jbb2388

Choose wisely
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am beginning to look for a new ZT mower for my acre and a half. Would like to hear what you got, how you like it, what you'd do differently, etc. I am leaning toward a Ferris 300S in 42 or 48" but also considering a hustler raptor x which is significantly less expensive. Yard is relatively level and smooth and will be cut once a week.

I owned a Deere Z540R and put it through hell and back. Used it to pull logs, grade a 1000 ft driveway, clear pasture, move a trailer around, you name it. It was basically our tractor before I bought my 3032E. How that poor mower lasted as long as it did is still a mystery to me. I never did any repairs other than blades and belts and it was still running and cutting when I traded it in on a new Z545R with EFI last year. I'll never buy any other brand and I'll never own another mower with a carb either. I cut about 7 acres a week, 30+ weeks a year, so that may be more mower than you need but with only 1.5 acres I have no doubt it would easily last you 20+ years.

Spent years on Hustler Z, 60", very dependable. You can beat the snot out of them and they keep on going, especially on level turf but for real bumpy check brands for front wheels having steel bearings and not hard plastic.

I’ve used grasshopper brand for many years. If you have obstacles to mow around I recommend a front deck model over mid deck models.

I started out using a scag three wheel and scag 48 walker but then switched to exmarks. Granted they are older molders now but have a exmark lazer z hp 52 w/kohler command 20hp and bagger setup and an exmark lazer z hp 61 with 23 kohler command.

Basic maintenance but both have had spindles replaced and one needed a hyrdo/pto.

You can go front deck with a grasshopper (720k for example) or scag sthm three wheel.

Last edited:
I am beginning to look for a new ZT mower for my acre and a half. Would like to hear what you got, how you like it, what you'd do differently, etc. I am leaning toward a Ferris 300S in 42 or 48" but also considering a hustler raptor x which is significantly less expensive. Yard is relatively level and smooth and will be cut once a week.
1.5 acres - total area to be mowed or total property size less dwelling, driveway, etc?
Flat? Mild slope? Steeper slope?
Open? A lot of landscaping?
How fast do you want to get done?

I have nothing to add here, just noting that I miss my Zero Turn mower terribly. If I had a time machine I'd go back and punch myself for even considering getting rid of it for a regular riding mower.

Have a 52” cut Gravely that works really well, not near the upper echelon of ZT’s but have only had one issue which was the fuel hose was routed by the dealer to were once if heated up enough from the motor it would kink over on itself. Once I fixed that it ran flawless going on my 6th yr with it. Parents own a Ferris and if you want the Cadillac that’s it as it rides so smooth. Issue is you want to go fast but it’ll out run the cut if you’re not careful since it’s so smooth at fast speeds and leave patches but as long as you don’t it’s definitely the gold standard.

Thanks guys. I figured exmark and scag out of my price range and mostly commercial grade stuff. Trying to keep the price tag under 5K. Haven't even considered front vs mid deck. Not terribly concerned about that.
1.5 acres - total area to be mowed or total property size less dwelling, driveway, etc?
Flat? Mild slope? Steeper slope?
Open? A lot of landscaping?
How fast do you want to get done?

Thanks J. Gross total. Prob closer to an acre minus everything and a planned 2500 sq ft garden. Half is flat, half mild slope. Very open. Few obstacles and mostly straight edges. Few trees. Would prefer it be less than an hour for sure

I’ve got Bad Boy Maverick. They all suck on slopes, which I don’t think is a problem for you. Kawasaki engine is a beast.

I have an 1 1/4 acres. I went with the Scag Patriot with a 52" deck when I bought a ZTR. Was between that and the Ferris 600 or 700S. Came from a consumer model Cub Cadet. I mainly wanted something that was a bit more well built that a consumer model, because I wanted it to last. My Cub Cadet was 7 years old, and was beginning to have many issues.

I went with a fabricated deck over stamped for strength. It came with a Kawasaki FX engine, which is a solid engine. Also had some upgraded hydros that were serviceable. All in all I'm happy with what I have. It took moving time from 1 hour 15 minutes with the old Cub Cadet, down to 45 minutes with the Patriot. I've used my neighbors top of the line John Deere, and I can get it done in 30 minutes, but it's overkill. Personally I would go with a step up from the residential model, and go with something that's more of a Prosumer model with the Fabricated deck, better engine, serviceable hydro's, etc. Reason being I want to keep my mower, versus upgrading all the time, and I want it to last.

