Shell's Wonderful World of Golf

Chase

Pro V1 Kenobi
Reaction score
Handicap
Going up
Anyone watch the old matches airing on GC? I am loving the Golf Channel's showing of some of the old matches. I really enjoy watching some of the greats playing in their prime. I wonder how Speith would have faired playing against Snead? Or Hogan? Or Nicklaus? Or Tiger or Phil for that matter.

I just set the DVR to record. I like watching the one on YouTube from pine valley

Was watching Palmer/Nicklaus when the storms decided we did not really need power tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! I watch them on youtube tv and can't get enough of em. I'll admit to loving the HD aspect of modern golf broadcast but, there is a real analog warmth feel to those Shell's Wonderful World of Golf broadcasts that draws me in. Watched a two with Fred Couples recently that were a lot of fun.

i actually attended one when Greg Norman's Course "The Medalist" opened up they filmed him vs. Nick Price, even got on TV a couple times

Just started watching. Kind of fun to watch. Would be cool if they did this again today

So so love the old matches from these. I bought a gentlemans collection off of eBay that is all VHS tapes and a few Beta. Old way to watch these , but the collection of matches are just priceless. Watching Ben Hogan hit all 18 greens versus Snead is one of my favorite. And the Watson versus Irwin was a solid one too

Enjoy these more than watching regular tourney golf. Infact i would probably turn off current events to catch or black and white tourneys any time is possible

I watched one last night and DVR'd a couple more overnight. Love the series.

I am watching them right now. So cool to watch the greats play.

I'm watching them now. I couldn't help but think about how spoiled the modern golf pro is compared to these guys. The greens are worse than a modern municipal course to putt on, there's bare spots all over, even right up to the fringe. I just watched Palmer putt off of the dirt beside the green. With all of the complaints about the greens at Chambers Bay, can you imagine if they had to play on these courses?

My favorite is Gene Littler vs. Byron Nelson at Pine Valley. Their swings were timeless. Littler, in my humble opinion, had the nicest, simplest golf swing ever. Fun to watch all of them, except it being Christmas I'll get to watch only a few - family trumps golf anytime!

Wow watching Sam Sneeds putting at congressional. Don't see anyone put like that these days.

Anyone else notice the courses are not beautifully green and manicured like today's courses? Bunkers are rough and greens are slow. I just saw Player and Thompson hit drivers (very windy) on a 215 yard Par 3. Fun to watch.

Wow watching Sam Sneeds putting at congressional. Don't see anyone put like that these days.
Yeah that kinda blew my mind.

Anyone else notice the courses are not beautifully green and manicured like today's courses? Bunkers are rough and greens are slow. I just saw Player and Thompson hit drivers (very windy) on a 215 yard Par 3. Fun to watch.
The greens are higher than most fairways at high end places. I can't imagine even coming close on those bumpy things.

Watching the one now with Byron Nelson and gene littler. Amazing how much the game has changed and the advancements in technology are amazing.
Why are these matches stroke play and not match play?

Watching the one now with Byron Nelson and gene littler. Amazing how much the game has changed and the advancements in technology are amazing.
Why are these matches stroke play and not match play?

I think they want to get all 18 holes in on their telecasts.

I think they want to get all 18 holes in on their telecasts.

Ok that was my thought too but wanted to ask. Thanks for the reply!

These matches are awesome to watch, good way to spend my day before I go to work tonight since the rest of my family is not here today.

When the Couples-Mickelson match comes on at 3 PM, watch how much Mickelson talks about how far he's driving the "new ball" that he's playing. Turns out he was playing the very first version of the Pro V1 in that match and seeing huge distance gains over the old wound balls. That was a harbinger of things to come in the professional game.

These matches are awesome to watch, good way to spend my day before I go to work tonight since the rest of my family is not here today.

When the Couples-Mickelson match comes on at 3 PM, watch how much Mickelson talks about how far he's driving the "new ball" that he's playing. Turns out he was playing the very first version of the Pro V1 in that match and seeing huge distance gains over the old wound balls. That was a harbinger of things to come in the professional game.

Great info. I'll have to catch that.

I really enjoy watching these Shell matches as well as the old "Big Three" telecasts with Arnie, Jack and Gary. In addition to the greens the big thing I notice is the smaller amount of roll they used to get on drives compared to the long roll outs on the hard and fast fairways we see the pros play on these days.

I just love watching these because of the era . Why I still use old gear occasionally , really takes me back to a fun era

I hope i make it back in time for this match!

Every time Jack stands over the ball, I can feel gray hairs growing :banghead:

When the Couples-Mickelson match comes on at 3 PM, watch how much Mickelson talks about how far he's driving the "new ball" that he's playing.
I'm watching this one now and it's not even fair how far he hit the ball.

I'm watching this one now and it's not even fair how far he hit the ball.

Seriously. Freddie was one of the longest players in his heyday, and he wasn't in the same ballpark as Phil in this match.

Back