Callaway XR Pro Irons Review

welp...5-PW with KBS Tour V and i-Line grips heading my way. Just couldn't resist a little more forgiveness

I have actually done the same thing after a three month experiment the 4 hybrid is back in the bag. From the rough, tight lie, and downhill lie the hybrid just performs better.

noticed that you are testing the Ping IE irons. I've been playing the XR Pros all year and have played very well...but something about the IE makes me want to try them. Could you share some thoughts on the Pings? And maybe some comparisons between the two?

thanks!

I have actually stayed with the Callaway XR Pro. I have played the PING I series irons on and off since 2003. The XR Pro's allow me to drop the 4 iron because they are about 7 yards longer than the IE's. I wanted to love them but I will stick with the XR pro's. I am actually awaiting the new Apex irons that come out next month. IE's are great but not better than XR's for me.

Every time I decide to move away from these for a bit and then come back, I wonder why I wander?

Sure, my sights are fully on the new Apex in December, but these are still just a silly amount of fun for me when they're in the bag. Plus, the distance is silly still for me...in a good way.

Mine left Mexico today!

Every time I decide to move away from these for a bit and then come back, I wonder why I wander?

Sure, my sights are fully on the new Apex in December, but these are still just a silly amount of fun for me when they're in the bag. Plus, the distance is silly still for me...in a good way.

I agree with JMAN here I only needed a little bit of time with the Pings to know the XR PROS were staying in the bag.

I've had these in the bag for three rounds this week because of higher winds and them having x flex shafts in them.

I've always had a blast with them, but the distance is just a bit wild. 140+ yard AW.... oh hey I've got 170 I guess I can just step on an 8.... it's fun, but it can be a bit wild.

I've had these in the bag for three rounds this week because of higher winds and them having x flex shafts in them.

I've always had a blast with them, but the distance is just a bit wild. 140+ yard AW.... oh hey I've got 170 I guess I can just step on an 8.... it's fun, but it can be a bit wild.

Agreed completely, on all counts.

I really need to get off the pot and put the DG Pro's in these soon.

I spent a little time with these today at Dicks on the simulator. When I first tried these at Golfsmith I was not overwhelmed. Today I had a different feeling about them. The more I hit them the more I liked them. The simulator said I was hitting a seven iron around 170sh. That would be around ten yards longer than my current seven iron.

You should see what you would get here in CO at 6000 ft. Ohh I have 196 I guess I will take something off a seven iron!

Mine are on the UPS truck to be delivered today. I am pretty excited to put these in play at the Bridgestone Championship this weekend. I don't expect distance gains, just more forgiveness and less distance loss on off center hits.

Mine are on the UPS truck to be delivered today. I am pretty excited to put these in play at the Bridgestone Championship this weekend. I don't expect distance gains, just more forgiveness and less distance loss on off center hits.

I think you'll enjoy them.

Hi Jman

Maybe this is a silly question, but is there something in particular you would like out of the new Apex irons that you feel you aren't getting from the XR's? Or is it just a case of hoping for an all round improvement/refinement?

Thanks

Steven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky

Hi Jman

Maybe this is a silly question, but is there something in particular you would like out of the new Apex irons that you feel you aren't getting from the XR's? Or is it just a case of hoping for an all round improvement/refinement?

Thanks

Steven

More than anything, I love shiny. Beyond that there is a lot of unknowns for the Apex for me still (THP will have a ton of info soon though on them), but I gamed the originals for a long time and that continue to be one of my favorite irons ever. I'm hoping for the same, with some of this XR tech built in. That would be unreal.

But I can safely say, I'll be rocking one of the Apex sets in #TheGrandaddy in December.

More than anything, I love shiny. Beyond that there is a lot of unknowns for the Apex for me still (THP will have a ton of info soon though on them), but I gamed the originals for a long time and that continue to be one of my favorite irons ever. I'm hoping for the same, with some of this XR tech built in. That would be unreal.

But I can safely say, I'll be rocking one of the Apex sets in #TheGrandaddy in December.

My thought as well. I love the satin of the Apex. If you bring me the satin and feel of Apex, but with Cup Face from XR Pro somehow.. Wowza. I think it may be the perfect iron for me.

Thanks appreciate the response, for me they were a good bit longer than anything else I've tried and seemed to suit my miss. I wasn't overwhelmed by the looks and finish but minor issues I guess. Just want to demo the equivalent(ish) Nikes and Cobras when I'm off for a custom fit in a few weeks.

Have any of you guys upgraded your Xhot or X2 Hot Pro irons to these? I found the X2 pros I hit the other day actually performed better then the XR Pros?
Just wondering if anyone else has found the same?

Have any of you guys upgraded your Xhot or X2 Hot Pro irons to these? I found the X2 pros I hit the other day actually performed better then the XR Pros?
Just wondering if anyone else has found the same?

I went from xhot pro to Apex and now XR pro. Apex from xhot pro was 100% better for me. Won't be able to tell you much about XR pro until Monday but I have the XR pro AW and based on that club alone I would give XR pro the edge over both Apex and xhot pro but that's not a great sample.

I also have hit the regular x2hot and prefer my Apex but could live with either I believe.

I went from xhot pro to Apex and now XR pro. Apex from xhot pro was 100% better for me. Won't be able to tell you much about XR pro until Monday but I have the XR pro AW and based on that club alone I would give XR pro the edge over both Apex and xhot pro but that's not a great sample.

I also have hit the regular x2hot and prefer my Apex but could live with either I believe.

Rock the heck out of these XR Pros this weekend Rancey! Take home that championship!

HHJJ!

d3812be5c930dcd85bd0c108a97edb01.jpg

Those look great Rancey!

I really really really like the profile. Just a hair smaller than the Apex but not "how am I supposed to find the face" small. Can't wait to hit them in Orlando

These were not overly forgiving for me today. I am going to chalk it up to a poor swing. JB talking about the new Apex tho...cmon man!

Hit these quite well today. Quite well indeed.

And Fupy just crushes that 4i.

Back