what is the ruling here

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
Par five, about 250 yards down the fairway our tee shots rest, my ball and my playing partners ball. do you play them from where they lie?

Attachments

• a pair of balls.jpg
    a pair of balls.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
I believe, closest marks their ball, then farthest plays. Return ball and hit. Just like on the green.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I believe, closest marks their ball, then farthest plays. Return ball and hit. Just like on the green.

2nded. Don't think you can clean it or anything once picked up, but pretty sure that is the ruling.

These guys are correct. Closest to the hole marks, but may not clean the ball. Once the further player has hit, they drop their ball and hit.

These guys are correct. Closest to the hole marks, but may not clean the ball. Once the further player has hit, they drop their ball and hit.
You mean replace in original spot. Just dropping and playing would be a penalty.

Yep sorry, should have been more clear.
I figured but definitely wanted to clarify. Would hate for someone to come back and say "Texashacker said I could".

Correct. You can mark your ball any place on the course in a situation like this. Ball can not be cleaned and it is placed back, not dropped, just like on the green.

What does one do if the first player to play rips a huge divot that includes your mark? Replace in the fresh bare patch?

Also, note to the OP... always a little concerning clicking a photo link titled "a pair of balls".

What does one do if the first player to play rips a huge divot that includes your mark? Replace in the fresh bare patch?

Great question - just what I was thinking (maybe because I happen to always take divots and sometimes large ones). I guess choice is either placing it where it was which could be in the divot or placing it just to side of the divot....

Replace the ball as close as possible, just like when a fan or animal moves a ball.

Also, note to the OP... always a little concerning clicking a photo link titled "a pair of balls".
This had me laughing

Yeah, the guys are right. In case the first shot ripped a huge divot, I think the second guy can place his anywhere reasonably near, no closer to the hole.

A player is entitled to recreate his original lie. I've seen this on bunker shots on the tour.

Par five, about 250 yards down the fairway our tee shots rest, my ball and my playing partners ball. do you play them from where they lie?

Find JB and give him a #StaffProto iron.

Otherwise, closest marks and away plays.

You mean replace in original spot. Just dropping and playing would be a penalty.

what if the first guy hits a puts a huge divot in the fairway. Does the second guy place his ball in the divot? What's that ruling then?

edit: I see this was answered. Sorry.

what if the first guy hits a puts a huge divot in the fairway. Does the second guy place his ball in the divot? What's that ruling then?

[h=4]b. Lie of Ball to be Placed or Replaced Altered[/h]If the original lie of a ball to be placed or replaced has been altered:

(i)
except in a hazard, the ball must be placed in the nearest lie most similar to the original lie that is not more than one club-length from the original lie, not nearer the hole and not in a hazard;

Back