Thoughts on Azinger Pitching method?

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I am attempting to make by biggest weakness, those little chips/pitches, my strength. As a result, i have been trying out different methods. I have found some initial success with the Paul Azinger Pitching method. Here is a link if you haven't seen it:

https://youtu.be/n8w0mYnxdLk

I am considering going "all in" with this technique. Has anybody used it? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has had a solid short game for a long time and he isn't the first pro or teacher I hear say this.

What seems to be the issue? Chipping is very easy when the basics are in place. Weight on front foot, ball in front or back of stance. Stance open to your target. Hands forward and club face aimed at target

Thoughts on Azinger Pitching method?

The issue is mostly in my head. I had so many bad shots in the past that I get tentative on those delicate shots. As a result, i seldom use a wedge from tight lies any more due to fear. I mostly use a 6 hybrid since i have learned to use it effectively without bad misses.
As soon as I grab a wedge from a tight lie, i tend to hit strong low shots.
In the past, i have spent days working on the traditional chipping method (weight forward, shaft lean, descending blow, center back ball position) and can temporarily master it. However, once I am playing a competitive round, i become a 30 handicap chipper.

I used to struggle like you mentioned in the last post. Flubbed chips killed my rounds. Took a lesson from the pro one day after a particularly frustrating round, literally walked off 18 into the proshop and asked for a 15 minute chipping/pitching lesson.

Stand on lead foot, use the toe of the trailing foot to balance yourself. Take less loft, for me it was a PW to a 9 iron for that set of clubs. Toe the club down (or heel up if you prefer the description) and start with small swings working to longer. Best 15 minutes of teaching I've ever gotten.

I'm confused. what is any different from this "technique" than standard pitching? I don't mean any offense, but maybe your understanding of basic pitching technique just needs to be revisited.

for me, I've found that a more dominant left hand action with knee flex, soft arms and acceleration does the trick. one other thought I'll sometimes have is to keep the heel of the club up. seems to be an anti-chunk move.

I'm confused. what is any different from this "technique" than standard pitching? I don't mean any offense, but maybe your understanding of basic pitching technique just needs to be revisited.

for me, I've found that a more dominant left hand action with knee flex, soft arms and acceleration does the trick. one other thought I'll sometimes have is to keep the heel of the club up. seems to be an anti-chunk move.

No offense taken and comment is much appreciated. Even though I understand the principles of the standard technique. My execution leaves a lot to be desired. As a result of my anxiety relating to those delicate shots, I normally do the following things (cardinal sins):

Very bad tempo.
Right hand pressure suddenly changes.
Too shallow.
Too steep.
Out too in path pulls ball left.
Head moves.

All of this in a 10 yard pitch of you can believe it!

No offense taken and comment is much appreciated. Even though I understand the principles of the standard technique. My execution leaves a lot to be desired. As a result of my anxiety relating to those delicate shots, I normally do the following things (cardinal sins):

Very bad tempo.
Right hand pressure suddenly changes.
Too shallow.
Too steep.
Out too in path pulls ball left.
Head moves.

All of this in a 10 yard pitch of you can believe it!

I can empathize with you on that because I've lately had issues with my pitch and chips when I used to consider myself to be a good pitcher and chipper.

I don't know about the method you're showing because I play in different courses from fluffy to mushy to tight lies.

I'm clawing back to being good at this by focusing on ball contact, turning towards the target and keeping my head still. And doing a lot of pitching reps.

They're right. Broken down, the pitch is such a simple shot. The problem is more of a mind thing or a confidence issue. Whatever method you will choose, work at it till you reach a good level of confidence.

What seems to be the issue? Chipping is very easy when the basics are in place. Weight on front foot, ball in front or back of stance. Stance open to your target. Hands forward and club face aimed at target

This is what I have been taught.

Sometimes if I'm chunking my chips, I'll take my practice swings directly to the shot. Meaning, I take my time to find the right ground contact and tempo, then step up and just go for the ball. This doesn't give my mind enough time to effect the shot.

But as far as this thread is concerned, yes, I do agree with the azinger style

Back