Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

A couple of questions, gentlemen.

How is the durability of the C200's and or last years comparable models?

Everyone seems to love the GW in the C220 set, a must have it appears. The loft of the GW is 48, which seems low, especially considering their enhanced distance. So what other wedge lofts do you use to fill those gaps, especially if you went the graphite route?

So far the durability has been great. No issues with the urethane inserts.

In addition to the 48 GW, I went 52 and 56 FG Tour TC wedges. Right now they're $60 because the PMP line just came out. Either would work very well ...

Perfect info.
Excellent.
Thank you.

I just realized I didn't fully answer your second question. I go 55* 59* after the gap wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I demo'd the C200 today (National Fitting). Along with the D100 and the F5. All 7 irons.

Spoke w the fitter. Turns out the WS rep called and asked if one of the store guys could do the fitting - so really just a demo day, not a fitting.

After telling the fitter what I currently played and their specs, he grabbed the above three irons, all standard length, loft and lie (I play 3* upright, 1" long). All stiff shafts.

I told him that I usually hit my 7i about 170.

D100 - went 180-185 yds, a few left, pretty good dispersion. I did not like the feel of this club, cannot put my finger on why, the shots were pretty good, just did not feel quite what I was used to.

F5 - he moved the target to 170 yds on the monitor. I hit my first shot - it landed just left of the hole. 170 yds total, carry 167 yds. Hit a few more, similar results, all around the flag.

C200 - Before I hit a shot, he said that I probably would not like the club, it was more "max game improvement" than I needed. I was jonesing to hit the C200, told him so, and he gave me the iron.

First swing, hit it perfect. On the monitor, I see the green, figure I am all over the flag. Nope, I am long, airmail the green, end up 228 yds. The fitter then moves the pin to a more manageable distance, 190 yds.
Next shot - a thin shot, goes 213, right. Move the pin again to 210 yds.
Third shot - a touch left, 217 yds.
Fourth shot - left again, 223 yds.
Fifth shot - a little right, 212 yds.
Sixth shot - left, 218 yds.
Seventh shot - thin, 225 yds, dead straight.
Eighth shot - flush, 218 yds all over the line of the flag.
Ninth and tenth shots - a little right, 213 and 214 yds.

Are you kidding me? 214 yd 7 iron? My 170 club.

I had the fitter move the flag back to 170, grabbed the F5, hit the ball....170 yds. just left of the pin. Hit two more shots, both were right of the flag at 165 and 166 yds.

Fitter looks at me, grabs the F5 and says "When you are ready, this is the club for you."

Glad I had the opportunity to hit the C200 - It felt great, terrific contact, could tell if I missed it but the misses were still really good shots.

Granted, this was inside, but this is a pretty busy place with three bays, no issues with the monitor, I believe the numbers.

I would be afraid to hit these clubs regularly - well, no I would not, except I would have to figure out what my yardages at the bottom of my bag would be, and find other irons/wedges to fit holes.

And I like hitting a 4 iron, so I might leave driver at home!!

C200 = Max Game Improvement? Those W/S reps better get on the ball ... if they let the locals sell their clubs for them, none will wind up being sold!

C200 = Max Game Improvement? Those W/S reps better get on the ball ... if they let the locals sell their clubs for them, none will wind up being sold!
I would agree with this.

At my so called "fitting ", the employee of Edwin Watts wasn't interested in helping me after my first few hits with my 7 iron. Just turned on the monitor and left.

What I found out on my own was that I hit my XR Pros about the same as the C200's. The C200 7 iron had a regular shaft and I play a stiff shaft. So I don't know if that made a difference.

Out of the 20 swings I took, my swing speed was within 2 miles of each other. So I was swinging consistently. The feel off the club head felt consistent with my XR Pros.

If I was thinking of getting new clubs, I would definitely consider these with a full fitting with the correct shaft. I wish I could have gotten 200 yards with the 7 iron, that would have been sweet. But both clubs for me averaged 170.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with this statement based on my experience with the W/S rep at my demo day (Carl's Golfland / Bloomfield Hills, MI)today. Hopefully he was having a bad day, but he offered no info other than if I bought a set of C200's the store had a deal where you could get a GW or LW for free. That only came after I asked about adding a GW, SW and or LW beyond the standard set. I brought up the U Duo, how I was looking forward to trying them and I got "yeah they are pretty good." He honestly didn't sound as if he cared if I bought anything for not. Hopefully he isn't the main W/S rep in the area. I was going to ask about putters and gave up. Since this visit was so short I hit Mizuno, Callaway and Cobra. A real head shaking encounter.

