30 Yards in Front of Green...whatcha Got?

56 for me. Choke up and actually swing the club, earlier this season I was just going through the motions. I would have a great practice swing then when it actually came time to hit the shot I didn't swing the club and it never work out well. These shots take practice but once you find something that works stick with it is my advice.

For me it depends how much green to the pin. I could do anything from a choked up partial swing with my 60* to a bump and run with an 8 iron. Just depends how much I need it to roll out.

For me it depends how much green to the pin. I could do anything from a choked up partial swing with my 60* to a bump and run with an 8 iron. Just depends how much I need it to roll out.

Wow! That is just about word for word what I was going to say.

But believe me when I say that I have put in Alot of time with practicing these shots to where now I am pretty comfortable (moreso with the 60* than my 8 iron) with these clubs.

A shot I continue to have (that I hate) thanks to crappy iron play is a 25-30 yard shot from the fairway to the pin. Most times there is nothing in front of me but the rest of the fairway and then the green. Below are some of the routes I have taken recently.

1. 60* partial swing, shank from the tight lie
2. 60* partial swing, huge decel chunk city
3. 53* attempt a partial swing, but end up "jabbing" at the ball and it is thinned across the green
4. Eff it, Im using my putter.

My short game time (and range time in general) has been non existent this year which is partly to blame. Ive been fortunate to golf with many a thper this year and I see this shot handled lots of different ways, so Im curious to know whats your SHOT here?

30 yds? flat or uphill I'll hit my SW and try to land it about 15 yds and hope it checks. I also might use my 8 iron and land it on the fringe if it's a back pin placement and I have a lot of green and let it roll because it's usually uphill. Honestly my goal is to just get it on the green.

What I'm working on is my approach shots. I want to get past the stuff in the front of the green and hope my ball sticks.

I deloft my PW (44) and bump and run. I'm pretty good with that shot and usually get it inside 10'.

I've just now gone to a PW or AW in this scenario if I think I can run it and stop it. The shorter the swing and faster it gets rolling on the putting surface, the better for me!

Typically 58, sometimes 54 and rarely my 50, always played a little back in my stance and feels more like a chip shot than a pitch shot to me, though there is a decent amount of wrist action (more like a pitch). Shot comes out fairly low with quite a bit of spin. That's the go-to shot for me and keeps me from getting too cute.

I've been practicing these shots a lot. I find that playing it like a chip is my best option. 58° wedge, normal grip and ball position, hands get about to the height of my belt line, then make sure I turn through the ball, and finish at the same height as my takeaway.

I'm not really consistent yet with it, but my good attempts are far better that the vast majority of shot the way I used to do it.

Depends on how much I need to carry, and when it lands how far to the pin. If it's about 50/50, I'm pulling my 54 wedge and taking a partial swing. If it needs a bit more roll, probably going for the DW. If it's up hill, I may grab my 8i and try to bump it into the ground and then have it roll the rest of the way. I prefer to keep it low, as that seems to result in the least penal shot for me if it goes awry.

I usually pull out a 54 or PW, use it as a cane to hold me up as i bend down to pick up the ball and then I throw the ball up to the green. It is by far more accurate than anything I have....

but in all seriousness I usually play a high 60* and pray it lands soft.

A shot I continue to have (that I hate) thanks to crappy iron play is a 25-30 yard shot from the fairway to the pin. Most times there is nothing in front of me but the rest of the fairway and then the green. Below are some of the routes I have taken recently.

3. 53* attempt a partial swing, but end up "jabbing" at the ball and it is thinned across the green

My short game time (and range time in general) has been non existent this year which is partly to blame. Ive been fortunate to golf with many a thper this year and I see this shot handled lots of different ways, so Im curious to know whats your SHOT here?
What I would like to do, depending on conditions, is either an 8i bump and run or a low wedge shot that hits near the edge of the green and rolls toward the pin.

Reality: Repeatedly decelerate the club and take 5 strokes to cover the distance. Though, for a change of pace I've used your options 1-3 as well.

Personally I use my 50* GW for those shots 99% of the time. Just find it easier to control

Choked up 60* half swing lotta spin.

Front, or even middle pin - 60' wedge. For whatever reason, it's the one club in my bag I have no hesitancy in hitting. Now, if it's wet, I may use a SW to use the bounce so I don't dig in and chunk it. A back pin probably a little bump and run with a PW. Again though - every shot is different...

Have any of you tried the "hybrid with a putting stroke" method from this distance?

Great thread! My goodness this sounds familiar.

Earlier this year I fell in love with a hands forward pitch using a higher lofted (say 58-60) degree wedge. Sadly, I had some of those shanks, chunks, fats, ball stopping half way to the hole, etc..

I've been switching over to using my gap wedge, kind of throwing it up on the green and then letting it roll out. I sometimes duff this shot though and end up blading it, or hitting it a little fat.

I'm not so sure I'm not better off using my chipper, popping it up and letting it roll to the hole. I think that my speed might be better.

On an avg to hairy fairway I use my 56* wedge. Ball in middle of my stance and very slight forward press. It results in a higher, softer shot with some roll out.

On a tight fairway, I use my 52* wedge. Ball slightly back in my stance and a little more forward press. This results in a little lower shot but has more spin for a 2 hopper and very little roll out.

On both shots I try to keep somewhat firm wrists to avoid the dreaded "flip".

54 degree for me a little open with a steeper swing than normal to get a little more height. I can't always pull it off but is't successful more often than not.

I like using my 60* and either clipping it so that it lands close to the hole or using my 50* to let it run out a little bit more. I'm about 75/25 on those methods this summer.

54* chip or short pitch, what ever is working that day.

Throw the 60* in the trash, take a 54* and throw it at the pin.

No matter what's in front of the green, 52* wedge.
Ball position 2 ball widths back of center stance.

Take club back to 9 O'clock position, follow through to 3 O'clock.

It may not work perfect, but I pull this off more than any other shot.

Jack

Wood! I love that shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 yards and no obstacles, I'm going with either a PW or 54* and going for a low shot that's more rollout than air. When I try to fly one in, I'm almost guaranteed to end up WELL past the hole, if not off the green entirely. The sooner I can get it on the ground and rolling, the better.

Not sure if it was an Utley vid, but I saw a clip earlier this summer of a shot that's played off the back foot with a 9i or PW that for me goes pretty much dead straight on the ground. If there's no obstacles & the surface is fairly even, I'm going with that one first.

Admittedly, I did not read all of the responses because I wanted to answer with my gut as it would be presented to me on the course. I will play this shot with a 7 iron all the way down to the Gap Wedge. Course conditions (hard vs soft) will be the ultimate decision. The harder the conditions the more lofted club I will use. I am not a high spin player so I play for the roll and use more of a putting type stroke. Pin in front or green tilted front to back? I'll add some loft. Pin center to back and green sloped from back to front and I will reduce loft.

I can throw it up there with a gap wedge, but the roll is more reliable for me in most situations. Since I am short of the green many times, this shot gets a fair amount of attention from me. Sometimes though, you just "know" what to do when you walk into the ball to survey the shot.

JM

Back