When you're off, how far off are you?

When you're off, how far off are you?

I feel like when I'm off I'm just not concentrating enough. I fluctuate between 8-10 strokes from my best to my worse.

Last edited:
I feel like when I'm off I'm just not concentrating enough. I fluctuate between 8-10 strokes from my bed to my worse.

That many strokes from your bed? I am impressed.

I can go off the rails if something just isn't clicking. Not extremely, but mid to high nineties is a possibility compared to mid eighties when I'm playing well.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

When I'm off it's a quick swing. Have always fought too quick of a swing, and sometimes I have 3 three putts in a round. When I'm on, I have Fred Couples swing pictured in my mind to help with the tempo. Score when I'm on 76 to 80, and when I'm off it's up to 86. By no means am I griping though. I'm 71 years old now, right shoulder replaced last May and left shoulder micro surgery for rotator cuff tear and labrum tears last September. Club head speed with driver is climbing back up after PT for both surgeries and exercise trice weekly for shoulder strength build-up, it's at 88-90 mph now. Been blessed with a single digit handicap from 1969 till now, and early on if I could have putted, I might not have made a career in the Navy, then a second career with an aerospace Company. Oh..................if I could have putted. I caddied for Rod Funseth in the 1968 Hawaiian Open Tournament when I was stationed at Barbers Point, Hawaii. Looped for Rod on Tues, practice round, Wed Pro-Am and Thursday through Sunday. Thursday and Friday we played with Gardner Dickinson and Arnold Palmer. What a treat, watching Arnold when he was still The Man for 36 holes. As nice as he could be, Gardner Dickinson was much more taking care of business during both rounds. Got a very good teach on what kind of game the Pro's played and putting was #1. If you can't putt, you have no business on the Tour. They can all hit big drives, solid fairway woods, great irons, and their short games are great. It's who has the hot putter for 4 days that generally wins, especially today's young, physical fit, non drinking like the old days after a round young players. In 1995 when I was working at Boeing, St. Louis, I caddied in the Hogan, or Nike can't remember, 4 day Tournament. I volunteered again to caddy like I did in Hawaii years before, and caught Damon "Chicken Man" Greene and looped for him for the Tournament. He was hitting the Callaway Great Big Bertha that had just been announced, and clobbered it a mile. Hope to see Damon and say :hello: if Zach Johnson plays in the Shriners Tournament here in Las Vegas coming up soon.

10 strokes. I'm usually swinging flat footed.

Resulting scores can vary quite a bit (As much as 10 shots for 18 holes), but for me good and bad play are not that far apart in terms of ball striking. All of our greens are elevated with very firm edges and most are surrounded by hazard and out of bounds. A shot that lands on or near the fringe can bounce 20-30 yards into messy to terrible situations. It doesn't take much for a pretty good shot to become a really bad shot. And then putting, there are days where the ball position to the pin seems to end up over and over on a ridge line where with a different pace the ball can break either way. That's tough. Other days, I see a lot of makable putts with more readable lines. Part of the challenge is that I am not laser accurate with every shot, but I don't think my good and bad shots are generally that far apart. Somedays, however, resulting scores can quickly get out of hand.

Last edited:
Well, that was this weekend. Played 12 holes on Saturday at 2 over - par'd the first 5 holes and everything was picture perfect. Long drives in the middle of the fairways, all GIR's, just missing birdies and tap in pars. Oh, golf can be so easy. Last 7 holes, scrambling was good, had two bogeys but pretty nice clean golf.

Yesterday, went out and played 9 shot +10. No tempo, arms felt like lead and my body was aching. Actually hit 5 of 7 fairways and the other two were only in the first cut but with poor tempo I was short all day. I got frustrated and it leaked over into my short game.

I think I just hit the wall as I'd played 130 holes or so of golf over the prior two weeks and all but one day that I didn't play I hit balls for 70-80 minutes. I need to rest a bit.

