Mizuno MP-25 Irons Preview

​I was able to get fitted today using Mizunos swing analyzer. As I expected, nothing about my current clubs are correct for my swing. I hit the 850's both forged and non forged, as well as the JPX-EZ and the MP-25. I liked the feel and look of the MP-25's the best, and am now pondering purchasing them or the Callaway XR's.

Interesting sets to be deciding between. The Callaway XR's and MP-25's couldn't be much different IMO. What's making those the top choices?

I had my mine set on the XR's until today when I hit the MP-25's. I really like the feel of the 25's but fear they won't give me the forgiveness I need on miss hits. What's your opinion of the two?

I had my mine set on the XR's until today when I hit the MP-25's. I really like the feel of the 25's but fear they won't give me the forgiveness I need on miss hits. What's your opinion of the two?

the XR's are a great distance/forgiveness option out there and fantastic clubs. The MP-25's are basically a cavity back blade with a little bit of help to them from the titanium they put in the cavity, but not all that much. They won't be as punishing as some of the other pure CB's out there, but they won't be anywhere as forgiving as the XR's. The feel and look of the MP-25's is fantastic, but they'll be punishing on mishits. I'd say the JPX-EZ or standard 850 are more comparable to the XR's.

I don't know your game, so you very much may be able to play the MP-25's just fine, I just found it interesting it was between those two options. Which ever you choose though they will both look great in the bag

They certainly look like Mizzy irons, which isn't at all a bad thing. Would like to put some swings on them eventually.

the XR's are a great distance/forgiveness option out there and fantastic clubs. The MP-25's are basically a cavity back blade with a little bit of help to them from the titanium they put in the cavity, but not all that much. They won't be as punishing as some of the other pure CB's out there, but they won't be anywhere as forgiving as the XR's. The feel and look of the MP-25's is fantastic, but they'll be punishing on mishits. I'd say the JPX-EZ or standard 850 are more comparable to the XR's.

I don't know your game, so you very much may be able to play the MP-25's just fine, I just found it interesting it was between those two options. Which ever you choose though they will both look great in the bag

OK....Thanks

Think you've got the 25s and 15s mixed up. The 15s definitely have the TI-Muscle in them to help with the mishits. the 25s are the boron irons with the slot behind the face. More in line with what the MP54s were/are. They're definitely more forgiving than the 15s and about half a club longer for me than my 54s. Definitely agree with the comps with the JPX and EZ to the XRs. Lots of forgiveness in the JPX line.

They certainly look like Mizzy irons, which isn't at all a bad thing. Would like to put some swings on them eventually.
I get the feeling you'd like these. Slightly larger top line than the VPC, nice satin finish. Not as soft a sound as previous MP offerings, but nice none the less. Feel is very similar to that of the 850F.

Think you've got the 25s and 15s mixed up. The 15s definitely have the TI-Muscle in them to help with the mishits. the 25s are the boron irons with the slot behind the face. More in line with what the MP54s were/are. They're definitely more forgiving than the 15s and about half a club longer for me than my 54s. Definitely agree with the comps with the JPX and EZ to the XRs. Lots of forgiveness in the JPX line.

I'm not sure why I thought that the 25's were using some sort of titanium in them as well. apparently their weird numbering system is messing with my head as well.

I'm not sure why I thought that the 25's were using some sort of titanium in them as well. apparently their weird numbering system is messing with my head as well.

Lol! No worries, man. I know you know your stuff. Their number system is a little weird. Maybe the 27's will be boron and Ti....oh boy....now I'm drooling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful irons! I've always been a fan of MOST of their irons though.

Got to hit the 6 iron on Sunday when I stopped at 2nd Swing. Had them pair it with a TT DG shaft since that's what I'm used to. The sole and top line are thinner than I realized from pics and also something different than my eye is used to. Took about a half dozen swings (I was halfway out the door when I saw these). Hit the sweet spot on half of those. According to the launch monitor, flight wise was similar to what i usually see. Distance wise I was atleast a half club longer. Keep in mind, my current set of irons are almost a decade old. Mishits were heelside which is my miss and had a touch harsher feel than what I currently have but nothing that would scare me off. I'd definately like to take some more swings with this club.

I received my set a couple of days ago, haven't got them on the course yet but I hit a large bucket on the range trying out each club in the set. 4 iron was giving me a nice consistent flight which I was really pleased with as that's what I was lacking at times with my cb's. Tried switching between 6 and 7 a few times and I really couldn't distinguish much difference in feel between. Short irons played great with a compact head but a nice muscle behind the ball. Probably not quite a "soft" as the sweetest strike on my cb's but certainly better feeling across the face even if forgiveness is pretty similar.

really like these clubs, although it's the custom fitting which has me really excited to see the results on the course.

For anybody that played the MP 25's, have you also tried the MP 54's and how do they compare?

I just got fitted for a set today (5-PW) and can say that the MP-25's were about 7-10 yards longer on the carry than the 54's. I was a little scared of a MB and have been leaning towards the JPX 850's at first but after hitting the MP-25's and going through some different shaft options, they were just too sweet and I couldn't resist. Misses weren't as bad as I thought they would be either, there's definitely feedback on a mis-hit (nothing too awful tho), but very little loss in distance unless you really go off center then you deserve what you get anyway. Let me say however, when you hit one pure, there's nothing like it. Little baby fades almost brought a tear to my eye. I could tell the ball shape before the Trackman line even showed up. Can't wait till they come in, we'll get the lie angle dialed in and then wait for the snow to melt.

I had been trying out various irons via my local shop's fitting carts and I happened to try the MP-25 a couple weeks ago. I went back in today to grab the MP-25 again but I put in the S300 shaft this time to try. As I'm walking out of the shop, the owner points to the work table... MP-25 heads, 4-pw! He told me if I liked the iron today he'd make me a deal on the heads.
I went to the range and hit a bucket, then I took 6 balls to the first fairway, marked three of them, then took out my Apex 7 iron and the MP-25 6 iron (same lofts). I hit three balls each (Z Star XV, Chrome Soft, and E6) from 170 yards into the wind. After doing this three times, it turned out that the MP-25 was 7-9 yards longer on average, and had a tighter dispersion. I hit two balls on to the green into the wind- both were hit by the MP-25.
I then went to the 9th fairway and hit one ball from 182, wind left to right across. The ball went over the green. MP-25.
Lastly, I went to the 18th fairway and hit the Apex vs MP-25 again from 162 into the wind, pin in front. All three shots with the Mizuno hit the green- one was 3 feet right of the pin, the other two were 9 and 10 feet right, just beyond the pin. All three Apex shots landed 4 yards short of the green.
Sold!
I ordered some Dynamic Gold AMT S300 shafts off of eBay tonight to go into the heads as my Apex shafts are .370 tip and won't fit.
I can say I'm absolutely shocked at the results vs my Apex. They were longer (loft to loft), straighter, felt better, and had a more penetrating mid flight. I am just shocked.
I'm looking forward to having them in my bag!

I picked up the irons today and I'll get my first round with them tomorrow.

Dang. This is going to ruin my plans on not buying any news clubs this year.

Still love these irons. I took out the Cobra ones at the top of my set and am enjoying all mp-25’s, forgiving and long, love these irons.

Still love these irons. I took out the Cobra ones at the top of my set and am enjoying all mp-25’s, forgiving and long, love these irons.
They are under rated! Purists didn't feel it was a true MP iron. What it is is long forgiving easy to work with great feel and looks!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Back