Your wedge setup: why?

46 PW and 51 AW is matching to my iron set. After that it's just a 58. Gapping works fine and i only have to practice short game with the one 58 wedge or a 9i for chip shots.

Drastic improvement in full swing wedge and short game over the old 52, 56, 60 dedicated wedge setup.

44*, 49*, 54* and 58*

The 44* and 49* are set wedges from my Ping G710s, while the 54* and 58* are New Level M-type forged wedges with 12* of bounce. I switched to the New Levels in August after playing most of the season with Cleveland CBX2s with the same lofts. I have found the New Levels to be more consistent generally and better out of the bunkers at my home course, which tend to be hard packed.

The "how I use them" requires some explanation. I am a short hitter and have approach "distance" or "approach" wedge shots by adding my 8 and 9-irons to the mix. For virtually all shots with these clubs and all shots from 100 yards and in, I never use a full swing, but rather use a "9 to 3" swing (full swing motion). For my stock shot, the ball position is in the middle my stance, which is slightly closed for all full swing motion shots. Yardages from 8-iron to 58* wedge are about 95-85-75-65-55-45, respectively. I can reduce the distance of each club by gripping down to either the middle or the bottom of the grip and have begun to experiment more with ball position.

Last edited:
My PW is 43* according to the internet. My wedges are 52* and 58*. For me they both go about the same distance (not far enough):LOL:
I should probably replace my 52 with a 50. I'll look at doing that when Cleveland releases the CBX 3.:D

44*, 49*, 54* and 58*

The 44* and 49* are set wedges from my Ping G710s, while the 54* and 58* are New Level M-type forged wedges with 12* of bounce. I switched to the New Levels in August after playing most of the season with Cleveland CBX2s with the same lofts. I have found the New Levels to be more consistent.

The "how I use them" requires some explanation. I am a short hitter and have approach "distance" or "approach" wedge shots by adding my 8 and 9-irons to the mix. For virtually all shots with these clubs and all shots from 100 yards and in, I never use a full swing, but rather use a "9 to 3" swing (full swing motion). For my stock shot, the ball position is in the middle my stance, which is slightly closed for all full swing motion shots. Yardages from 8-iron to 58* wedge are about 95-85-75-65-55-45, respectively. I can reduce the distance of each club by gripping down to either the middle or the bottom of the grip and have begun to experiment more with ball position.

To clarify, the yardages above are carry distances which I determined mostly with range balls and either yardage markers or my SC100. Also, I hit shots down to about 30 yards with this method mostly by feel (e.g. using a shorter swing, choking down, etc.). For yardages under 30 yards from the pin I use more of a chipping motion with either my 58* wedge if there is not a lot of green to work with or 9-iron or PW if I have plenty of green to work with.

PW at 43* @ 35.5”. GW at 48* @ 35.5”. SW at 53* @ 35.25”. LW at 57* @ 35”.

PW and GW are PXG 0311P and SW and LW are Callaway Jaws Full Toe.

PW - 125, GW - 110, SW - 95, LW - 80

Works for me. I just drop balls on the course when it’s not busy and hit various length shots to verify what I see on the range.

I play the Srixon ZX5 irons. The PW is 44*. I play the CBX2 48*, 52* and 56*. The v-sole is similar to the ZX5. The CBX2 wedges are just easy to hit in every way. I try to keep my short game pretty simple. And the extra forgivness is nice. I only carry 13 clubs. I have thought about the 60*...but don't think I'd use it enough to justify buying one.

I’ve got 52°, 56° and 60° in the bag.

I started with set wedges: PW, GW and AW. Then I picked up a 60° for fun and went from there.

My current wedges are selected because of playability, shot options, and distance.

I tend have a decent size gap between my PW and SW(about 9*). I just can't get used to an AW. I would rather hit a softer PW. I play 54* and 60* wedges. The 54* is used for everything 95 yards and in, except for sand shots. That's where the 60* comes in play.

I use four wedges, PW, GW, SW, and LW (48, 52-08, 56-08, and 60-04) for chipping and pitching. I have calibrated them for each shot--for chipping, including the 7, 8, and 9-irons, one swing for seven distances, and for pitching, three swings with four clubs to cover 105-40 yards.

My fitting helped me gap correctly, then I chose bounce based off usage:

T200 43* PW - 140y, part of the set
SM7 46.08 - 130y and my main green side club
SM8 50.08 - 115y, full shots only
SM8 54.14 - 100y, heavy rough, fluffy sand.
SM8 60.10 - 85y, flop shots, short sided.

I have the STi-2 irons, pw 44, gw 48, and a 52 and 54 wedge set up. Works great for me, covers me 100 in.

I have a 50* bent to 48*, 54* bent to 53* and a 60*.

The wedge I have is at 43*. The gap was too big so I bent the wedges to make it work.

43 PW - Iron Set pitching wedge
48 GW - Iron Set gap wedge
52 Vokey
56 Vokey

I went to a Titleist fitting session for my wedges and am using the 52-56 that he suggested. I do kind of miss a 60 lob wedge. Second suggestion was to go with a 54-58 setup using the 58 as a lob wedge.

You can talk brand here if you want as well, but mainly I want to talk your overall setup in wedge selection for your gaps.

