Ball Speed is King!

great video. i also enjoyed the discussion about finding the optimal combo to maximize the golfer’s potential. very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

great video. i also enjoyed the discussion about finding the optimal combo to maximize the golfer’s potential. very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That to me is crucial and its something Danny and I work with for Shaft Up.
We see club comparisons quite a bit where ball speed is used. Based on what Nick says in the video, if one club is fit and the other is not, especially where swing weight is heavier, the ball speed debate may not be the best one until both are set in place the same. I found that interesting when I heard it, which made me look through a lot of data on THP. Pretty fun stuff.

So could changing balls: for example from regular CS to CSX make a big difference in ball speed? Would that necessarily mean you should change to that ball just because of the better ball speed? Wouldn't you till want to take into account of performance of the ball for your swingspeed?

So could changing balls: for example from regular CS to CSX make a big difference in ball speed? Would that necessarily mean you should change to that ball just because of the better ball speed? Wouldn't you till want to take into account of performance of the ball for your swingspeed?

Yes it absolutely could.

That's the real question. Do you go for the hottest ball off the face, or the one that is going to promote some extra control?

It's a really interesting conversation to have, because it technically adds an element of forgiveness vs distance to the fitting considerations. It's so much more than just club + shaft.

That to me is crucial and its something Danny and I work with for Shaft Up.
We see club comparisons quite a bit where ball speed is used. Based on what Nick says in the video, if one club is fit and the other is not, especially where swing weight is heavier, the ball speed debate may not be the best one until both are set in place the same. I found that interesting when I heard it, which made me look through a lot of data on THP. Pretty fun stuff.

i really don't envy fitters. something that should work on paper will never factor in the human element, and how that golfer responds to the overall build in his hands.

question about what was said specific to swingweight. he mentioned that getting the swingweight right will often help increase ball speed. is that because the right swingweight will help the golfer deliver a better strike?

i really don't envy fitters. something that should work on paper will never factor in the human element, and how that golfer responds to the overall build in his hands.

question about what was said specific to swingweight. he mentioned that getting the swingweight right will often help increase ball speed. is that because the right swingweight will help the golfer deliver a better strike?

I think that’ll depend on the person honestly. I know that’s not an easy answer for one that’s white but some people swing wait just does not bother that much

That was one of the most important thing when I was fit at ShaftUp, getting all the swing weights throughout my irons to match when we found an overall weight and swing weight that worked best for me. Danny was very meticulous about getting that part right and even added some tungsten powder to the epoxy when building my irons.

That was one of the most important thing when I was fit at ShaftUp, getting all the swing weights throughout my irons to match when we found an overall weight and swing weight that worked best for me. Danny was very meticulous about getting that part right and even added some tungsten powder to the epoxy when building my irons.

I wonder if this is why my 7 iron is my most consistent club for me. I might just be the right swing weight. Even though I have been fit for Irons and Driver, swing weight has never come up in the conversation.

I wonder if this is why my 7 iron is my most consistent club for me. I might just be the right swing weight. Even though I have been fit for Irons and Driver, swing weight has never come up in the conversation.

Could be possible, have them checked to see. Getting them checked and adjusted could be an easy way to gain a little consistency in an otherwise inconsistent game.

Could be possible, have them checked to see. Getting them checked and adjusted could be an easy way to gain a little consistency in an otherwise inconsistent game.

One of the most under thought (and over thought) parts of fitting is actual weight (not swing weight). Speaking with Fitting Room Nate tonight at Bring It with OGIO, we spoke about this video and why he works to fit to ball speed through weight, the same way Nick talks about, so the body is not fighting anything.

One of the most under thought (and over thought) parts of fitting is actual weight (not swing weight). Speaking with Fitting Room Nate tonight at Bring It with OGIO, we spoke about this video and why he works to fit to ball speed through weight, the same way Nick talks about, so the body is not fighting anything.

That’s very true! Just as an example, keep in mind THP’ers I’m quite different than most as to what works for me, but once I found a total weight that worked for me it made a big difference in consistency. I’m not the best driver of the golf ball by any means, but once Danny put me in an 80g driver shaft I really quit fighting the driver like I used to. The irons worked out about the same way with the 125g shafts. Then it was basically just taking those swing weights that worked and building it into the entire set.

I think something that gets forgotten about swing weight sometimes is that it has nothing to do with total weight. You can have a very heavy golf club that has a swing weight on the lighter side, most of my clubs are are D1 I believe but very heavy overall, and the opposite can also be true. But like you said it’s all about finding out what your body won’t fight during the swing.

I always enjoy these tech videos. Keep em coming!

My thoughts on ball speed being king... without a doubt, it is. I was someone always trying out equipment on a launch monitor, so I've always been well aware of where my ball speed was at. Recently I made some swing changes to try and tighten up dispersion. I figured if I lost a little ball speed to gain accuracy, no biggie since I was long enough. WRONG! You don't realize how important it is until it's gone. Par 4s where I used to be a wedge in, I'm now hitting mid-long irons in. It's maddening.

I don't know if I agree with the statement that ball speed wasn't paid attention to until recently. Since the inception of launch monitors, it's pretty much been a standard of measurement as far as I remember. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back