Which of the new rules do you think is best or worse for the recreational golfer in 2

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I was reading the tweet from Golf Digest about the new rules coming in 2019. I remember this was kinda discussed, but not sure. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/wh...w-rules-of-golf/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Myself, I like the flagstick in during putts the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8807b638236e408715ab11d0e879b610.png

Last edited:
The lost ball/OB rule is my personal favorite. Lets be honest, most of us are already doing that.

The lost ball/OB rule is my personal favorite. Lets be honest, most of us are already doing that.

I like the rule changes. I have been arguing that there should 2 sets of rules, 1 for amateurs and 1 for the Pro's.
I am all for making it easier for Amateurs to enjoy the game.

I like the OB, Flag stick and the Bunker changes.

Which of the new rules do you think is best or worse for the recreational golfer in 2

Heck, my group does this without taking two strokes. Can’t find the ball. Take ONE stroke and hit from there. Now, we can go right to the fairway.

Hmmmm, after all these years we can finally tap down spike marks on the green in our putting line. More players, Pro's and the rest of us, wear spike less golf shoes. Way too late for this change.

Definitely like the new penalty area rule the best. Our bunkers, which contain very little actual sand, have a ton of small rocks in them. I currently move them to save my clubs during casual rounds but, obviously, not during competitive rounds. Will probably still hover the club in the bunker because that is what I have always done and don't know how I would hit the ball with it being grounded at address.

I love the penalty area and flag stick rule. I don't care for the spike rule, will make slow players even slower on the greens.

Heck, my group does this without taking two strokes. Can’t find the ball. Take ONE stroke and hit from there. Now, we can go right to the fairway.

You're correct, most people do that. When they lose a ball or hit one OB, they drop one and take 1 stroke. With the new local rule, that won't change. Most people will find where they thought the ball was lost or OB, will go to the edge of the fairway drop and take 1 stroke, despite the fact the new local rule says 2 strokes.

People really don't like what applying penalties correctly does to their score.

FYI - the graphic is out-of-date. Drops will be from knee height, not any distance.

It will be interesting to see how the flagstick, lost ball and grounding rules help with handicap.

I lose a ball or two a round. So, now I can simply put my ball in the fairway, take two strokes, and hit again. Versus going back to tee hitting three and hoping I hit a good shot.

For the flagstick, Dave Peltz, was a huge proponent saying always leave the flagstick in to get a competitive advantage.

I am not too sure about how grounding will help, but it sure doesn’t hurt being able to get a feel.
1b04e1e7711cddec0048d17ed03414f8.png

FYI - the graphic is out-of-date. Drops will be from knee height, not any distance.

I always thought that is a bad rule. I am 5’6”, but my brother in law is 6’6”. My shoulder height was much different. I get a distinct advantage when dropping lower. One of the few times being a smaller guy gives an advantage. ?

Penalty area rule is one a lot of people are already doing, so that's good. I think another good one is the repairing cleat marks on the greens.

I like them all.

I think grounding clubs in a bunker is a huge change for amateurs. That makes that shot so much easier.

I think grounding clubs in a bunker is a huge change for amateurs. That makes that shot so much easier.

You still cannot ground your club behind on in front of the ball, or touch the sand on the backswing. It's just that if you're walking into the bunker and accidentally touch the sand, it's no longer a penalty.

Just don't play a provisional, think that takes away the option

Generally speaking, I like the set of rules that will speed up the pace of play. The changes to stroke and distance are appreciated. In competition, there is nothing worse than the tee shot the player thought was inbounds only to get to the ball and find otherwise. That is a LONG walk back to the tee--both for the player and everyone behind them.

The walk of shame sucks, been there.

