Wedge flex question

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
I was recently fitted for new irons. Per the fitting I stepped down from a R to an A flex. My wedges are all S flex. I understand that you generally have stiffer shafts in your wedges because that increases accuracy and you don't often hit those clubs full. My new set includes an AW, so I am keeping both my 55 and 60. The new setup will have a 6[SUP]o [/SUP]gap between my AW and GW, a bit larger than you would want. I am expecting a larger gap (on full swings) given the different shaft flex as well. So my question is, when I decide to upgrade my wedges should I look to a R shaft for the SW and LW? Should I also look to drop my lofts a bit to 54[SUP]o [/SUP]and 58[SUP]o[/SUP]?

I am going to ask my fitter these questions (as well as lie angle and shaft length) when I pick up my clubs

I would say yes to both of your questions but would definitely go with what the fitter says.

Agree with SoxFan. One thing to note however. Because wedges are shorter in length, the shafts usually play a bit stiffer in general.

Scott is right, the fitter is key. Personally I like the 54,58 set up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I would say yes to both of your questions but would definitely go with what the fitter says.

I agree. Trust your fitter.

Thanks, I was going to ask my fitter but it good to have some input beforehand. He did tell me that he would have had me to go up to SW with my new clubs but I prefer steel shafts for that and I'd rather go with different wedges than my irons above the AW. So those are going to be different than my irons.

Back