Putting using only one hand

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I'm sure you all have putted many times using only one hand but my question is, how good are you at making one-handed putts? I found out that I am less likely to miss a 5 ft or shorter putt when I use only one hand than if I were to use both hands, and am pretty good at making longer putts using one hand.

This is a thread for @Doddly5687 for sure. Dude is probably the best Ive ever seen putting one handed

This is a thread for @Doddly5687 for sure. Dude is probably the best Ive ever seen putting one handed

I always felt like putting one handed promoted a natural toe open to close type swing plane for the putter, when so many stances and grips force an ugly modified straight back and through with two hands. I guarantee I'm at least AS good as I am two handed if not better

I always felt like putting one handed promoted a natural toe open to close type swing plane for the putter, when so many stances and grips force an ugly modified straight back and through with two hands. I guarantee I'm at least AS good as I am two handed if not better

So I have heard. It's easier to mess a putt up when you have to get both hands working in agreement with one another. The pendulum on a grandfather clocks swings perfectly using only one arm. Found that to be somewhat true in the putting motion as well.

Except the pendulum on a clock can’t open or close in most cases.

Except the pendulum on a clock can’t open or close in most cases.

And only has a single "joint" that it can move on. Your arm has far more.

One hand, two hands, no hands however you look at it I’m a terrible putter and will be working on it quite a bit this offseason with my puttout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty good putting with my left hand. Not so much for my right. I can make a lot of putts <10’. Get beyond that and I’m better 2 handed for sure.

My first question is....why?

My first question is....why?

The answer for me is found in the OP. I miss fewer putts of 5 ft or shorter when using one hand

The answer for me is found in the OP. I miss fewer putts of 5 ft or shorter when using one hand

I have to wonder if it's all up in the 8 inches between the ears. Nonetheless, glad you found something that worked for you.

If you talking about reaching over the hole with one hand and putting the ball in backwards, yeah I do it all the time and I make 95% of them :alien:

There was a guy in my league who putted one handed. Open stance to the hole, and a one handed stroke. He did ok with it.

If you talking about reaching over the hole with one hand and putting the ball in backwards, yeah I do it all the time and I make 95% of them :alien:

Just so long as you take the rest of them as being good, there can be no debate.... :)

Awful long reach to do that with a 5 ft putt

A friend of mine fell into putting one handed for almost 2 years.
While putting 2 handed, he was less than average at putting.
One round he got mad and said, I could probably do this well putting 1 handed.
So on the next putt, he drained a 15 footer with just his right hand.
He was sold....for about 2 years. He was a pretty good putter during that time from 20 feet and in.
Anything longer he had to go with 2 hands. Then all of a sudden after those 2 years, the 1 handed touch went away.
He couldn't make a 3 foot putt with 1 hand. He went back to 2 hands and stayed there. He's just about an average putter now.

ArtM and I have discussed this over the course of many rounds. I feel that I putt much better (especially on lag putts) than I do with 2 hands. A someone has said, open stance and right hand. Of course theminute you miss a 3 footer all you wuld hear is,"Probably would have made it using 2 hands". I know it would drive some of my New England friends crazy if I putted one handed, same as when I put with my wedge (I concentrste better with a wedge). I think with a one handed putt you are just more relaxed and not as tense so its just like rolling the ball in the hole vs trying to aim and steer and keep a straight line.. Don't be surprised if you see me on the course hitting them one handed!

Back