emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie I was curious if setting wrist hinge should be set early in the backswing say around hip high or not? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to an early or late wrist hinge in the backswing?

Wrist hinge

I'm not a big proponent of the wrist hinge but if you do have to have to set the wrist, it would take place between the right knee in the right hip. As the right arm begins to fold the left thumb goes into a hitchhike mode and that's all the wrist hinge you'll need

I'm not a big proponent of the wrist hinge but if you do have to have to set the wrist, it would take place between the right knee in the right hip. As the right arm begins to fold the left thumb goes into a hitchhike mode and that's all the wrist hinge you'll need

Thanks...are you more of the belief in a natural wrist hinge once the club/swing reaches the top of backswing?

Thanks...are you more of the belief in a natural wrist hinge once the club/swing reaches the top of backswing?

That is correct, natural hinge occurs in the swing.

That is correct, natural hinge occurs in the swing.

Been something I have been wondering about as I have seen videos that encourage it early in the swing as did a previous instructor.

The instructor I was seeing in the spring/early summer was comparing portions of our swing and pointed out he set early where I set late. He didnt have an issue with it, but it had me curious and was wondering if it provided any advantage.

Been something I have been wondering about as I have seen videos that encourage it early in the swing as did a previous instructor.

The instructor I was seeing in the spring/early summer was comparing portions of our swing and pointed out he set early where I set late. He didnt have an issue with it, but it had me curious and was wondering if it provided any advantage.

Sometimes people will bring the club far to the inside as they turn back and get in some ugly positions from there, and sometimes a wrist set by about hip height helps keep the club out in front of them longer. It's one of those case by case things and if it works, great. If not, great.

Sometimes people will bring the club far to the inside as they turn back and get in some ugly positions from there, and sometimes a wrist set by about hip height helps keep the club out in front of them longer. It's one of those case by case things and if it works, great. If not, great.

that is a move I battled early this year. Instructor had me work on a more straight back takeaway similar to what Freddie talked about in previous threads with the first 18".

My instructor wanted me to work on a wrist hinge by hip height to help me stop overswinging. I had always had problems with a conscious wrist hinge so I never used one, I just let my hands set naturally but I was swinging way too long and armsy, coming up out of my posture (something Freddie had pointed out too). Once I got used to it, my iron striking got a lot better since I wasn't overcompensating for this giant messy "kill the ball" swing.

Freddie I was curious if setting wrist hinge should be set early in the backswing say around hip high or not? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to an early or late wrist hinge in the backswing?

No. Just take the club back and don't worry about it. Here's another fallacy, the wrist naturally hinge. Hold the club straight out in front of you with just your left arm. Did your left wrist naturally hinge? I would wager it's about a 99.9% chance it didn't.

The wrist hinge is mechanical, not natural. As your right arm folds in the backswing its radius shortens pulling in your right hand causing your left wrist to hinge. This is why I told you to just take the club back and don't worry about it, the folding right arm will do all the hinge work.

In the downswing you have two options; 1) let centrifugal force unhinge your wrist (I use that term only for its usefulness) or 2) deliberately unhinge your wrist by straightening your right arm at any chosen point along your downswing.

Back