Last edited:
When one part of my game is off another part usually can make up for it, conversely it is rare for everything to be on all at once. Ultimately any given day I could either shoot 78 or 95.

HUGE swing for me would say 20 or so strokes from my best to worst I have gotten better at containing it but still when I am struggling it is ugly

Even when nothing is going right, I can typically manage my game to no more than 8 strokes above my norm. Just try to play within my limits on that given day for damage control.

Normal off is about 7 strokes. Jump off the bridge off is about 15 strokes.

The last time I played I went 43 on the front and 58 on the back. Usually I am within a few strokes on either side but that round was odd.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Off for me would be back to back doubles or a triple thrown in somewhere. At that point, I just play on and leave the crap behind.

Usually it's manageable, but I've been known to go off the reservation before! lol Once this year I had an HONEST 20 stroke swing from a Friday to a Saturday. That's really rare for me though. Usually, it's less than 10 strokes.

If it's south for me it's usually right off the bat, I try to claw it back but unfortunately when it's gone it's gone. If I drank I'd be plastered by 9 lol

It always starts off of the tee... usually starts with a snap or pull hook left, I'll do that once or twice then follow it up with a push or fade right.... at that point I have no idea where my tee shot will go.. it is then time to aim down the center and pray.... Maybe enjoy a few beers and see if I can scramble and have my short game save me. It is definitely something I need to work on moving forward

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It always starts off of the tee...

Same with me. Usually on off days, I can manage my irons but punish myself with the driver....and on the course I play frequently, missing the fairway by 10yrds let along the 15-20 I sometimes manage on off days puts me in the long grass or heavy bushes and so the lost balls mount fast. Sometimes it is better when I miss by even more because then I may actually be "fine" and playing up another fairway. Have no idea why even on bad days I can manage to get the irons going reasonably but the driver can remain a lost cause....

Same with me. Usually on off days, I can manage my irons but punish myself with the driver....and on the course I play frequently, missing the fairway by 10yrds let along the 15-20 I sometimes manage on off days puts me in the long grass or heavy bushes and so the lost balls mount fast. Sometimes it is better when I miss by even more because then I may actually be "fine" and playing up another fairway. Have no idea why even on bad days I can manage to get the irons going reasonably but the driver can remain a lost cause....

This was kinda me yesterday. Missed every single fairway but still managed a 42 because I was able to still hit the irons OK and the short game was decent.

The damage isn't usually too bad. Lately containing it to a double bogey.

Long gone are the days when an 8 or 10 is a usual occurrence.

I played some of my worst golf of the year at #TheGauntlet. Just missing with everything. Hitting it well, it just wasn't going where I wanted it to. That's better than my old off days, but it's still frustrating. I can still keep it under 90 when I'm having a bad day. It used to not be that way.

when it goes, it goes. Bring on the beer and trick shots out of the woods.

It usually feels worse than it is. Probably less than 8-10, but for me that's the difference between breaking 90 or going over 100. Of course, I have had back to back days with an over 20 stroke difference.

This year my off days have been much more manageable. I'm usually off from the start of the round and to fix the train I try to keep it simple. If everything is going to the right I simply stop smacking my head against the wall and play for the extra off-centerness instead of the straight ball. To me that's the only way to keep the score manageable. Towards the end of the year I've had cases of the shanks and I've had to salvage those by staying down and through in the swing.

Luckily I've only had 1 or 2 rounds over 100 this year, and usually when I'm off I can keep below 94 for the most part.

I am a little off right now, trying to lock in my swing has led to some inconsistency. The most recent round I played highlights this best:

Front 9: 39
Back 9: 47
86 total

I putted well on the front to scramble some pars and get a birdie, then on the back I had 3 double bogies in a row. Not a bad round at all, but when I am playing well I think I should be in the low 80s. This has been my biggest improvement this year, my bad rounds previously I was trying to keep it in double digits. Now I am keeping it in the 80s more often than not.

Back