Blade or Mallet? Why?

I prefer using the mallets but I do love the looks of a purdy blade!

Blade because for some reason it makes me concentrate better and not hammer the putt as bad.

Tried both but I seem to be having more success with the blade putter currently in my bag than I did with the mallet prior to it, so it would have to be blade at the moment

Having said that, I did like the feel of a couple of Odyssey putters when I tried them a little while ago in a store so I don't think I truly have an answer one way or the other yet

Currently gaming a #1W so i guess a blade,but with a bit more mass behind it.

Blade because it helps me make more putts. I'm very right eye dominant, love Anser styled putters.

I used to be a blade guy for years and years.
Then I picked up a Monza Spider one day in the local golf shop and stroked a couple of putts with it.
I bought it right then and there and have been a mallet guy for almost 10 years now.
I have tried a lot of putters over the last 10 years, but I always go back to the mallet.
My current gamer (TM Ghost Spider) hasn't been pushed from the bag in over 4 years now.
The mallet size and weight just really fit my eye and I really feel confident with it in my hands.

I would have sworn I'm a mallet guy, but have been on the verge of a break-through the last couple of rounds with a blade, though it does have slightly more chunky lines than others.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I was all about the blade, then I tried a mid mallet, and I haven't looked back since.

Moved back to blade/newport 2 from Daddy Long Legs mallet. I found the speed consistency with the larger head just too hard to get used to particularly over long distances. Blade just gives me the feeling of more control and that I can make it do what I want.

Always been a mallet guy. I like the size and alignment Aids

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to be mallet. Blade now that I do spot putting. Just looks clean.

Blade when I started golfing.
I tried the Odyssey #7 two years ago - mallet ever since. I prefer mid mallets. I cannot putt worth a damn with a blade now.

Currently using a blade putter. Had used a custom built mallet putter before. Looking for the right mallet putter that suits my game. Would love to have a mallet putter as long as it works for me.

After a few years of using a blade and sometimes having great success my putting deteriorated over the last 6 months and I had tinkered with stance, grips and stroke and it just got worse. I love putting but my confidence fell through the floor and I missed shortish putts and made too many 3 putts. Last week I finally caved in and bought a mallet putter having tested it out in store. It's a TM Corza 72 Ghost Tour and it feels fantastic. In the store I rolled putts in and felt keeping it square was much easier along with alignment. I will test out this weekend on the course.

I also bought a putting alignment mirror and realised my eyes were too much inside the ball causing a large arcing stroke which needed great timing to get a square face on impact. My alignment was also flawed as a result. Now I am more over the ball and my stroke is very close to SBST with maybe a very slight arc and I am better with starting putts on line.

I still love the look and clean lines of a classic blade putter but I care more about rolling and making putts. I love my scorecard the most!

Last edited:
Definitely more blade style here. At most I will game a mid mallet #9. Currently refinishing an old Anser with sound slot from back in the day. Can't wait to give that one a go.

I have to use a blade because with a mallet I just can't get the speed right. I have tried several different mallet putters and it does help me some with my line, but for the life of me I can't get the speed right.

Blade is my preference. Suits my eye best.

Blade, face balanced or almost face balanced, with grooves because I like using it off the green and in shallow bunkers.

I like all my clubs, especially the putter, to be as neat and simple looking as possible.

When I putt, it's just a ball with a line, and a blade with a line, and I make the lines meet.

Blades because it's a simple, visual thing for me.

I recently switched from blade to a mid mallet with 3 alignment lines. I went to a local PGA prof and decided to get fit. He showed me on 3 different putters that I was actually addressing the ball to the right 3 to 4 inches with the blade or single alignment lines. Switched to the mallet with 3 lines and my alignment at address was dead on. I was shocked. He had me get set and he put an alignment stick off of the putter in line with my setup. It was clear to see.

I am a mallet guy.....I have tried a blade, but a face balanced mallet is just more stable for me in the backswing.

At this point I really don't know. I currently have a face balanced mallet and my putting hasn't been very good. I had my instructor take a look at my stroke and he told me I have a slight arc putting stroke. He said he is a believer that you can use an arc stroke with a face balanced putter but also said that a putter with a toe balance would probably be a little better for me. I've been messing around with some blades at different stores and I seem to start the ball on my intended line a lot better.

I use a blade putter. I like the blade and feel of it in my stroke better than a mallet. The blade also looks better at address to me. I've tried a number 7 and it's just not the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this point I really don't know. I currently have a face balanced mallet and my putting hasn't been very good. I had my instructor take a look at my stroke and he told me I have a slight arc putting stroke. He said he is a believer that you can use an arc stroke with a face balanced putter but also said that a putter with a toe balance would probably be a little better for me. I've been messing around with some blades at different stores and I seem to start the ball on my intended line a lot better.

Try hitting the ball a little towards the toe.

Blade all day. Ive tried various mallets and struggle with my distance control with them. Call it, "feel", call it whatever you want, mallets just dont work for me.

Have both but use the mallet 99% of the time. Seem to have more control on the take away and follow through.

Back