What Do You Want To Learn About Golf Equipment?

Id love to learn more about the fitting and building side of things. Id even love to move into that as a career.

I would like to learn more about what inspires these ideas. Right brain stuff? Left brain stuff?

Here is a side note question. What if you learned was right for you, was not something that fit your eye?

I doubt that I would game anything that didn't suite my eye, but most of the OEM's are building great clubs these days finding a good performing club to suite your eye is not that hard. To me it's all about finding the right head from a looks perspective and getting the shaft that works best for me.

This might sound like a needlessly complex question...but I'd like to hear from Doc Hock or TO how CG placement on adjustable drivers, especially laterally adjustable drivers like the APW, ends up affecting strike location and subsequent gear effect. Also, if I were asking TO, whether this is part of why Cobra has yet to introduce a driver with weight placement that can be shifted towards the toe or heel.

This might just be a personal issue, but I tend to chase the CG, so moving a weight towards the heel tends to make me strike with the heel of the club, which has always produced a much higher likelihood of a fade or slice despite the intent being to encourage a closed face at impact. Maybe it's just me.

If i had more time, money and golf games to throw away, I would like to find more about what equipment is best for me. I'm currently constrained by what's available in my country, and a cost limitation. Also, I decided this year to stop messing around with my gear so I can be more consistent with my game.

As an architect, I'm hard-wired to believe that something must be good and look good at the same time.

I'd like to know what I need to look for in a shaft in simple terms. The tech in shafts has gotten more complex, and the terms used don't make a whole lot of sense. So being able to walk into a place and have an idea of what I need a shaft to do, and to be able to translate that into finding a range of shafts that work for me would be nice. I suspect it's not that simple....

Mechanics, why this movement causes this or that.

Shafts and grips

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Biomechanics of the body and golf swing interest me greatly followed by dimple patterns and drag effects in heavy wind and if the right choice might be a different ball when the wind goes over a certain amount. Wouldn't mind learning how to break par multiple rounds in a row.

I am this boards worst nightmare. I have been playing for almost 40 years and have never been fit for clubs. I have had 3 sets in that time and all off the rack. I would love to learn the ins and outs of fittings and how different shafts will affect my game.

Lots of people said shafts. So here is a chance to really get the information.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...th-Project-X-The-Golf-Industry-Uncut-Volume-3

I am this boards worst nightmare. I have been playing for almost 40 years and have never been fit for clubs. I have had 3 sets in that time and all off the rack. I would love to learn the ins and outs of fittings and how different shafts will affect my game.

Great place to start is the above Steve.

I want to know just enough to be able to ask the right questions of the club reps and professional fitters when acquiring new equipment. It is important that I have enough basic knowledge to understand that their actions and comments actually make sense to me. It provides the required confidence in the equipment I acquire that this equipment is best for me.

I went back and listened to a Callaway Pod Cast with Phil they had a week or two ago. The thing that really jumped out at me was how he was looking for consistency in terms or misses with all clubs across the board. How he might have a 5 iron that's 2 up, and a 9 iron that might be 1 flat, but it's ALL so that any misses he has are 99% the same. The fine tuning he does is SO much more than anyone true does.

So...to answer the OP. Could this be the future of golf equipment fitting, or is this just a Pro/Above Average Amateur thing/fitting of the future?

Do all Pro's do this?

Shaft technology intrigues me the most. All OEM's are "maximizing" the MOI on all of their clubs, and now Aerodynamics seems to be the tech of the day on drivers. Material make-up seems to get recycled every few years, with more and more drivers utilizing multiple materials in their heads. I still game an old MX-500 driver with a low center of gravity once in a while when I am struggling to get a higher launch, usually in the winter. That tech is basically the same as the new M1's and it's several years old.

Shafts however are constantly improving by utilizing new technology that's never existed. Layering concepts that improve torque and keep weight down creating more speed and perfect launch for any player. Stock shafts today are better than $300 upcharges 5 years ago. Technology is a blessing a curse

Like many here, shafts are number 1 on my learning desire list. I think there are a lot of options to come up to speed on driver shafts. I would like to know more about iron and wedge shafts. For example, I hit my i25 irons quite high, high enough people often comment on it. Is that me, the shaft/club, both? Can a different shaft help me lower my flight, and would that be a benefit to my game? On windy days, I'm thinking a big fat yes to the latter.

Lots of people said shafts. So here is a chance to really get the information.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...th-Project-X-The-Golf-Industry-Uncut-Volume-3

Shaft technology intrigues me the most. All OEM's are "maximizing" the MOI on all of their clubs, and now Aerodynamics seems to be the tech of the day on drivers. Material make-up seems to get recycled every few years, with more and more drivers utilizing multiple materials in their heads. I still game an old MX-500 driver with a low center of gravity once in a while when I am struggling to get a higher launch, usually in the winter. That tech is basically the same as the new M1's and it's several years old.

Shafts however are constantly improving by utilizing new technology that's never existed. Layering concepts that improve torque and keep weight down creating more speed and perfect launch for any player. Stock shafts today are better than $300 upcharges 5 years ago. Technology is a blessing a curse

Like many here, shafts are number 1 on my learning desire list. I think there are a lot of options to come up to speed on driver shafts. I would like to know more about iron and wedge shafts. For example, I hit my i25 irons quite high, high enough people often comment on it. Is that me, the shaft/club, both? Can a different shaft help me lower my flight, and would that be a benefit to my game? On windy days, I'm thinking a big fat yes to the latter.

Look up guys.
Here is a great chance to learn from one of the best in the world in shafts and break it down in very simple terms.

what may appear to be high to amateurs isn't that high. So you know what your peak height is?

what may appear to be high to amateurs isn't that high. So you know what your peak height is?

I don't have any quantitative data for my irons, or any of my clubs for that matter. I have only hit one time on a scope, maybe 15 min with 2-3 off-the-shelf drivers at a Goldsmith last year. That is a good question for me to sort out.

I am interested in what research is being done and technology being implemented to maintain good lateral dispersion. I think of forgiveness in clubs as ways to have ball speeds on off center hits mimic good strikes, but long and way right or left is no bueno. I would rather be short and on line in most cases. What are OEMs doing to keep toed shots coming back on line but not over-hooking? What is being done so that shots off the heel don't slice two fairways over?

I want to know more about the nitty gritty details (science and software) behind launch monitors.

I studied Physics in college, and write software for a living so I'm mostly curious how they're built so I could tinker with building my own (someday).

Probably the one thing that manufacturers would probably not want to discuss, and that is marketing vs. design. We all know that there are specs that manufacturers try and get their clubs to meet and no go over. With all of the yardage gains every year on new model releases, what is the validity behind their gains. Is it hype (marketing) or fact (technology), or maybe a little of both. I'm the type of person who can see the technology behind a product, but dubious about the exaggerated claims by some manufacturers.

I'd like to understand ball physics a lot more without going into numbers.

For example, I read some time back that the first part of ball trajectory is always determined by the direction of the swing. What happens after that is because of spin and whether the face is open or closed.

I'd like to know how spin and other forces dictate ball flight. How much spin to cause lift? How much of that affects roll? Is there a sweet spot that provides maximum lift and maximum roll?

Back