Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Review Thread

Another good round today with the Pros 39 /42, love these clubs. Had a lot of Birdie looks but the Putter stayed cold all day burning edges and lip outs. I took my own advice and focused on the spot were the club and ball make contact (staying in the shot) and really hit some beautiful iron shots. The feel with the 110 recoils is just so pure and effortless, solid contact results in high straight shots that drop and stop and very little post round pain in the joints.

As our brothers make their way to an event of a lifetime. I'm excited to see how many end up gaming the Pros.

I really don't think there are any drawbacks to these sticks, maybe some distance lose to some but I have not seen any huge lose from the Bridgestone J15DF I was gaming and they were the longest clubs I have had in recent times, the more I play the Pros the closer they are getting to the DF's.

At this point they are maybe half a club shorter to me on solid center face contact.

It took me a few rounds but I finally really like mine. Played the j15cb and 716cb most recently and the Apex pro I like just a little better.

As our brothers make their way to an event of a lifetime. I'm excited to see how many end up gaming the Pros.

This is my number 1 question I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me a few rounds but I finally really like mine. Played the j15cb and 716cb most recently and the Apex pro I like just a little better.

I currently have the j15 cb's & trying to decide between the pro's or the cf 16's. Do you find these are as easy to hit as the j15's?

I had the J15DF and only hit a few balls with the CB but the Pros are no harder to hit IMO, square contact gets you nice high flight and for me generally straight or slight draw just depends on the swing that day (a miss is a miss and you get what you put into it swing wise). But you really have to hit them and get the right shaft for you.

Thanks for the reply

I currently have the j15 cb's & trying to decide between the pro's or the cf 16's. Do you find these are as easy to hit as the j15's?

I think the Apex pros are just as easy to hit. Sole is a little more narrow, so you don't get as much help if you hit it fat.

have you hit both the apex pro and apex cf 16? i hit both against my j15 df, and the cf 16 was hands down the winner among the bunch. this is coming from someone who loathes thick toplines and shovels behind the ball. i was shocked at how much i enjoyed these, and how incredibly consistent i was. i hit 3 balls with the pro and went back to the cf 16. i didn't like the finish on the pro, i didn't like the feel of the pro throughout the swing, and on and on. i fully expected to love the pro and be "too good of a ball-striker" to like the cf 16, but boy was i wrong. and seeing the 100% cf 16 fitting rate at the grandaddy for golfers of a wide range of skill solidifies just how excellent these clubs are.

I hit these well, they feel phenomenal, but because they are true players iron designs intended to meet the needs of their tour staff, they spun a but much for me and accentuated my miss. I gained 16 yards going from this 7i to the cf16 7i on trackman.

These irons are hard to describe. They just flat out get it done. The cup face is legit and the overall head design and technology is amazing. I loved the OG Apex and wondered how they could improve and they have. When my 7i is now my 170 club that's saying something.

I'm looking forward to keep dropping my thoughts in here. I didn't think anything would kick my Z545's out and these have. (And that's not just #TheGrandaddy talk)

These irons are hard to describe. They just flat out get it done. The cup face is legit and the overall head design and technology is amazing. I loved the OG Apex and wondered how they could improve and they have. When my 7i is now my 170 club that's saying something.

I'm looking forward to keep dropping my thoughts in here. I didn't think anything would kick my Z545's out and these have. (And that's not just #TheGrandaddy talk)
Psssst, Mike, this is the Apex Pro thread. :alien:

Still applies!
It was fun asking them why the cup face didn't make it to these irons. The fact that it just makes them too long for their tour staff is a pretty big bit of awesome when it comes to the fact that the cup face tech DOES work and works well.

Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Preview

have you hit both the apex pro and apex cf 16? i hit both against my j15 df, and the cf 16 was hands down the winner among the bunch. this is coming from someone who loathes thick toplines and shovels behind the ball. i was shocked at how much i enjoyed these, and how incredibly consistent i was. i hit 3 balls with the pro and went back to the cf 16. i didn't like the finish on the pro, i didn't like the feel of the pro throughout the swing, and on and on. i fully expected to love the pro and be "too good of a ball-striker" to like the cf 16, but boy was i wrong. and seeing the 100% cf 16 fitting rate at the grandaddy for golfers of a wide range of skill solidifies just how excellent these clubs are.

Thanks for the great info, I hit the pro's but not the cf and after reading all the great things about the cf 16's I will definitely be trying them. I will take my j15 CB 7 iron to compare against both. Unfortunately I won't be able to hit them all with the same shaft.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info, I hit the pro's but not the cf and after reading all the great things about the cf 16's I will definitely be trying them. I will take my j15 CB 7 iron to compare against both. Unfortunately I won't be able to hit them all with the same shaft.

you got it! when I hit the two, I hit them against my sticks with a different shaft as well. I picked up about 10y with the cf 16. I don't necessarily care about the extra distance, I more care about dispersion and forgiveness, both of which the cf 16 had in spades.

I hit these well, they feel phenomenal, but because they are true players iron designs intended to meet the needs of their tour staff, they spun a but much for me and accentuated my miss. I gained 16 yards going from this 7i to the cf16 7i on trackman.
That's a huge jump, 16 yards is a lot!

It was fun asking them why the cup face didn't make it to these irons. The fact that it just makes them too long for their tour staff is a pretty big bit of awesome when it comes to the fact that the cup face tech DOES work and works well.

Yep. I will admit personally that a part of me loved hitting nuclear irons but I love the point and shoot nature of these clubs.

8, 9, and pw on the way as part of a combo set with cf 16. Will be adding thoughts here once in hand

8, 9, and pw on the way as part of a combo set with cf 16. Will be adding thoughts here once in hand

The set AW is a fun club also.

How big of difference are people seeing between these and their old clubs? And what was your old club?

Did the spin make your shots balloon? Or did you just see it in your misses?

How big of difference are people seeing between these and their old clubs? And what was your old club?

Great question Freddie. Also, tighter dispersion? more playable misses?

It's about time Kang!

Back