NHL 2015-2016 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing though people have been spoiled and think everyone is going to jump in the league and be a superstar because of a high pick. Not a ton of those guys are around and at d they take even longer to develop. EDM has a very solid core as they mature they will take the next step.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The generational players like Crosby and McDavid are the rare players that make an immediate positive impact on their team. I might even throw Ekblad in there. Defenseman don't get noticed as much but he is going to be one of the top D in the league for years to come.

It's easy to say that when the Panthers are winning hahaha

I would have said the same thing for the past 5 years only with a little more sarcasm. Haha

So, if that talent was anywhere but Edmonton would you agree with the original statement?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Goalies defense and depth win cups. Edmonton struggles with all 3 IMO.

Scrap summed it up.

Playoffs, sure. Cup, still a long......long road.

Just a matter of time before one of the big young names moved out of Edmonton. No way they can keep all of them.

Here's the thing though people have been spoiled and think everyone is going to jump in the league and be a superstar because of a high pick. Not a ton of those guys are around and at d they take even longer to develop. EDM has a very solid core as they mature they will take the next step.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Considering most of their pics are first overall they should go to the show immediately IMO and they should have them insulated with vets to help him develope and guide them with strong leadership. Katz is just a jock sniffing owner who gave jobs to the stars of the 80's that he loved to watch. He is too scared to fire them and bring in true hockey minds. Hiring Nocolson was the best move he made. He has no ties to these people and wants to build on his reputation of winning and show that he can do it in the NHL and not just when he pics a fantasy team for team canada.

one more thing about Edmonton, all these young superstars were thrown out there in a team with noone else and no system, they play a lot, and pretty much how they want. I am not sure how well they would have done if they landed in a team with actual decent players and a coach that try to show them how to play in their end of the ice. And I wonder how your average first round skilled player would have done if they were in Edmonton.

I am not saying they are not good, but I think the non system in Edm makes them look a bit beter than they really are.

It's hard to develop as a young player when you're almost immediately the best player on the team.

Edmonton is a succubus of talent and it needs to get turned around sooner rather than later. Wish they'd find a way to recover in the next couple years so guys like Hall, McDavid, and Nugent-Hopkins don't become throw away talents.

Here's the deal with the Oilers though...

Until this season they haven't had a real GM, or any coaching consistency since their last cup run.

With Chia and McLellan in charge they'll change the culture and turn a corner.

I'm also reasonably convinced most hockey fans don't actually know how good McDavid is going to be. In a couple years people are going to be asking "Sid who?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one more thing about Edmonton, all these young superstars were thrown out there in a team with noone else and no system, they play a lot, and pretty much how they want. I am not sure how well they would have done if they landed in a team with actual decent players and a coach that try to show them how to play in their end of the ice. And I wonder how your average first round skilled player would have done if they were in Edmonton.

I am not saying they are not good, but I think the non system in Edm makes them look a bit beter than they really are.

I'm going to disagree on the coaching. They have had some good names go through there. It's thinks like having Renny and Quinn as co coaches and an organization that doesn't make acquisitions for the coach and gives the world to new "superstars". They let the kids run wild and didn't support the coach and nobody on the team voiced up.

I remember Guigger in Colorado calling out the kids because they were out of the playoffs and all they talked about was where they were going for vacation.

Check me out talking about hockey and not just ripping on the Caps. Go Jagr!!!

Here's the deal with the Oilers though...

Until this season they haven't had a real GM, or any coaching consistency since their last cup run.

With Chia and McLellan in charge they'll change the culture and turn a corner.

I'm also reasonably convinced most hockey fans don't actually know how good McDavid is going to be. In a couple years people are going to be asking "Sid who?"

That's because Katz wants to hang out with the 80's Oilers and feel important with his boyhood heros.

Yeah, it must be nice to keep vaulting into the first pick rather than actually having a competent system in place.

Combine an idiot owner, and a draft lottery and it is what it is. Believe me it's a lot more painful for Oilers fans than it is for the rest of the league.

Combine an idiot owner, and a draft lottery and it is what it is. Believe me it's a lot more painful for Oilers fans than it is for the rest of the league.

You sure about that? Coming from a fan base with basically zero playoff success in 16 years, I think I speak for all my fellow CBJ fans when I say "boo freaking hoo" hahaha

The Jackets have managed to draft a whopping two legitimate talents in the draft (Ryan Murray not considered yet), and both turned out to not be franchise players the way a Toews or a Crosby are. You now have a gaggle after only a few bad years.

That's because Katz wants to hang out with the 80's Oilers and feel important with his boyhood heros.

Absolutely. Let's hope Bob Nicholsen continues to do good work around him. (For hockey's sake)

You sure about that? Coming from a fan base with basically zero playoff success in 16 years, I think I speak for all my fellow CBJ fans when I say "boo freaking hoo" hahaha

The Jackets have managed to draft a whopping two legitimate talents in the draft (Ryan Murray not considered yet), and both turned out to not be franchise players the way a Toews or a Crosby are. You now have a gaggle after only a few bad years.