It might be explainable if his booth was packed, but I was the only one there.

Last edited:
Wow, I really hope that the W/S reps get their act together. Based on the results seen by THPers the C200s could really help W/S gain market share. But that will only happen if the reps do their job. Dumping the fittings off on the locals, who probably have a better margin selling other brands, will only harm Corporates efforts in shaking of the box brand image.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I just posted this thread up to social media. If you use it also I would encourage you to post your experiences as well. If somethings broken they need to know about it, especially if their flagship release for this year is not being marketed properly.

Dang spivey thats some crazy long numbers and crazy how much longer it was than F5.

A shame these sales guys arent giving them their fair shot

So I went to the Chicago Golf Show yesterday and hit the C200 club again. The first thing that jumped out to me was the size of the head, it's bigger than the 714 AP 1's I'm "attempting" to hit now. I immediately felt more confident behind the ball. And the sound the ball makes when you hit it flush is unreal. I then watched a C200 club fitting of Mike Richardson of the 85' Bears on stage. They used the CG2 Launch Monitor and that was unreal. I have seen the the guys in England famous for making YouTube videos use it. It was amazing. He didn't need a lie board. The monitor told the fitter where on the club face he was hitting it. He was able adjust length and lie angle from it. I grabbed the fitters card and told him I want him to fit me with that monitor. He did give me his card and obligated to fit me. Now if only my swing wasn't a such a mess..... I have to be crazy not to bag these based on forgiveness alone.

Love these and how innovative they look

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with this statement based on my experience with the W/S rep at my demo day today. Hopefully he was having a bad day, but he offered no info other than if I bought a set of C200's the store had a deal where you could get a GW or LW for free. That only came after I asked about adding a GW, SW and or LW beyond the standard set. I brought up the U Duo, how I was looking forward to trying them and I got "yeah they are pretty good." He honestly didn't sound as if he cared if I bought anything for not. Hopefully he isn't the main W/s rep in the area. I was going to ask about putters and gave up. Since this visit was so short I hit Mizuno, Callaway and Cobra. A real head shaking encounter.

It might be explainable if his booth was packed, but I was the only one there.

Potbunker,

Were you at Carl's Golfland by any chance? I made a 7 hour round trip specifically to demo the C200 irons and had just about the same experience you noted. Not only did the rep appear disinterested, Wilson really had few fitting options available for what was billed as a demo day.

The c200s did feel nice which was one of big concerns going into the fitting but the dispersion was not very good for me with the KBS 90 shafts. I made it clear that I was prepared to purchase on the spot if we could find a shaft that performed more consistently for me but he seemed to indicate he did not have other options. I suspect with the right shafts these would have been excellent. Given this experience after all the time and money I spent to get there, I am no longer going to consider Wilson products. Both the Ping Gs and the Srixon 355s performed well for me yesterday and the Ping rep was very helpful (I tried the Srixons on my own).

I just posted this thread up to social media. If you use it also I would encourage you to post your experiences as well. If somethings broken they need to know about it, especially if their flagship release for this year is not being marketed properly.

I am not a social media person, but good for you for doing so. W/S corporate needs to know as their commitment to new technology and advertising should be rewarded. If it doesn't happen at a grass roots level the results will be deflating for those at W/S corporate.
My whole purpose for going to demo days was to hit the C200, speak with the W/S rep vs store salespeople that I know, share what great things I had heard re: W/S and provide appreciation for their efforts.
What I got in return was less than inspiring and therefore moved on.
I will go back as I still have questions and hopefully either the same W/S person is not there or he is in a better frame of mind.

I had the opportunity to hit the C200's yesterday afternoon. Between listening to the THP podcast on them and reading all the great reviews here I was very excited about them. They felt good and I was definitely getting a little more distance without sacrificing height to the shot. However, I was getting more right to left than I prefer. My normal ball flight is somewhere between a nice draw and a not so nice hook. The C200's leaned a little more towards the hook. The guy that was helping me also had me hit the F5's and wow did they feel great! The feel was unbelievable and I started hitting a nice baby draw again. I guess that's why we hit them.

