Apex 2014/15 iron vs new Apex cf 16

Shep

Reaction score
Handicap
8-16
I own the apex 14,recoil f3 4-p and it doesn't geT much better. Anybody play both or hit both extensively and give unbiased opinion?

I own the apex 14,recoil f3 4-p and it doesn't geT much better. Anybody play both or hit both extensively and give unbiased opinion?

Yes. The new irons are better in every way in my opinion.

Look better
Feel better
About a half club longer
More forgiving

I have owned both and I like the cf 16 better. In the longer irons I am about half club longer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Unbiased opinion? Yep. The CF's are better in about every way. Mayyyybe looks would go to the 2014 Apex depending on your tastes, but that's it. The CF's perform a lot better to me.

2014 Apex is best iron I've ever owned, for me, they are more forgiving than the new ones, which to my eye has a slightly smaller club head size. I hit both and did not see any difference between the two, I actually hit the 2014 higher than the 2016. The 2014 has a carpenter steel face insert, the 2016 it's a stainless steel face insert. I think both are good, but for me, 2014 was as good as it gets. Recently I happened to stumble across a brand new set in shrink wrap of the 2014 in the same specs (2 up, RH, in recoil F3, 5 through SW) that I bought them for $775...so that's how much I like the 2014. I've been a golf maniac since 1998 and I've never bought a backup set of irons, so this move says alot about how much I like these irons...

More forgiving is interesting based on construction, but glad you found something that works for you. Most important thing in this game.

Another area where I think the new Apex improve on the previous iteration is the shape of the PW and GW. I thought they looked a lot better in the CF16 when I tried them out.

I've hit the new Apex, and own the old Apex. While I do think the new ones are a bit more forgiving, and look spectacular, I don't have any plans to upgrade at this time. Just didn't see a big enough difference to justify the price tag.

More forgiving is interesting based on construction, but glad you found something that works for you. Most important thing in this game.

I'm an ex Ping G series guy JB, I think I still like things that are a little bigger...it's a bias...I'm sure it's just a mental thing...the 2016 set is amazing looking, this was just a personal thing...hopefully Callaway keeps this series going...i.e., Apex 2016, Apex 2018, Apex 2020...

I'm an ex Ping G series guy JB, I think I still like things that are a little bigger...it's a bias...I'm sure it's just a mental thing...the 2016 set is amazing looking, this was just a personal thing...hopefully Callaway keeps this series going...i.e., Apex 2016, Apex 2018, Apex 2020...

I hope so too, because I think they continue to evolve on something that so many THPers have really enjoyed.

Back