Cbj has been burned by their pics. How many Russians just left and goalies who had 1 immaculate season and couldn't keep it going. LeClair and Mason had a few stellar seasons. This is a fan base I feel awful for not freakin Edmonton.

Want Nikita Nikitin back? :p

Unless you're a tin foil hat that thinks the lottery is rigged, I don't know how to excuse all the #1 picks. (Feel free to take Yakupov if you want)

Edmonton absolutely got lucky getting McDavid. They'd also be a lot better if they won the lottery in Ekblad's year instead of Yakupov or RNH.

It's absolutely a luxury being able to look back on the Gretzky years, but Don't for a minute think that it hasn't been a horrible decade to be an Oilers fan. Especially when we have to endlessly deal with all this "they don't deserve to win the random draw" nonsense.

Cbj has been burned by their pics. How many Russians just left and goalies who had 1 immaculate season and couldn't keep it going. LeClair and Mason had a few stellar seasons. This is a fan base I feel awful for not freakin Edmonton.

The biggest mistake Columbus ever made was drafting Brule over Kopitar, purely because MacLean is a dips*** and wanted a talented North American. I think we all know what a Kopitar/Nash pairing would have been like.

Joey was still the best player in his draft class behind Seguin and Hall.
Filatov will go down as one of the worst picks they ever made (that draft year was stupid deep) but it's hard to argue his skill level wasn't comparable at the time
Voracek was a great pick but only after he got out from under Columbus for whatever reason.
Same story on Brassard (funny that Foligno was later in that same first round)
Brule over Kopitar broke my damn heart
Picard was a bust but that was a soft draft
Imagine taking Getzlaf over Zherdev in 03? UGH.

At the end of the day, Columbus has had only a couple of REAL chances at drafting a franchise player, and never have they had an opportunity to draft a generational player. No one sympathizes for Edmonton, who uses franchise players to shoot hats out of cannons they have so many.

It's absolutely a luxury being able to look back on the Gretzky years, but Don't for a minute think that it hasn't been a horrible decade to be an Oilers fan. Especially when we have to endlessly deal with all this "they don't deserve to win the random draw" nonsense.

It isn't nonsense. Edmonton should be blocked from drafting top three for the next five years at minimum. What is happening right now is a joke.

Unless of course you're a 'suffering' Oilers fan. Then I'd be pretty freaking pleased with it as well.

It isn't nonsense. Edmonton should be blocked from drafting top three for the next five years at minimum. What is happening right now is a joke.

Unless of course you're a 'suffering' Oilers fan. Then I'd be pretty freaking pleased with it as well.

Tin foil hat then, got it.

It's a random lottery right? Sure it's been a streak of crazy luck, but I'd trade a couple of playoff appearances for any of the #1's (not named McDavid).

Tin foil hat then, got it.

It's a random lottery right? Sure it's been a streak of crazy luck, but I'd trade a couple of playoff appearances for any of the #1's (not named McDavid).

Who is wearing a tinfoil hat? I have no opinion on the lottery aside from it's not working, at all.

Your team keeps sucking, and benefiting with first overalls. Laughably, people continue to fill the seats despite the suck. Other teams, who don't have the storied history that Edmonton does, also struggle to win games, and adversely have fan bases that aren't silly enough to spend a ton of money on a team that sucks.

The skill available at the draft should be spread across the league, not gifted each year to the same team. No team should be able to draft first overall more than twice in ten years, let alone consecutive years.

...and what's funny about my comments, is that everyone who isn't an Edmonton fan laughs at the idea of getting two first overalls in ten years, let alone FOUR OUT OF THE LAST SIX YEARS, with a pathetically decent chance of this year making it 5 of 7 hahahaha!

It's a damn joke, and I don't need to wear a hat to say it.

I like what Canadad is putting down.

:popcorn:

this is funny.

:popcorn:

this is funny.

What's funny, is watching my team not suck enough to be worse than Edmonton every year hahahaha (as they win in a shootout again last night to vault EDM).

Bye bye Austin Matthews.... We could have had something special!!! :alien:

It's not painful at all, in fact its pretty funny. and it's always nice to know that there is at least one team that is worse than the one we are cheering for

They'd also be a lot better if they won the lottery in Ekblad's year instead of Yakupov or RNH.
lets be honest here, they would have drafted Reinhart instead of Ekblad, just like they drafted yakopov instead of murray and RNH instead of Larsson.
I'd trade a couple of playoff appearances for any of the #1's (not named McDavid).

they could have, anyof these picks, prior to Edmonton destrying their values, could have landed us some incredible value, probably even enough depth players and veterans to make a playoff appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back