Together We Change - 2016 Golf Goals

Stop being hacker and become a solid mid 90 shooter

my goals for 2016

1) get below 200 pounds
2) handicap to under 15
3) break 85 on my home course (shorter and par 71)
4) Break 90 on the other courses I play
5)Get in 100 rounds of golf and walk for a majority of them
6) Practice 2-3 times a week on top of playing. I really want to focus on short game & Putting
7) 70% FIR, 50% GIR, and under 32 putts
8) Play in a couple THP events and join a mens league or tournament locally

I am retired so I will play more golf in 2016. I would like to break 80 but more importantly to have more FUN this year. I want to play in at least one THP event. Making it to the Granddaddy would be No.1 on the list!

2016 Golf Goals

• Do NOT waste energy on things outside my control
  • Create an intention for every shot & commit to it fully
  • Make an Honest Risk/Reward assessment for each shot
  • Develop a happy or neutral reaction to every shot
  • Trust my swing - refine balance, alignment & tempo Only
  • Practice with a Purpose
  • Make my pitching/chipping, 75 yds and in, a strength

2016 Golf Goals

• Do NOT waste energy on things outside my control
  • Create an intention for every shot & commit to it fully
  • Make an Honest Risk/Reward assessment for each shot
  • Develop a happy or neutral reaction to every shot
  • Trust my swing - refine balance, alignment & tempo Only
  • Practice with a Purpose
  • Make my pitching/chipping, 75 yds and in, a strength

Those are all great, but I'm particularly a fan of #1 - in golf and in life!

Last edited:
Goals:

Get to single digit cap
Break 80
Play at least 50 rounds
Get into THP event

How:

Get GIR to 50% by sharpening iron game and hitting 75% fairways
Improve putting 5-10'
Get average number of shots from inside 30 yards to 2.6 by getting more first shots to inside 10'
Play more
Enter as many contest for events as meet schedule

I have just one goal - have fun. It's easy to get in a rut and PO'd when the your drive just went OB, but taking a step back and just trying to have fun and enjoy the green grass and breeze is a much better use of my limited recreation time.

Dave

Travelling sub-5.

Its time to stop getting by on the fact that I'm athletic and can play streaky golf because of that alone. This means back to lessons, will be finding a new instructor somewhere, as well as actually spending time on the range/short-game area working on things and not just hitting balls.

I should be much better than I am. I believe that.

Travelling sub-5.

Its time to stop getting by on the fact that I'm athletic and can play streaky golf because of that alone. This means back to lessons, will be finding a new instructor somewhere, as well as actually spending time on the range/short-game area working on things and not just hitting balls.

wave a little pocket watch in front of your eye balls and sort it out.

You're better than you know.

wave a little pocket watch in front of your eye balls and sort it out.

You're better than you know.

Working on it.

I plan on kicking The Oasis' ass this year.

Travelling sub-5.

I like this James, a lot....get after it brother

Aside from an overall game improvement, there are two targets for 2016.. And I think both will be difficult.

1 - I want to get a lot better on bermuda greens. They freak me out, and especially with how successful I've been on bentgrass, I think it's time to sort it out for reals. That probably means a couple weekend trips that involve a TON of green time.

2 - Sixties with a Smile. The last time I really dedicated myself to the game, I got really intense later on into rounds that were going well. I'd much rather just enjoy any success I have with a big smile on my face. Not sweating the small stuff, staying committed to the shots but doing so with ease.

You guys are making me rethink my vague and relatively simple response from days ago.

You guys are making me rethink my vague and relatively simple response from days ago.

As you should be reconsidering. I'll say it every time it's relevant.. You have one of the best swings I've ever seen away from television.

Its time to stop getting by on the fact that I'm athletic and can play streaky golf because of that alone...

I finally admitted this to myself at the beginning of last year and practice was on the 2015 goal list, but rehab got in the way for the spring and summer and I just wanted to play as much as I could for the rest of the year.

Realistic goals for 2016
1. Practice 2x/week in season (including the bunker) which will help me:
-get my FIR to 50% and GIR to 40% and
-reduce my putts from 32.7 to <31 so that I can
-break 80 more than 3 times and
-get my index to single digits again (for more than a month)

2. Play 36 more often

3. Play a course at 7000+ yards just for fun (unless the renovations changed one of our county courses too much, this should be easy)

4. Play in 11 new states this year to get my total to 25 (I love seeing that others have goals of playing in new states too!)

5. Play 100 rounds

Fortunate/lofty goals for 2016
1. Make an eagle

2. Win a HoF tag

3. Improve my streak of rounds with a birdie to >5

4. Finish 18 holes in par

As you should be reconsidering. I'll say it every time it's relevant.. You have one of the best swings I've ever seen away from television.
I honestly have no idea what it should be or look like....so I need some time to really think it out. Matt tells me I'm not getting any younger....

I honestly have no idea what it should be or look like....so I need some time to really think it out. Matt tells me I'm not getting any younger....

You don't need to. Tempo and timing will always outweigh power. Smooth like Freddy C.

I finally admitted this to myself at the beginning of last year and practice was on the 2015 goal list, but rehab got in the way for the spring and summer and I just wanted to play as much as I could for the rest of the year.

Realistic goals for 2016
1. Practice 2x/week in season (including the bunker) which will help me:
-get my FIR to 50% and GIR to 40% and
-reduce my putts from 32.7 to <31 so that I can
-break 80 more than 3 times and
-get my index to single digits again (for more than a month)

2. Play 36 more often

3. Play a course at 7000+ yards just for fun (unless the renovations changed one of our county courses too much, this should be easy)

4. Play in 11 new states this year to get my total to 25 (I love seeing that others have goals of playing in new states too!)

5. Play 100 rounds

Fortunate/lofty goals for 2016
1. Make an eagle

2. Win a HoF tag

3. Improve my streak of rounds with a birdie to >5

4. Finish 18 holes in par

Don't worry about your putts per round, worry about your practice with a putter. The number changes naturally as your confidence and consistency improve.

Commit to the practice green. On it and around it. Seriously. Don't spend a ton of time in the bunker, but rather, focus on one really trustworthy move and commit to it every time you're in a greenside bunker. Take the guesswork out!

I love the idea of playing in a bunch of States. That's a really cool goal.

Don't worry about your putts per round, worry about your practice with a putter. The number changes naturally as your confidence and consistency improve.

That makes complete sense. Maybe I should have made it more specific and said eliminate the oh-my-god-I-hit-that-way-too-hard 3-putt and one or two of the times when I leave it dead in the center, but 8 inches short.

Commit to the practice green. On it and around it. Seriously. Don't spend a ton of time in the bunker, but rather, focus on one really trustworthy move and commit to it every time you're in a greenside bunker. Take the guesswork out!

I'm so far away from being confident in a greenside bunker like I used to be. I just need to find that shot again. I know my problem..I just need to get in there and fix it!

I love the idea of playing in a bunch of States. That's a really cool goal.

I have to give Philly Golf Guy 100% of the credit for the idea.

You don't need to. Tempo and timing will always outweigh power. Smooth like Freddy C.
I think we both know that's not where the issue lies....

I think we both know that's not where the issue lies....

We absolutely do. That's why if I were you, I'd never go for anything. Hit to 150. Hit the middle of the green, and give the putt a run. Every.Single.Time.

Kang's 2016 goals:

1 - Hit the ball, don't try to explode the ball
2 - watch handicap plummet
I'm well on my way lol. It's a VERY tough instinct to break. The golf ball and I must have been arch nemesis in a past life

Back