I had the opportunity to hit the C200's yesterday afternoon. Between listening to the THP podcast on them and reading all the great reviews here I was very excited about them. They felt good and I was definitely getting a little more distance without sacrificing height to the shot. However, I was getting more right to left than I prefer. My normal ball flight is somewhere between a nice draw and a not so nice hook. The C200's leaned a little more towards the hook. The guy that was helping me also had me hit the F5's and wow did they feel great! The feel was unbelievable and I started hitting a nice baby draw again. I guess that's why we hit them.

I should have expounded more in my comments. Generally I play a draw and did see more right to left in the the C200s than my previous C100s. This though I think comes from the shafts in my case. Just as with you, I hit the F5 and my usual slight draw appeared immediately - of course I know that the XP has traditionally been a good shaft for me. The F5s were about 12-14 yards shorter in distance than the c200s but the dispersion (both distance and right to left) was very good. I would have loved to test the C200s with the XP shaft.

Potbunker,

Were you at Carl's Golfland by any chance? I made a 7 hour round trip specifically to demo the C200 irons and had just about the same experience you noted. Not only did the rep appear disinterested, Wilson really had few fitting options available for what was billed as a demo day.

The c200s did feel nice which was one of big concerns going into the fitting but the dispersion was not very good for me with the KBS 90 shafts. I made it clear that I was prepared to purchase on the spot if we could find a shaft that performed more consistently for me but he seemed to indicate he did not have other options. I suspect with the right shafts these would have been excellent. Given this experience after all the time and money I spent to get there, I am no longer going to consider Wilson products. Both the Ping Gs and the Srixon 355s performed well for me yesterday and the Ping rep was very helpful (I tried the Srixons on my own).

Aslxa, yes, it was Carl's Golfland in Bloomfield Hills and amended my original post saying so if corporate does follow this. I hate to be a snitch, but our experiences were less than professional and showed a lack of enthusiasm for his product.

I'm so sorry you had the same experience considering your effort and reason for being there.
The W/S rep had the fitting cart there, so how could he not have other things for you to try? I asked him if the Carl's salespeople had access to the fitting cart and all I got was yes.
I shared generally about my impressions and range experience and he asked no probing questions nor made an effort to continue the dialogue. Dis-interested is the best way to describe my experience.
At a minimum I was going to walk out with a doz U Duos, but decided to keep my wallet in my pocket.

AndyCap++++++!!!!!!!

Like you, Aslxa, I was hoping this would be an easy process based upon all the W/S reviews and their new technology.
Unfortunately for W/S, my preliminary rankings are Callaway XR, Mizuno JPX 850, Cobra King TEC and maybe the C200 if I can get some questions answered.

I told my wife when I got home about this and she said "that is no reason not to buy a certain brand", which I agree with up to a point. Regardless, at a minimum it does severly taint my perspective.

Aslxa, yes, it was Carl's Golfland in Bloomfield Hills and amended my original post saying so if corporate does follow this. I hate to be a snitch, but our experiences were less than professional and showed a lack of enthusiasm for his product.

I'm so sorry you had the same experience considering your effort and reason for being there.
The W/S rep had the fitting cart there, so how could he not have other things for you to try? I asked him if the Carl's salespeople had access to the fitting cart and all I got was yes.
I shared generally about my impressions and range experience and he asked no probing questions nor made an effort to continue the dialogue. Dis-interested is the best way to describe my experience.
At a minimum I was going to walk out with a doz U Duos, but decided to keep my wallet in my pocket.

As a positive, AndyCap contacted me as he was heading to Ann Arbor with his wife. I suggested he try Miles of Golf and he PM'd this morning saying the store salesperson was great and will make the trip again for further trials.

Like you, I was hoping this would be an easy process based upon all the W/S reviews and their new technology.
Unfortunately for W/S, my preliminary rankings are Callaway XR, Mizuno JPX 850, Cobra King TEC and maybe the C200 if I can get some questions answered.

I told my wife when I got home about this and she said "that is no reason not to buy a certain brand", which I agree with up to a point. Regardless, at a minimum it does severly taint my perspective.