I'm ok with all of the changes. My biggest question isn't about the new Rules but the new World Handicap System that goes into effect in January 2020. I'm curious as to how this weather adjustment is going to be applied. Originally there was talk about average scores for the day in adverse weather compared to those in good or typical weather (whatever that is) and how a score is related to that or something. I find that weird in that the golfers that play at a daily fee course / public course can be a totally different caliber of golfer from one day to the next and does anyone think that the cards turned in for any calculation would be anywhere near the number that go out an play on that day. Now I see this: New system: An algorithm will account for adverse weather and course conditions Really doesn't give any details. I'm very curious as to how it is going to work. Since I don't travel outside the U.S. for golf a "world handicap" for me is really meaningless.

Count me in as very curious how the weather adjustment will work.

Just don't play a provisional, think that takes away the option

honestly with the new rule, they really should eliminate the provisional ball. Ther si just no sense to a provisional anymore. And its kind of a gray area imo. You see.... if one hits an errant shot lets say it only goes about 100 yrds before entering the woods. Now we are technically suppose to play the original ball if found under the old rule. But now that one can drop on the edge of fairway near the area the ball went in (with a 2stroke penalty) doesnt that sort of eliminate the ball not being found? I mean one can hit that said shot but then hit a provisional that pwrhaps goes 250. yes I know still htting 4 aterwards but just saying...its a gray area. In lght of the new rule why not just eliminate the provisional? many amatuers can just hit a bad provisinal also and so imo just make the rule "no provisional" then drop in fw near area of wooded entry and hit 4 from there. Especiall since done for pace and practicality anyway.

im liking mst of it all. But it does leabe some Q's like noted above. Also i think (as ive mentioned on other threads) the pin rule should just change to an always in rule. Sorrry to you purists but it just makes sense. It is just one less thing to concern ourslevs with. Greens play is already the top of the list as for pace issues so why not just leave the pin be and not deal with it all? Imo it will also create argulents as some people will prefer the pin in ans honestly they would have a right to do so and they would not be wrong for requesting it. besids its already been proven it helps more than it hurts. as for the traditional purists? trust me...in a very short time it will seem like its always been the norm.

I think the searh rule should be even shorter and be at 2 minutes. I also feel (as relates to the 2 stroke drop in place of the S&D rule for a lost ball) something else should be considered. I feel if it is confidentally known the ball is in a place where it would farily easily be found then the penalty should be dropped to one stroke. Reason being is that plenty times a ball may simply be in the rough but not easy to see. Just think how many balls we find often enough sitting in the rough not far from the fairway. Another area that may be a tad more dispersed but still an area that is fairly wide open like perhaps under a tree canopy between two holes where the brush is clear and is not at all heaviy wooded nor filled with vegitation. Here again is a place the ball shpuld be found reletively easy but can also be easiy just over looked. My logic here is that the pros can be putght errant and way off base worse than these two scenarios and yet thier ball is almost away found for them before they even lleave the tee box. Yet we can hit a ball not even close to as poorly off target and in a fairly open area and easily lose it just because we dont have the advantage of tv cameras and 100 peircing eyes watching. They are in deep trouuble and dont even lose anything but we are in pretty good shape and have to take 2 strokes? Just eevrything imo is wrong with that picture.

Different of course if we hit it ourtight errant into heavy wooded areas or whtever, then yes we desrve the 2 strokes but just hit to a place that is open and not such a bad play? its just not right imo. They should just make it the one stroke and we can even argue (depending we we are confident it flew) that often it would be found if we had even half the same advantages.

That graphic must be old because it doesn't address the OB situation. I guess I like the flagstick rule change. Won't make a difference to me at all, but I'm sure it will some people.

That graphic must be old because it doesn't address the OB situation. I guess I like the flagstick rule change. Won't make a difference to me at all, but I'm sure it will some people.

I see that one being very problematic with traditionalists and also the "masters" putting crowd.

I see that one being very problematic with traditionalists and also the "masters" putting crowd.

It will be interesting to see if you will have some wanting to have the pin in and others out within the same foursome. I could see pulling the pin for one person, then back in for the next, then out again as players go back in forth. That could be more problematic than necessary.

Last edited:
Back