options to find something that is truly a perfect fit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have had really good luck with stock shafts, as well as aftermarket shafts (Driver only).
I think that I am the "average" golfer for my swing speed. I have been fitted into stock shafts a number of times, as well as into upgraded shafts.
Depends on the shaft.

I will always give the stock shaft a shot provided it somewhat fits my profile. I played the stock Fubuki ZT from Callaway for quite some time before trying the aftermarket Fubuki ZT. I did notice the aftermarket felt a little tighter but other than that I could have gone either way.

All that said, thanks to THP and Project X I'll have two shafts made just for me though so when I get my Callaway 816 driver that stock shaft is coming out on day one.

I think stock shaft options are pretty stout nowadays.

There are some great stock options out there. I usually try to give the stock a fair chance, but I do like to tinker. I really need to get properly fit so I know what I need and what works and just stick with that though.

will always give stocks a shot, but depending on manufacturer, some use real and some use made for so user beware. had a couple of issues going to demo days where i really like a club an shaft, ordered and got club and shaft that did not feel the same

I always give the stock shaft a try on initial testing and sometimes they work quite well but if there are any doubts I end up with a shaft I know works with my swing. Sometimes it's a free upgrade and sometimes I pay for it but you really want something you have confidence in when you get a new club!!!

Some stock shafts are made good quality and they come with specification manual. I can read the manual spec to see where is my swing fit in. When in doubt, I choose R.

Last edited:
Back