I don't need 60°

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
I have played a 60° wedge for the last 16 years or so. I used to use my set SW and PW around the green then I added the 60°. Fast forward new irons now have a 54° that I rarely use as mostly I use the 60° inside 75 yards. Tonight I hit the chipping green and on a whim decided to focus on using the 54°. Honestly I was shocked at how much better I was in getting the ball close to the hole. So much more consistent and tighter dispersion. I also found on the range that I had no trouble playing to targets inside 75 yards. I don't think I would drop carrying a lob, but I seriously am considering swapping the 60° for a 58°, as I think a little less loft might actually be more versatile.

Care to share similar experience, would totally appreciate any input!

For me I always found a 60° wedge as a real specialty club and I only used to use it when I was short sided or maybe in the sand. I no longer carry one and really don't miss it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I gamed a 60 for a couple of months, now I game a 58. To be honest I have more options with the 58 now,go mid shots and just open the face for the higher shots. It all depends on what your main purpose for the wedge is. I like different options in wedges so I went this route

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Great topic. I have been considering no longer carrying my 60* a lot, lately. I rarely use it and when I do odds are good it'll get me in more trouble than I bargained for. I think I will leave it out for a few rounds starting Sunday and enjoy a little weight savings.

i went from a 60 to a 58. Still getting use to it. I really like it though. Im still getting use to flop shots with it though.

I noticed this a while ago, dropped my 60 and played only up to a 55. Then noticed on hills where I hit over green, and several other shots where I needed to flop it on the green, and didn't have much room to work with I missed the 60. Fast forward a few months I've been studying Dave Pelz short game tips (really helped btw), he advocates all golfers play a 64. I don't play the 64 a lot but the 2 or 3 shots a game I need it I'm really glad it's there.

This is my second full golf season without a 60 and I just think my game is better with out it. I have one at the house that I practice around with here but probably will not game it.

If the 54 works for you keep using it. Good luck

Yea you have to focus on what gets the ball close and not the number. I've had numerous 60 degree wedges and always found I did better when I had 58 or lower. We all can't be Phil and pop it straight up and stop on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the 58 more versatile than a 60 around the greens in terms of chipping and pitching. It took a long time to grow accustomed to a 60. I use it for pitching around the green, and use a 55 for chipping when I want some roll. I enjoy the 60 and hit low pitches and high pitches, and little flops. I do not like to open the club face around the green. A square face club makes any club you are using near the hole, more accurate.

I very much need mine, but many tour players max out at a 56*.

I carry a 58 degree, but I don't use it all that often. Only when I'm forced to go high over something. I play with one guy that only carries a 52 degree and he just sets his forward for less loft and back for more loft. He says it is a 50 to 60 degree wedge all in one.

I haven't played a 60* for many years. I went to a 56* to simplify my game and found I could play about any shot I needed to. Recently I switched irons and because of the new gapping ended up changing my wedge setup. I now have a 58* and can't see needing any more loft. It is really universal for around the greens and longer distances.

I dropped the 60° years ago, now I play the 50°, 54° & 58° and can pretty much hit any shot I need with that set up.

My 54 is the most used club in my bag. Tried the 58 for a while and love it from the fairway but cant hit it for nothing out of the sand so i went back to a 60 mainly for greenside bunkers

I play (in some mix) 58*, 60* and 62* wedges. I use them around the green, out of bunkers, and for some approach shots.
I think the decision to have one is multi-factorial - what type of courses are you playing, what is your usual miss, how fast are your greens, have you practiced with it, etc...
I have been told by more than a few professionals in town that a 60* wedge is a necessity on desert courses, and there are guys who play 64* wedges at my club.

I play (in some mix) 58*, 60* and 62* wedges. I use them around the green, out of bunkers, and for some approach shots.
I think the decision to have one is multi-factorial - what type of courses are you playing, what is your usual miss, how fast are your greens, have you practiced with it, etc...
I have been told by more than a few professionals in town that a 60* wedge is a necessity on desert courses, and there are guys who play 64* wedges at my club.
I actually think that's what I might end up doing. I think my main setup will be 50°/54°/58°. I often play short courses where I don't use my driver at all so I have considered pulling driver and adding a 62°.

I took the 58 out of the bag because I found I tried to get too cute with it and would end up in trouble instead. I can do everything I want with just the 56 and tend to hit less bad shots with it.

I took the 58 out of the bag because I found I tried to get too cute with it and would end up in trouble instead. I can do everything I want with just the 56 and tend to hit less bad shots with it.
I've though along those lines too, just bag the 50° and a 56°. I may consider swapping my set matched 45° for a Vokey 46° when I get my lofts and lies tweaked.

I think it's apparent I just need one of each loft, lol!

Used to carry 52/56/60 then dropped 56 just used 60, then changed it up to 57, but finding the gap between 52/57 too much, added a 54 this week.

One week this season I forgot my 57 and used exclusively 52 around the greens, it was my best round of the year. I'm hoping the 54 is my new happy medium. Gaming 51/54/57.

Those are pretty tight 3° gaps there. Or in the case of the 52° and 54° just 2° difference. Do you find those to be redundant at all on the course?

I dropped my 60 in favor of a 58 and it's been a move I have not regretted.

I actually think that's what I might end up doing. I think my main setup will be 50°/54°/58°. I often play short courses where I don't use my driver at all so I have considered pulling driver and adding a 62°.

If you think a 60° is tough, a 62° is even harder.

I watch most people struggle with a 60 because they don't commit to the shot or have improper technique with it. Higher lofted wedges require absolute commitment, good technique and lots of practice.

Around here I have to play a 61 and even a 64 at times. Greens don't hold all that well so loft is your only option to stop the ball when you can't spin it. The first 5 or 6 rounds with my 64 was a disaster. I had to go spend some serious time at the course learning how to properly use it. Total commitment and accelerating through the shot is a must. If you get cute, you'll regret it.

I don't struggle with my 60° in the sense of mis hitting mostly just distance control around the green. Spending more time getting it dialed in would be effective, but the reality I find is there aren't many circumstances where I really need 60° and 58° would work just as well, and might be more versatile.

I don't need 60°

I love my 60* but appreciate your findings. I could probably get away with a 58* or so just as well, but that extra difference between my sand wedge helps me be more precise where I am not with altering my distances/swing.

For example, sand shots. Also, very short approaches. I can take the 60*, open it a little and hit it real short with full swing and it's handy.

Chips around the green actually probably use my sw 56* much more.

I love mine, can't ever see me going to a lower degree, no idea why. Just a comfort thing out of the bunkers and around the greens

Back