Does Waggling Bother You?

I have two or three waggles, nothing crazy.

As everyone else says as long as it's not excessive.

If it's a 2 min shot routine then yes it bothers me. But if it's like Tyno does then no bother then.

my wife and I used to play with another couple. both of them had annoying pre-shot habits. he would constantly improve his lie, and she would sometimes take up to a minute to pull the trigger on her shot. line up, 15-20 seconds of foot and leg twitches, then she'd do this thing with her fingers...clenching/unclenching her grip..just the fingers though. that would go on for another 15-20 seconds....once done with that, she'd have to think perfectly still for another 10 seconds or so, and then let er rip. when she connected, she hit it a mile but when she didn't, her husband would immediately jump her case with "ya picked up yer haid. I toldja not to pick up yer haid" gawd it got old. we don't play with them any more.

I don't mind a bit of a waggle. Anything too long and drawn out though drives me nuts.

Guilty as charged. When things go bad, the waggles get worse.

I hope I never play with you because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna tackle you by the third hole, in slow motion of course. Then waggle my fist in slow motion over your head until you promiss to not take so friggin long to hit the damn ball.
No reason to get angry,I will be more than happy to wave you thru.Im only trying to get better at this game like everyone else wants to.If I'm slowing to many people down i will make it maybe 2 slow motion practice swings.Sorry to upset,but I made some huge changes that will take time to be natural

Lol. I'm not angry it was a joke. But taking that much time to hit a shot,,,on course would be tough to maintain playing partners. I could see you doing that in the range but that routine being taught to you is questionable. On the range,,,great,,,in play???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waggle doesn't bother me. Just do it and and hit it. Don't take forever to hit your shot.

Watching the reply of the Sony open and Blair's Cha Cha Cupid shuffle, it's beginning to bother me more that I thought initially. Also, the fact that he looks like Chunk from the Goonies cracks me up.

I know this will be taken the wrong way.But my instructor told me to take 3 to 5 practice swings before every shot in slow motion.Than make 3 or 4'slow motion mock waggles in slow motion at address before I hit the ball.He told me this is what needs to be done to groove what I learned in his lessons.This will be my pre shot routine this year

Chip, I would respectfully suggest that you ask your instructor if this routine should only be done on the practice range. You practice (as described above) on the range, but you play on the golf course. You can have one, but never more than two swing thoughts while playing golf.

Good luck to you maintaining regular playing partners if you do this on the course.

Blair's "happy dog wiggle" didn't bother me. Nor does someone doing a waggle or 3.

only time preshot/waggle routine bothers me is when it takes tooooooo looooooong

I never knew a waggle was allowed to be considered bothersome...

Rest assured, with out any intent, because of this thread, every time I see someone waggle, I'm quietly going to think 'what a Richard he is.
I didn't want to be that way and hold OP personally responsible.

As long as it isn't a Miley sirus twirking (or is it twerking, or twurking) I have no friggin idea. But outside of that do whatever you want. But do dat and fugeddaboudit one just might get a size 12 golf cleat up the alley and a 5wood right in the ol sauseeege. :beat-up:By the time I'm through they'll be using given parts of you as tee box markers.....ifa ya no whaddamean.:D

Sorry...had to rant about this twirking stuff...whats the world coming too....:confused2:

Of course I saw a preshot routine today at the driving range + waggling that made mine look tame. But she could hit the ball well.

I don't waggle but I don't mind anyone else's ritual as long as it doesn't take too long.

I once counted a guy's practice swings, a good player, on every shot and I counted 13 practice swings. On. Every. Shot. We advised him on that and now he's much faster, and still good.

There's another guys "waggle" which was like a twenty-second golf version of the cha-cha, stepping in and out of his address. A fast player except for that ritual of his. The funniest part of that was no one could ever guess when it was time for him to hit, he'd put himself into an awkward position and suddenly strike at the ball.

Golf's like that.

I rather deal with someone with a crazy waggle than 87 practice swings...or a Furyk like approach to putting.

Sometimes my best shots are grab a club, walk up, and hit the ball.

I rather deal with someone with a crazy waggle than 87 practice swings...or a Furyk like approach to putting.

Sometimes my best shots are grab a club, walk up, and hit the ball.

For full shots, that's pretty much my approach unless the lie is in the rough and then I'll take a swing nearby to see how the club/grass interact. On touch/chip shots, I need to be better at slowing down and taking a couple of practice strokes though.

Added: To the OP question, I think I am with the majority as I don't mind anyone's pre-shot routine provided it does not go on too long. There is nothing more agonizing than watching someone over the ball who just can't pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me if you do it ... just do it quickly. If you take 10+ waggles or more and you duff it 10 feet ... it's time for a different pre-shot routine. 90% of the time I don't watch you anyway, I look away until the ball is gone.
Now Blair on the other hand, the little fidgets, waggles, etc. he was doing ... that was annoying as H*LL. I would be telling my caddie "let me know when he's done OK." But he was never under the clock, so I guess it's good that he was fast doing it.

I don't waggle and it doesn't really bother me if other people waggle.

It can bug me. If I am playing with someone that takes a little too long with the waggle it can throw me of as I will start to move on the tee box having expected the swing only to get the big waggle instead,

I don't care at all. I understand the need to feel comfortable over a shot before swinging.

Back