Which OEM do you overvalue?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Countering my other thread about who you overlook, how about this one, who do you overvalue? Might not get too many answer to this one, and it might pee in some proverbial wheaties, but conversation is good and we need more of it!

If I had to, I'd say Callaway. I like the company a lot, so they're always my go to for new gear, it doesn't always work for me, but I try to make it work, even when I shouldn't.

• Staff
Personally? PING.

Why? Because my track record is SO EFFING GOOD with them, so I lean that way more than I do others and when a matchup is close, I side that way more easily.

That said, the PING's in my bag now have actually beaten all comers, so maybe not. LOL

Scotty Cameron, but it’s what keeps me smiling so the value is justified :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for this thread. You helped me to explain why I overlook Titleist. That may be because I overvalue them as "better player's clubs," and I am certainly not one of those.

Mine would be taylornade, they have always been the gold standard for me, they seem to always be the ones you see on tour the most besides Callaway

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think I overvalue any company at this point. I have tried to force Callaway into the bag in the past but don't any longer. Honestly believe I am playing what works and doing whatever I can to simplify the game for me.

This could be fun.... :popcorn:

As far as I am concerned, nobody pays me to play their clubs so I couldn't care less who makes the clubs I put in my bag. If someone wants to be my first choice for clubs they have to give me a damn good reason

I hate to say it but Callaway. Most times I give them first shot when their new equipment comes out and for some reason it just tends to rarely work for me.

Probably Callaway. The epic is in my bag for a long time, but I find myself blind buying wedges and irons and they never stay in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this thread. You helped me to explain why I overlook Titleist. That may be because I overvalue them as "better player's clubs," and I am certainly not one of those.

This is me as well.

Me, too. I wanted to like the Titleist clubs, but couldn't justify buying them with the state of my game. I did somehow manage to justify Ping, though ... probably because they were on clearance.

the only one that comes to mind would be GolfBuddy as for clubs my bag is open to anyone if I think their offerings can give the performance I want.

Scotty Cameron, but it’s what keeps me smiling so the value is justified :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 to this. I moved away from mine for no other reason than tinkering, and now it's back full time and I am putting better than ever. Looking back the Roundback served me well a long time ago and every Scotty I have had works for me.

Outside of putters it used to be Callaway because they were fun to interact with, #TheGrandaddy was pretty special for me and it helped they made clubs that I liked.

Perhaps a strange answer considering but Wilson. I have liked the brand forever in many different sports. I think I have given them a hall pass at times when maybe I should have looked at other product. Right now their stuff might be as good as its ever been but I know I have been blinded by how the line played for me years ago.

just so i understand the question, are you asking about a club that i give an extra "bump" to for no real reason other than my own perception/loyalty/warm-and-fuzzies?

just so i understand the question, are you asking about a club that i give an extra "bump" to for no real reason other than my own perception/loyalty/warm-and-fuzzies?

I think the genius of this question is that it is open to personal interpretation. What creates value for you may not create value for me.

I hate to say it but Callaway. Most times I give them first shot when their new equipment comes out and for some reason it just tends to rarely work for me.

This is pretty similar to me. I haven't played their irons on a long while but I have given their woods hard look after hard look and they never seem to work for me.

Bingo.

Golf talk is fun!

For me it's Toulon.
I own 3 of their putters and I'm not even sure I agree with many aspects of the brand. Custom putter prices for mass produced heads in China doesn't make much sense, but the final products are undeniably good.

i honestly don't know if i do overvalue any brand (at least as i interpret the question). if something works better for me and checks my boxes, i'll game it.

for a product that i love to drool over when there honestly isn't anything that differentiates it among its peers, i'll say scotty cameron putters. i think if you put a piece of tape over logos and put their anser against other ansers, i probably wouldn't pick them in a lineup. but let me see the scotty logo and i'm in love.

Callaway for me. The Epic driver is a perfect example. I had it in my head I needed one and went for a fitting two different times and just couldn't hit the club with any consistency at all. Going in I was absolutely convinced the Epic was going to be great for me because it was the latest Callaway driver. Honestly with any other brand I would not have put so much effort into trying to make it work.

I'm over-analytical so I'm constantly changing and its product by product fire me. I've never played a bag of just one brand. I do like Scotty putters but switched to an Odyssey counterbalanced simply based on performance. I did really take to the cobra fairway woods simply due to the perceived help from the rails on the bottom even though I don't really hit it much better than previous fairways.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's not a brand with any presence in the industry, but all things Hogan hits the warm fuzzy button for me. Aesthetically classic and huge respect for the legend of Mr Hogan.

I’m a taylormade guy and have been for many years. Not sure why to be quite honest. I just have this personal belief that they are the premier offering in the Woods category and seem to resonate with the younger crowd. I think mainly due to their marketing and the staff they have on tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back