• 30 min

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • All day

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Following up on Fupy’s threads about practice, I’d like to know how much time do people feel they need to improve?

I hear I don’t have the time as the common reason for not practicing. And I’m thinking people feel they need two hours to practice.

What would be satisfying to you in terms of time?

I generally tire out after a large bucket of balls. 125 balls in that bucket. By the time I'm done with it I am physically and mentally tired. That's usually anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 15. I'm an older guy, so take that with a grain of salt for the younger folk.

20 minutes without sand work, 30 with.

It really depends on where my game is. As you know my swing was in the crapper for a long time. In August I went twice a week for an hour (large bucket) for 4 weeks and got things back on track now if I go to the range for an hour a week I can make smaller adjustments and still improve.

It won't get me to scratch but I know it can get me to mid 70's/low 80's in a frequent basis.

i like having 2 hours. work through 3-4 clubs in a large bucket takes me about 1hr-1hr 15min. work on chips and pitches with one or two wedges for 15-30min. then practice putting for 15-30min.

Around 30-40 minutes and I am good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what day of the week. Weeknights I'll hit a large bucket for 45-60 minutes and that's it as lights shut off 9pm. Weekends same large bucket plus chipping and putting for 90-120 minutes. I don't do the weekend practice often as I'd rather go play 18.

I voted for two hours. Not because I think that's how long I need to get better or feel like it's a good practice session. It's more in terms of not being rushed and taking my time through my bag and in the short game area.

If I’m going to putt and hit balls then 90-120 mins. If it’s either or about an hour is good but I like to practice so I don’t worry how long I’m at the range

I can spend 2-3 hours practicing and be happy. Start off with some chipping, work my way over to the range to hit half the medium bucket, walk over to the pitching area to hit over a bunker, in the bunker, plug a few golf balls in the rough to work on those shots. Then back to the range to finish the remaining half of the bucket.

Hmm not one time did I mention putting. Probably why I average 32 putts a round haha

Following up on Fupy’s threads about practice, I’d like to know how much time do people feel they need to improve?

I hear I don’t have the time as the common reason for not practicing. And I’m thinking people feel they need two hours to practice.

What would be satisfying to you in terms of time?

2 hours to practice but how often?

Do you mean time per practice session regardless of how often the sessions are?

It's hard to answer. I've always loved to practice and time flies when I do but I always have defined objectives whenever I practice. Sometimes I plan work on several different things, in sets, and can be there for a number of hours, but it's broken up into different things. I never just beat balls though.

At least for me it's not so much a question of how long do I need to practice, but how often can I get out to practice. I think I need to get out at least twice, more preferably three times a week to practice for 30-60 minutes.

I voted an hour, because that's my minimum. I try to devote 40% to putting, 40% to short game, and then 20% for the rest of the bag. Realistically I'm at the range for anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 every time I'm there.

I've changed my practice routine. Shorter, fewer balls. I try to make every swing a top quality one and don't keep hammering balls once I'm tired. Usually 30 mins is a good jumping off point.

Wishful thinking on my part, an hour or two a day..
When I play 2-3 times a week I hit range, chip/putt for an hour before my round.
My season starts late April and basically ends the first week of September due to multiple children in soccer, they have activities all year long but for some reason when soccer starts, golf ends for the most part, I do get out now and then though so I guess I got that going for me..

depends on what I am trying to do, and I mean that globally. Am I trying to improve my game and lower my handicap? I need 6-10 hours a week. I need to be on the chipping green for an hour 3-4 times, at the wedge green at least that much if not more, putting green about half that, and still have some time for the range to work on my longer clubs. Whatever the weak link in my game will occupy the lions share of that time.

Conversely, if my game has reached a point that is "good enough for me"...an hour or two a week is plenty, maybe too much. Right now I am happy with my skill level. I am not trying to become scratch, not trying to lower my cap. I can go out and not embarrass myself with strangers, I can hang with the vast majority of my coworkers/regular golf partners. Spending 40 hours a month trying to get from the hit the green 50%ish of the time from 100 in to hitting it 60% is not worth the time to me. If I reach the point I decide I want a lower handicap, that answer will change.

Time itself matters less than frequency for me. If I could practice 3-4 times per week, 30 minutes would be fine. But 30 minutes of practice is really an hour by the time you get there and back, etc. These days, if I'm lucky I get to practice once a week so I practice 90 minutes (2 hours in total). I'd rather have 3-4 times per week shorter.

I spent 2 hours on the range today and another hour on the practice green. Did me a lot of good today. I needed the work out.

How much time do you need to practice?

Around 30-40 minutes and I am good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I need about 4-5x a week not including lessons is ideal

I can spend hours on the practise tee. I would almost rather practise than play. I don't know what it is- I just love hitting balls at a target and trying different swings and seeing the results. It's kind of like shooting baskets to me.

I don't practice much and really only do it when I feel the swing needs a tune up. I spend my 30 minutes of practice all on the short game (putting/chipping).

I don't have a ton of natural talent so I have to play a lot to be able to get better. I think 3-4 rounds and 10 hours a week of practice would allow me to get better. 2 rounds and 5 hours a week would keep me solid.

I voted 1 hour but would prefer 2 hours. I don't like going to the range and just hitting a large bucket of balls into the distance with no goals. I'll warm up for 30 minutes or so with just chipping and putting and then move to the range and play a course in my mind. Hit Driver, then depending on how I think I hit it and if it would end up in a good spot, i'd choose my next club and go from there. Play 18 in my mind and not just the straight shots. I'll work in low punches if I think im in trees, hooks, slices, etc. Whatever is required!

I prefer an hour to 90 minutes, but I have found I can get some really good practice in 30 minutes. Too long and I lose focus, so ideally the an hour or so gets me some good reps and work some drills.

Back