Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Review Thread

Is anyone gaming these yet? mine are suppose to ship tomorrow and would love to hear some positive feedback.
Mine have come in, just haven't hit them yet. I'm curious how the shafts I picked pair with them.

Mine have come in, just haven't hit them yet. I'm curious how the shafts I picked pair with them.

Did you order a set of both the Pros and the CF16's?

Got confused seeing you said you had a set come in in the Apex Pro thread.
Then I posted in the wrong thread. I was probably drinking.

I played out of JBs bag a bunch during our round together on Sunday. Came away pretty impressed by these. More compact than I thought they would be, which is OK for me. I was worried about sound and feel going in because I didn't card for the XR Pro in that area. But they gave me nothing that would make me dislike what I was seeing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mine are on the truck, hope to have them in hand for the Friday round.

Sweet sticks dude! Can't wait to read your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, if you read further, I posted in the wrong thread. No pros for me

HA! I did read further and I too posted in the wrong thread

Got the call 45 minutes ago that mine are in, picking them up in the morning but do to work cannot play until Sat. really excited to try the Recoil 95 in the Pro head.

Well I was sitting at the PGA SS when it opened and low and behold the order was wrong, 110 S shafts instead of the 95 S ordered and I ordered the MD3 58 deg. wedge the same length as the set AW, it was not correct .50" shorter.

The Manager is sending them back, I guess I am playing the J15DF's for a while longer. Stay calm and carry on......

I honestly really want to hit these, now, no way I go this way for my #TheGrandaddy set, but I love a smaller profiled iron and it'll be fun to put a few swings on them for sure.

I have a strong idea of what I'm going to as for when it comes to my Grandaddy fitting with these. Hopefully going to start with KBS Tour as it's a shaft I am familiar with and know I usually get really good results with. Then going to try Recoil and Steelfiber and see which one comes close to KBS Tour. I'm sure there will be more to it, but those are the 3 that I have in my mind that I want to check.

update the update,
PGA SS called back and said the Recoil 95 is apparently only available in Regular. It is not flagged when ordering and no one there (PGA SS, even their buyer) knew this, I have reached out to Mr. Finley and he is checking it out to be sure.

I turned around and went back and picked them up and will try them as is, maybe they will be just what I need. The mistake on the Lob wedge is no big deal it is not a full swing club as a rule anyway. Just a tank of gas and 4 hours of driving around...

The Manager at the Store is a fantastic guy and felt awful that no one knew this, but it is not clear on the Cally website (at least not that I could find yet) that if you ordered stiff flex 95 you got the 110 automatically. You select the 95/110 shaft then if gives you the options on flex. They are getting played at 7:20 tomorrow and it going to be nice and cool so I am hoping for a nice low round with lots of good shots. Then play again on Sunday morning so I should get a pretty good feel for them this weekend.

If all else fails they told me to bring them back and they would give me 100% store credit, as a Sales / District Manager I really appreciate the attitude and effort made by Brian the PGA SS Manager, he was very patient and did his best to make things right. We even found a mistake in the order process and he refunded me some money that was over charged. Nice to deal with stand up people and they will get my Business from now on.

update the update,
PGA SS called back and said the Recoil 95 is apparently only available in Regular. It is not flagged when ordering and no one there (PGA SS, even their buyer) knew this, I have reached out to Mr. Finley and he is checking it out to be sure.

I turned around and went back and picked them up and will try them as is, maybe they will be just what I need. The mistake on the Lob wedge is no big deal it is not a full swing club as a rule anyway. Just a tank of gas and 4 hours of driving around...

The Manager at the Store is a fantastic guy and felt awful that no one knew this, but it is not clear on the Cally website (at least not that I could find yet) that if you ordered stiff flex 95 you got the 110 automatically. You select the 95/110 shaft then if gives you the options on flex. They are getting played at 7:20 tomorrow and it going to be nice and cool so I am hoping for a nice low round with lots of good shots. Then play again on Sunday morning so I should get a pretty good feel for them this weekend.

If all else fails they told me to bring them back and they would give me 100% store credit, as a Sales / District Manager I really appreciate the attitude and effort made by Brian the PGA SS Manager, he was very patient and did his best to make things right. We even found a mistake in the order process and he refunded me some money that was over charged. Nice to deal with stand up people and they will get my Business from now on.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Hope they work for you Jim. That is tough to hear about the wrong info but glad the PGA SS is being so accommodating. Sure wish we had one of those around here.

They do look nice in the bag

1st round is in the books, 43/42 and left a lot of putts out there.

I am pleasantly surprised how good these Irons are, I was worried about the 110 Recoils but in this head they are perfect. I also went with the GP MCC+4 in Standard with an extra wrap under the left hand and the clubs feel amazing, effortless to swing with a higher ball flight than the J15DF and about the same distances so far. They are very forgiving on all but total misses and loss very little distance, I hit more greens today than in my last 6 or 7 rounds and the Putter kept the score from being at least 6-8 strokes better.

The 4 rounds I played with the APEX CF16 were tough to judge since the setup was so far off, I think it was the combination of the 1" over length and the Midsize +4 grips that threw the whole feel off for me. The APEX Pros are not as long on equal contact but for me much easier to square up with better turf interaction and look awesome behind the ball. I was not after more distance anyway and as I said these are comparable distance wise the J15 DF so I am playing the same clubs into the green I was used to.

What I did see was the 4,5 & 6 irons with the Tungsten are much easier to hit than the J15 DF with better launch and carry, I pured a 4 iron off the deck on a Par 5 and it carried 205 and stopped in its mark on landing, that is a good as it gets for me. The 7-AW were about the same distance wise I was used to but what seemed to be 1/4 again as high and they dropped and stopped also, the set AW is a pleasure to hit both for full shots and around the green for chips. Love the MD3 58 deg. also. Overall the 1st impressions are very, very good and a welcome relief.

Playing a longer and harder Course tomorrow so that will be a good second round to see how they shine. I do wish they had got the wedge lengths correct but that is an easy fix.

Oh wow, yes they do. I would love to play out of that bag haha

Same here. That's some nice looking clubs and bag right there. Play well.

God those look great in a bag

Just a little grandaddy FIFY.

Haha I wouldn't be surprised, but it's gonna be hard for me to turn down CF. I've been known to wear out the toe of an iron before the sweet spot lol

That seems to be my miss also when I pull up and out of it, but these really felt solid on anything but a thin miss which I had one with the 7 iron into the wind from 165 and still made the green but it ran up there. They are a lot more forgiving than you would think, for me they are easier to hit than the CF.

Might just be a mental thing but I like a smaller club head so there is less to miss with if that makes sense.

Haha I wouldn't be surprised, but it's gonna be hard for me to turn down CF. I've been known to wear out the toe of an iron before the sweet spot lol

Back