The Expansion of Club Champion

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Club Champion has been expanding at a rapid pace, so we wanted to get more information on the business model. We sat down at their headquarters with their CEO and talked all about expansion, franchising and so much more. If you like to learn about the business side of the industry, here is a fun video to jump into.

[video=youtube;3H-NP4PpP38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H-NP4PpP38[/video]

Any idea why they increased their charge to pure a shaft by 50%?

LOL...just kidding, don’t expect you to answer.

• Admin
Any idea why they increased their charge to pure a shaft by 50%?

LOL...just kidding, don’t expect you to answer.

Not related to this video, but I dont set their prices, but you can ask them directly at any store. Just about everything in golf has increased, including the cost of labor, so my gut tells me that that would be the reason for it.

I truly appreciate the idea behind not franchising. Consistency is key is a product like this.

But, man! I would seriously considering buying a franchise if it were an option.

Wow can't believe they are expanding at that rate. Not franchising is a smart move I think for consistency. I wonder what their fittings vs club sales ratio is. I think they provide a fantastic service but one complaint I always hear about CC is their club pricing.

• Admin
Wow can't believe they are expanding at that rate. Not franchising is a smart move I think for consistency. I wonder what their fittings vs club sales ratio is. I think they provide a fantastic service but one complaint I always hear about CC is their club pricing.

I thought the same thing. Its not sustainable, obviously, but they know that. Get to a certain amount and they have the areas covered I would believe.

I really enjoyed that video, and appreciate a company that elects not to franchise stores in order to keep consistency across each one they open.

Ok, so I watch the video and decide I need to look into Club Champion. I searched for locations near me and discover we have one here in San Antonio. I didn't know, I'm an idiot. I will be swinging by next week.

The consistency of their approach and philosophy should bode well for them in the long-term. Obviously expansion will slow with target market saturation, but a sound business plan should help them continue to prosper. I may never get to visit one of their facilities due to where I reside but do enjoy reading and watching videos about them and do like what I see and hear about their operations.

Good interview.
I think Club Champion is doing a good job of providing a fun experience for the customers.
From a business perspective, to serve the customers better (and help generate repeat customer business), adding swing technique instruction could make good sense. Maybe an alliance with the PGA of America would work well? For example, in each market where CC has stores 2 or 3 PGA members could be made available to teach CC customers swing technique, course management etc...

Last edited:
Their Boston store is a really great resource for me. I've found that once you're a customer you get some nice unwritten perks. For instance, a couple of months back I added a second hand hybrid to my bag and I was unsure about shaft choice. I dropped in without an appointment to chat, had my bag in the car, and after talking casually with my fitter he just threw me in the bay as we looked at the numbers with the club. They're so brand agnostic and go by the numbers so even though I was more than willing to throw down the cash for the Isawa hybrid shaft he said there was absolutely no need to change shafts based on the trackman data. That's a lost sale on their part but how you build rapport with customers over the long play.

Good interview, explaining their reasons for not franchising. 39 stores is a lot; glad to see premium fitting not being as niche and Club Champion taking advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you kindly. Joe is a really nice guy.

He certainly came across that way. There was also a lot of good info on a subject retailers may not always be willing to shed light on. I found it real interesting.

Do you know if there will be plans to expand outside the US? Seems unlikely, but worth asking.

Wishing they'd open a Vegas store.

He certainly came across that way. There was also a lot of good info on a subject retailers may not always be willing to shed light on. I found it real interesting.

Do you know if there will be plans to expand outside the US? Seems unlikely, but worth asking.

You know I don’t, but can certainly ask.

I love how they offer something that is not tied to brands. The fact they don't franchise is amazing. Probably the only fitting I think I would trust.

My only gripe with them is not offering stock shaft offerings during fittings. I know their belief is that real deal exotic shafts are the ticket but I tried several shafts when I gamed the Epic and nothing beat the T800 HZRDUS. I don’t see the need to pay high dollar for an exotic shaft if the stock option works best.

Think they’d do well in some of the Asian countries. Cool Clubs has a presence in Australia but I’m not sure where else, maybe Singapore.

Their Boston store is a really great resource for me. I've found that once you're a customer you get some nice unwritten perks. For instance, a couple of months back I added a second hand hybrid to my bag and I was unsure about shaft choice. I dropped in without an appointment to chat, had my bag in the car, and after talking casually with my fitter he just threw me in the bay as we looked at the numbers with the club. They're so brand agnostic and go by the numbers so even though I was more than willing to throw down the cash for the Isawa hybrid shaft he said there was absolutely no need to change shafts based on the trackman data. That's a lost sale on their part but how you build rapport with customers over the long play.

Similar type of experience for me at the Dallas location. Going in a couple of weeks for a 3rd fitting in the last 4 yrs.

Back