Pros:
Time it takes to mow is good
Solidly built
Cut is really nice

Cons:
Can be a bit heavy when it's wet (compared to my Cub Cadet)

Let me know if you have any questions. I've had the mower for 5 or so years, and would be happy to compare it to the Ferris. I did test out the Ferris, and could have easily gone with it, but I got a better price for the Scag.

Have a 52” cut Gravely that works really well, not near the upper echelon of ZT’s but have only had one issue which was the fuel hose was routed by the dealer to were once if heated up enough from the motor it would kink over on itself. Once I fixed that it ran flawless going on my 6th yr with it. Parents own a Ferris and if you want the Cadillac that’s it as it rides so smooth. Issue is you want to go fast but it’ll out run the cut if you’re not careful since it’s so smooth at fast speeds and leave patches but as long as you don’t it’s definitely the gold standard.
My 54 year old body loves the sound of that! 😂

For ref...

136 Hill Rd Listing6.jpeg136 Hill Rd Listing5.jpeg136 Hill Rd Listing2.jpeg

I have an 1 1/4 acres. I went with the Scag Patriot with a 52" deck when I bought a ZTR. Was between that and the Ferris 600 or 700S. Came from a consumer model Cub Cadet. I mainly wanted something that was a bit more well built that a consumer model, because I wanted it to last. My Cub Cadet was 7 years old, and was beginning to have many issues.

I went with a fabricated deck over stamped for strength. It came with a Kawasaki FX engine, which is a solid engine. Also had some upgraded hydros that were serviceable. All in all I'm happy with what I have. It took moving time from 1 hour 15 minutes with the old Cub Cadet, down to 45 minutes with the Patriot. I've used my neighbors top of the line John Deere, and I can get it done in 30 minutes, but it's overkill. Personally I would go with a step up from the residential model, and go with something that's more of a Prosumer model with the Fabricated deck, better engine, serviceable hydro's, etc. Reason being I want to keep my mower, versus upgrading all the time, and I want it to last.

Pros:
Time it takes to mow is good
Solidly built
Cut is really nice

Cons:
Can be a bit heavy when it's wet (compared to my Cub Cadet)

Let me know if you have any questions. I've had the mower for 5 or so years, and would be happy to compare it to the Ferris. I did test out the Ferris, and could have easily gone with it, but I got a better price for the Scag.
Thanks man. Patriot definitely overkill for me and more than I wanted to spend for sure. Sweet machine though. Liberty Z looks a little closer to my budget.

I have used zero turns by Grasshopper, Toro, Exmark and Gravely a good bit.

The Toro and Exmark are great machines, but will more than likely be out of your price range.
The Grasshopper I used was a front deck which was great. But it was rear steered with a grass catcher, which made maneuvering a little tougher.
Gravely is what I would buy for personal use. They have great pricing and have been doing 0% financing around where I live.

I have used a zero turn Kubota for 8 years with no issues. It is faster than a craftsman (inherited with the house) and a John Deere, so the lawn does not take as long (I have about 1.2 acres). Definitely would recommend.

Thanks guys. I figured exmark and scag out of my price range and mostly commercial grade stuff. Trying to keep the price tag under 5K. Haven't even considered front vs mid deck. Not terribly concerned about that.

Thanks J. Gross total. Prob closer to an acre minus everything and a planned 2500 sq ft garden. Half is flat, half mild slope. Very open. Few obstacles and mostly straight edges. Few trees. Would prefer it be less than an hour for sure
To keep it under an hour I might look at the next larger deck size class 52-54 range , if it fits the budget. The wider deck typically comes with larger wheels which should further increase your mowing speed. Also I would consider a used high end residential or entry level commercial unit provided it’s not beat up too much.

I had a Scag in CT. Loved it and when sold it after 5 years use, got more than I paid for it. My yard now more managable in size and went with a used John Deere and it works well. FB marketplace a good place to look for used.

Thanks man. Patriot definitely overkill for me and more than I wanted to spend for sure. Sweet machine though. Liberty Z looks a little closer to my budget.
No problem. Best of luck with your search!

I have a 60 inch Ariens going on my fourth year with zero issues. Gravely which has been mentioned is their commercial version I believe. Would highly recommend either.

Hustler and Ferris are both good brands and either will be fine for his property. The old saying of you get what you pay for is very true on lawn equipment. All the brands have entry-level, mid grade and industrial models. You may very well have to pick a brand based upon which dealer you want to use.

It was years ago but we ran a couple of Ferris (52 and 61) for a couple years mowing two Army Corp of Engineer lakes. One was in particular quite rocky and the independent suspension was really beneficial. My uncle ran them for a few more years. I would go with a Ferris again if I had the need for a zero turn.

Back