Defining The Term "Senior"...

Phfat

Reaction score
Handicap
30 or so..
I have noticed an inconsistency in the definition of the term "senior". The PGA says a senior is a player over 50, but I have seen different contests that do not confer senior status on a player unless, in some cases, the player is as old as 70!! I have also seen ages of 60, 65 used. So then, is there no standardized minimum age to be considered a senior player? If so, why don't various clubs honor it? Or are individual clubs at liberty to make it whatever they wish?

Don't confuse the PGA senior with the senior tees. They play pretty long courses. If you mean senior discount then I would say 65. I have seen events where 50-60 year olds play 1 box up and 61+ plays 3 boxes up. If the question is should I play the forward tees once you turn 50 then the answer is play what you want but at 50 there should be no need to play the really short box.

It is group depend, ours moved to the senior men's tees after 65. But it is based solely on health consideration, play where you are most comfortable no matter how old you are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As a golf course operator, we use 62 as a baseline for Senior Rates. We base it on minimum age requirement as defined by the Social Security Administration.

We also offer this rate to active and retired military no matter what their age may be.

AARP recognizes seniors at 50. So that’s would be my baseline

Most private clubs put the age for playing in senior events at 50 or 55, as do most state golf amateur organizations. At age 52, I’m excited to be moving to a club in June where it’s age 50 from a club where it’s 55. Since I’m retiring in a couple months, I’ll be able to play in the weekly men’s club and also the senior men’s club events alongside a couple buddies I’ve been friends with for 30 years.

I’m hoping to not have any need to move up to the regular men’s tees for another decade. Right now I’m very comfortable at 6800 yards.

Last edited:
I hit 50 back at the end of last year. At my course I now qualify for the Senior Men's Championship. My problem now is those guys get to play a hell of a lot more than me.

Things are kind of all over the board at my course. You get a senior membership discount at 55 (2 more years until I qualify) but do not qualify to play the senior tees in tournaments until age 65. I am fine with that though.

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas doesn't give a Senior discount until 90. It is a retirement community. I am 65, and most of the games/ leagues play from the Senior tees. I don't play in many because of this. The courses are spectacular championship layouts. Playing from the golds make them more like 5000 munis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our little home course says gold tees for seniors, (50 and above). I play with 2 older guys 63 &69 and both of them can regularly play the white tees in the summer but always move up in the winter.
The "Old mans group" as they call them play every day, they allow anyone 50 and older.

A "Senior" is anybody two or more years older than I am when you ask me.

Seniors get meal discounts at restaurants

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If we're talking about how I feel when I hit the driving range after about a 2 month hiatus, then the answer would be 45. Holy smokes, two large buckets will kick your ass after that long!

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas doesn't give a Senior discount until 90. It is a retirement community. I am 65, and most of the games/ leagues play from the Senior tees. I don't play in many because of this. The courses are spectacular championship layouts. Playing from the golds make them more like 5000 munis

Looking forward to playing those courses in Hot Springs Village, Ar. in a couple of weeks.
At my club in Mn. we have a Seniors League on Thursday morning. 50 to 60 yrs play the Blue tees, 60 to 65 yrs play the White tees. 65 to 75 yrs play the Yellow tees. And 75+ yrs. play the
Reds

Looking forward to playing those courses in Hot Springs Village, Ar. in a couple of weeks.
At my club in Mn. we have a Seniors League on Thursday morning. 50 to 60 yrs play the Blue tees, 60 to 65 yrs play the White tees. 65 to 75 yrs play the Yellow tees. And 75+ yrs. play the
Reds

You should not be playing reds my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed an inconsistency in the definition of the term "senior". The PGA says a senior is a player over 50, but I have seen different contests that do not confer senior status on a player unless, in some cases, the player is as old as 70!! I have also seen ages of 60, 65 used. So then, is there no standardized minimum age to be considered a senior player? If so, why don't various clubs honor it? Or are individual clubs at liberty to make it whatever they wish?
based on when they start sending you solicitations it's about 45 to the AARP.

Reds

I am retiring there next month, building a house, and going to try to wear the grooves off my clubs

I am retiring there next month, building a house, and going to try to wear the grooves off my clubs

We should get together.

I won my club championship 10 times, the last at age 47. I thought I would roast everyone when I turned 50 and became a senior for local tournaments, but instead found I had zero interest in playing the forward tees. Instead, I didn't play many local events after that. I tied for my club championship at age 54, but lost on the fifth hole of sudden death. And at 57, I lipped out a 45 footer for a tie, losing the championship by 1. Now at 64 and after replacing both hips, I still play the regular men's tees when I play. I know the golds would get me to where I used to drive it, but I can live with a couple more clubs into the green - definitely increases the challenge to not have mostly wedges in.

And Georgia State Ass'n senior age is 55.

Minnesota Golf Association considers 55 and older a senior.

Id say that the term, "senior" is certainly open to interpretation. By no means do I consider 50 to be a senior, even though the PGA Tour does. Beyond that, its really open to each course and tournament organizer to do whatever they want.

Back