A club that changed your game?

My putter. It's like the 8802's poor, unfortunate cousin. Until I got it, I was putting with a 4iron. These offset PsOS are baffling at best, to me.

X2Hot Hybrid. I was never a fan of hybrids, I tried a bunch and they just never worked for me. This one was different, it was love at first swing. It changed a lot for me. On shorter par 4's its perfect off the tee and goes a mile. Its so easy to hit and it just goes and goes. I changed the shaft to a UST IRod from the stock tour green and my love for the club got stronger. From the looks to the results to the sound, it will be very hard for me to get rid of it.

The club I can remember making a big difference for me was the Taylor Made Burner driver in 1994, my first metal driver after learning on persimmon (McGregor Tourney DX, Titleist Acushnet and Hogan Speed Slot). The next big change for me came in adding a gap and lob wedge.

Have to go way back, but the one club I bought that truly made a transformational leap in my game was my first set of Ping Zings in 1993. Night and day compared to the off the rack Wilson/Staffs I'd been playing. Transformed my game and my enjoyment of it. Got real serious real fast.

Saved a lot of summer mowing money for those sticks. Wish I still had them.

JPX 800 Pros replacing my Zings made me drop my handicap by 10+ strokes. Getting fit was likely the difference maker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04 Launcher driver and when I first got hybrids about 10 years ago.

First for me was the 2005 Callaway Big Bertha 454 driver. It was a bomb for me when it came out, and I hit a ton of fairways with it. I progressed from there, and the FT-9 was good for me, then I had a couple of Ping years which were ok, but not great and I returned with the X Hot line and now the XR line and the XR driver is much more for me right now than any of the previous Callaway driver. This tells me they do have their act together and the gains are no lie right now. I'm waiting to get a new Great Big Bertha driver in my hands, but until then, the XR is getting it done like no other line of clubs I have ever owned.

I was sure the OEM's hit the limit a few years ago because of the USGA caps on things, but Doc Hock and his crew have their sh-t together right now.

Cleveland 588 Altitude irons I hate how they look but they took 10 shots of my handicap.

Back