30 Yards in Front of Green...whatcha Got?

I don't think your instinct to putt is that far off. If there are no obstacles to be carried, then you can bounce it in with a 6iron. It's a low skill shot that requires more experience than practice and takes a lot less nerve to execute.

I haven't tried it, but there was a spot last night on Golf Channel with Tom Watson in which he showed you could hit different shots with the same club just by changing your grip with your left hand. I found that interesting.

I think you saw me do this a couple times in our round Saturday, but either an 8I for a bump and run or my 50* chip shot up there.

The 8I I use like a putting stroke to get it there and the 50* is a standard chip.

I've started playing this exact shot with my 55° Hopkins Shelf grind wedge. It took a lot of repetition, but I just address the ball with a square club face and "see the shot, hit the shot." It's more of a half swing than anything, and let your eyes dictate how "hard" you swing.

I had it figured out pretty good too apparently, as after playing the shot two or three times in my Savannah practice round with Freddie, he indicated that he wanted to video me hitting that shot for the forum. Thanks to that added pressure, I haven't pulled it off since. (Now rethinking it, maybe I was the example of what not to do…?)

Mikey
For me it depends on a few variables. How fluffy is the grass the ball is in? How much green do I have to work with? Slope of green once I get there (front to back or back to front)?
From those I get about 10 different shots. Probably stupid not to have a go-to, but hey, it's what I do and I "generally" can get it pretty close, or at least close enough for a legit one-putt chance.

Fluffy grass, short pin, and I'm hitting it well....60° every time. I just take a few steady, smooth swings and concentrate on not decel-ing. Flop city.
Fluffy grass, long pin, probably my AW, as it gives me a decent amount of loft, but will still check up and run out just a bit.
If the green is sloping to the back, I go 55° and the same swing as the AW, kind of a set wrist pseudo-putt swing. I get more loft and less run going downhill.
Tight lies are almost always my AW and I just hope the rest of the variables are manageable.

I have tried and tried to be that PW or 9 iron bump and run guy and have never been able to accomplish it. I have better luck and hitting the green from 150 hitting a low punch 1/2 swing 5 iron than I do a 9 iron bump and run from 20 yards. #StupidGame

First, I would go and buy that laser range finder so I am not ending up 25 to 30 yards short :alien:

If there is no rough to carry, I'll hit a low shot with my 50 degree wedge back in the stance and let it get running as quickly as I can. With rough to carry, probably my sand wedge forward in my stance and a bit open to use the bounce on the wedge.

Stockton's Unconscious Scoring does a great job of simplifying this shot. There is a low shot and high shot - each has it's own technique - and you simply commit to the shot prior to even pulling a club from the bag (80% of the time it will be the low shot). I think simplifying and committing to a shot is key on these partial shots. Would definitely recommend giving the book a read. It really changed my game for the better as previously I would try to improvise every time I was face with this shot rather than making it a "standard shot". Now it is no different than a full shot for me.
I read this during the summer and have tried to apply a lot of what he is teaching to my game. Low or high, no in between. Pick one and commit. Low shots I've been playing so well. Still working on distance control with the high ones, but I am getting onto greens instead of duffing them short.

This shot, and out to the 50 yard range, has been giving me fits as well. I've decided to start bump and running it with my 9i as a safer alternative than trying a partial wedge shot.

I'd love to have the low pitch shot that checks up. For those that use that shot, how do you pull it off?

First, I would go and buy that laser range finder so I am not ending up 25 to 30 yards short :alien:

If there is no rough to carry, I'll hit a low shot with my 50 degree wedge back in the stance and let it get running as quickly as I can. With rough to carry, probably my sand wedge forward in my stance and a bit open to use the bounce on the wedge.

haha got one of those, its my iron game thats leaving me way short (toe city)

52 or 56* choked down to almost the end of grip and play it middle of stance with about an 8-4 swing. Ensure I keep the body moving.

I would go PW if the path is pretty flat to let it run out, but if a false front or something is in play I would rather fly it with the 60*

60*. I feel very confident from that number with that club.

Now, if the pin is back and I have a ton of space, I'll also play an AW into it sometimes with a nice back of the stance little chip/pitch swing.

Lately I've been going to my 50* AW for this shot and just letting it hit and roll out to the pin.

Probably my 54° wedge and try to land it just short of the front edge of the green and roll out onto the putting surface. With only 30 yards, I'm not going to hit it hard enough to get any spin, so it's a matter of accepting that a front pin isn't something I'm likely to get close to. This is one of those "take your medicine" shots, especially to a front pin for me. I've tried flop shots or high pitches I'm hoping will stop close to the flag, with generally bad results. Pitch it, get it onto the green, get it to stop on the dance floor, take my chances with a putt.

I read this during the summer and have tried to apply a lot of what he is teaching to my game. Low or high, no in between. Pick one and commit. Low shots I've been playing so well. Still working on distance control with the high ones, but I am getting onto greens instead of duffing them short.

Yup. It really changed my game. I can never be "too close to the green" anymore. I am just as if not more confident in my shots 20-60 yards than my shots of 90-120

Yup. It really changed my game. I can never be "too close to the green" anymore. I am just as if not more confident in my shots 20-60 yards than my shots of 90-120
I hear you there. Sure, I still mess up short shots, but at least I am more confident in selecting the correct shot and the execution.

Depending on how far to the pin, if there is nothing else to worry about, I will use anything from a 6 iron to a pitching wedge. Whatever gets the ball a few feet onto the green so it can roll the rest of the way to the pin. I like to use one swing with many clubs when chipping instead of five or six different swings with one club. Hard enough for me to get one swing right than worry about multiples!

Either a 9,pw or 54. It all depends on how o think the ball will react on the gree.

Usually a 54° for me. I will adjust the shot type and swing depending on the situation I'm faced with.

I don't think your instinct to putt is that far off. If there are no obstacles to be carried, then you can bounce it in with a 6iron. It's a low skill shot that requires more experience than practice and takes a lot less nerve to execute.

Actually, his instinct IS to putt that far off.

58 deg for me all the time now unless it's a lie that I will most definitely hit thin. Then it's a 52 bump and run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 more shots left.

My 60* wedge will do the job with a chip shot.... More than likely keeping it a little low to run right up to the hole.

Back