Who wants to buy a golf store?

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently found out that the owners of Golf Stop in Tucson have decided to retire and sell the business. The store has been owned by two former LPGA pros and a teaching pro for more than 30 years, and was recently named Top 100 Club Fitters in America by Golf Digest. I've never received anything less than amazing service from the employees whenever I've been there. I hope they find a buyer who will maintain their reputation for customer service, lessons, and fitting. I would hate to see them get swallowed up by the big box stores.

I think it would be an awesome opportunity, but also an good chance of losing a lot of money too.

Hopefully a new buyer takes over and continues the great service you have gotten!

This does not surprise me. I have been going to The Golf Stop for over 25 years (when they were on 36th Street). They are not very friendly and their pricing is not competitive. They do have a good location but really offer no competition to Vans or Golfsmith. Beth, JoAnne and Pam are knowledgeable but never did much to attract new business.

That's odd tucsondivots. The best fitter in my country has a few shops (I think 4 now?). His prices are not competitive at all, but as he has such an awesome crew working for him, doing superb fittings and delivering seriously good service, his company is doing great. He's been voted best PING fitter in Europe again this year (iirc).

I'm willing to spend more to get a good fit and have the service they deliver: exceeding my expectations every time. (Grips seem to go out to soon? Here's a couple new ones. Shaft bent? We probably have one, bring it over, we'll fix it.. Often with no charge. You drove a friend for his fitting? Here's a dozen balls for you.)

That's one investment I would run from - may have more luck putting my money in a pile and lighting it on fire.

That's one investment I would run from - may have more luck putting my money in a pile and lighting it on fire.

I agree. Finding a bank willing to go there is doubtful.

Way to risky of an Investment. Actually anything golf related is a risky investment, one market that would be a super bad choice. One of our families friends son was thinking about getting into the business instead of going to college. Thank goodness x1000000000000 our conversation with him convinced him to stay away from that career choice.

maybe 20 years ago this would be something to consider.

Way to risky of an Investment. Actually anything golf related is a risky investment, one market that would be a super bad choice. One of our families friends son was thinking about getting into the business instead of going to college. Thank goodness x1000000000000 our conversation with him convinced him to stay away from that career choice.

maybe 20 years ago this would be something to consider.
There's plenty of colleges for golf that don't involve just playing and you can be very successful with them. Not sure where you are getting your stats.

I have a buddy who used to run a golf store inside a busy golf clubhouse, he ended up closing the business.

I think we need to look beyond the fact that it is our passion, inventory needs to keep moving, and there needs to be both fast movers that make a little and slow ones that make a lot, and find ways and means to keep the market interested.

It's not an easy business, I would rather go into, oh, funeral parlors and liposuction, and whoever runs the golf store should look beyond the gearhead playground and run it like a business.

Last edited:
I'll buy it and call it wugalaxy superstore.

I wouldn't want to be in any sort of small retail business, but especially not the golf retail business. It's just impossible to compete with the big guys and the online retailers. You may be able to offer great service and scratch out a living, but it would involve a ton of work. Those kinds of things are best tackled by people with way more passion than me.

I wouldn't want to be in any sort of small retail business, but especially not the golf retail business. It's just impossible to compete with the big guys and the online retailers. You may be able to offer great service and scratch out a living, but it would involve a ton of work. Those kinds of things are best tackled by people with way more passion than me.

The only way I could see it working out is do like discount Dan and sell a ton through the Internet via word of mouth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought a golf themed sports bar would be kinda awesome, with hitting stalls and launch monitors and people could play virtual rounds with friends on the same course as a current tour. Brewskies, Cigars, and just for kicks, have some themed golf attire to sell, maybe offer some club repair services there too, and fitting.

Back