Do you just pick even gaps loft wise and hope it works?

Do you actually go out and test to see what lofts create consistent gaps for your distances, not for what they look like in the bag?

What lofts are you playing?

I guess and work with what I get. Used to have a 52°, 56° and 58° that's mainly a bunker wedge

this year, with my Cobras, in went 50°, 54° and 58°. Felt as I get older I can use help if lower lofts and they work out great for me. 58° is still my green side biker wedge, but have used this Cobra wedge much more on regular shots than with my Ping 58

Just two. A 49* AW and a 54* SW. I am pretty confident with the two for shorter shots as I get plenty of practice in my back yard which has 25 yards of playable lawn.

What has helped is better course management and accepting that sometimes, the best shot is to just roll the ball down the fairway. On the 5th hole the lighting is so bad I can't see anything lofted in the air. No chance of finding it in the leaves.

This year it was the Forged Tec PW at 45 and then I went with the Snakebite blade style wedges at 50 bent to 49, 54, and 58 bent to 59. I really enjoyed having three similar wedges to have options of trajectories once I got within say 80 yards and enjoyed having the 49 for more low runner shots.

The issue was that I had developed a 22 yard gap between the set PW and the 49 deg so I’ve got the set gap wedge coming, hopefully to tighten that up. My thought is while I lose a little versatility the amount of time I face a 120 yard shot trumps the need for shots I can likely cover with the 54.

Unless I missed it on my read through, does anyone have a backup wedge they will swap
in depending on course conditions? For example, maybe you typically play a mid-bounce wedge but know the course becomes hard pan in the summer and you put a low bounce wedge in the bag? Or swap in a big wide sole when you know the course is a soggy mess?

Unless I missed it on my read through, does anyone have a backup wedge they will swap
in depending on course conditions? For example, maybe you typically play a mid-bounce wedge but know the course becomes hard pan in the summer and you put a low bounce wedge in the bag? Or swap in a big wide sole when you know the course is a soggy mess?
Once upon a time, I did, then as I improved I realized it was a bit of paralysis by overanalysis.

Instead, the focus became putting together a setup that would work in all conditions, and part of that was the willingness to hit multiple shots with different clubs. The beauty there is it actually made the game more fun having versatility rather than forcing a specific club/loft/grind for a specific yardage all the time.

i do not. Just do my best with what I have 👊🏻🙏🏻

Once upon a time, I did, then as I improved I realized it was a bit of paralysis by overanalysis.

Instead, the focus became putting together a setup that would work in all conditions, and part of that was the willingness to hit multiple shots with different clubs. The beauty there is it actually made the game more fun having versatility rather than forcing a specific club/loft/grind for a specific yardage all the time.
I've considered it but never pulled the trigger.

That reminds me of the summer I became 'markedly better' with my wedges. My buddy and I would go to the local playground with only one wedge and play HORSE. We had to flop it onto the playground bridge, hit a low runner up the slide, chip it through the swing, etc. It was really good practice to learn all the different things you could pull off with a golf club.

(Note: no kids were playing at the time)

Back in the 1990s,
when lofts were already stronger than the old days
but not as strong aa they are today,
many of the big companies made set-matching wedges all the way down to a 60° lob wedge.

A lot of our current forum members should remember that.

This was common then, which wasn't that long ago,
but it must not have been successful because nobody is doing it anymore.

Now, however, we have nine-irons stronger than 40°.
Mine is 42° but many are significantly stronger than that on the real GI models.

Even if a model offers a set matching GW, that still leaves, in many bags, a few clubs to go to reach the bottom of the set.

Five wedges are no longer uncommon today, and except for a few models that offer TWO gap wedges,
at least three of them are add-ons that could conceivably feel substantially different than the numbered irons.

With a fourteen club rule, for those who comply with it, five wedges and a full complement of middle irons,

those middle irons, despite their stronger lofts,
not being gapped any wider that they ever were,

doesn't leave room for a lot of clubs at the long end of the bag.

Therefore, it would seem to me that the number of long clubs bagged would have a significant effect on the gap spacing of the wedges at the other end of the set.

It does with my sets. Without getting into any ideological arguments about technology and launch windows,
these inevitable leading into unpleasant posts that disrupt the forum,
I would at least opine that set configuration used to be much less complicated with 1960s and 1970s iron sets.

My PW is 46 degrees, AW is 50 degrees. So, my next two wedges are 54 and 58 degrees.

I am playing the SM8 wedges. I have set GW then go 52-56-60. I was fit for my wedges at a local course and specifically for the SM8's. I did not have set GW then but have found i really like it. The gapping seems good and my 60 is a workhorse for me from 50 yards and in. I try to never hit a full shot with the 60 at all.

Just acquiring 4 that look the same and match the rest of the Irons pretty well (from a looks perspective). I'm just hoping the standard lofts give me the right distance gaps but that's yet to be seen.

These will be Callaway Big Bertha Gold Tour Series Wedges with Stiff Graphite in P (48), A (52) , S (56), L (60) lofts....

A

Updated irons to Epic Forged so now have

Epic forged in 41-PW, 46-AW, 56-SW
BB Gold Tour Series 52-AW, 60-LW

I know 5…. But the first one is 41!!!!

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back