I did see the fitting cart but assumed, after the rep's reaction, that maybe the C200 were too new to have other options on the cart. I should have pressed harder but the rep continued to stress how good the launch, spin and distance numbers were (and he was correct in that) as a 175 yard 7 iron is very long for me. But the dispersion was not good as I blocked a few trying to hold off the harder hook I was seeing on my normal swing - I had about 20 yards of left to right dispersion. He never even mentioned the wedge deal to me.

I went to my closest Golftown to see if they had the c200 to hit . To my surprise they did have a couple to try.
They felt fairly soft but was did not hit them very consistent , just was not wowed by them. Now the TM M2's were a different story loved everything about them.
gb

I did see the fitting cart but assumed, after the rep's reaction, that maybe the C200 were too new to have other options on the cart. I should have pressed harder but the rep continued to stress how good the launch, spin and distance numbers were (and he was correct in that) as a 175 yard 7 iron is very long for me. But the dispersion was not good as I blocked a few trying to hold off the harder hook I was seeing on my normal swing - I had about 20 yards of left to right dispersion. He never even mentioned the wedge deal to me.

If you told him you had dispersion issues all he had to do was make a comment regarding shafts, ie: we have this or that or will have and maybe you should consider X.
That is a big dispersion range, especially for someone who knows their game, re: the handicap you list.

Wouldn't you think getting a free wedge would be a huge ++++, especially if: you are trying to make massive inroads in the market with a hot product, your company is investing mega dollars in advertising, it is an exclusive to the store where you are shopping and if you are on the fence between brands? If you like the wedge don't you think the chances would go up tremendously for adding another to fill out a set = another sale. Plus it is advertising for the wedge line when you talk with other golfers.

He only mentioned it because I asked about my gapping considerations beyond the C200 GW.

I went to my closest Golftown to see if they had the c200 to hit . To my surprise they did have a couple to try.
They felt fairly soft but was did not hit them very consistent , just was not wowed by them. Now the TM M2's were a different story loved everything about them.
gb

Sorry the C200 didn't wow, but one club does not fit all.

That is three of us today where the shaft may be the difference.

Maybe an example of the importance of proper fitting as the initial THP reviews were by guys fortunate to receive a custom fit.

Yeah - I think the fitter was wrong, IMHO, but he is not a WS rep, just a guy who works at the store. He probably just does not know what the F/C/D letters mean.
And, while others mentioned poor dispersion, mine was pretty good, although not as good as the F5. But, given the increase in distance, I did not expect a tight dispersion (after the first shot).
I may find a 4 iron somewhere, see what that club does, maybe put that in my bag in place of a FW.

Yeah - I think the fitter was wrong, IMHO, but he is not a WS rep, just a guy who works at the store. He probably just does not know what the F/C/D letters mean.
I agree. Unless the W/S rep had multiple engagements that day, there really shouldn't be an excuse to not have your ass there doing fittings. The whole adage "when you want something done right, you do it yourself" and all ... reading some of these stories about lackadaisical W/S reps is pissing me off. I really do hope Mr. Vrska and the other W/S big-wings are still reading this thread.

I did the demo day visit yesterday at Roger Dunn in west LA. It was OK, but inconclusive. They only had a 7 iron in stock steel, stiff. I loved the feel of the face, very smooth in transition and well balanced through the swing. But, finding the right shaft was not possible because they had no other product to demo with. Not even stock graphite, which is what I really want to try.

The rep was helpful and had me swing the D200 with steel in regular, and distance was noticeably longer with the same clubhead speed. Feel was nowhere near as nice, though. And, well, it's not the same shaft! Hit the graphite in that line too, but again, not really relevant.

He suggested getting a c200 with regular steel shaft to compare and got my number to follow up either by shipping a stock set to the store or having me come to the Irvine PGA Superstore demo next month, since they carry more Wilson gear. Unfortunately I'm out of town that day. I'll probably end up going there to try to do a fitting at some point.

My takeaway? Nice clubs, but Wilson needs to get more product into the channel to demo with.

I agree. Unless the W/S rep had multiple engagements that day, there really shouldn't be an excuse to not have your ass there doing fittings. The whole adage "when you want something done right, you do it yourself" and all ... reading some of these stories about lackadaisical W/S reps is pissing me off. I really do hope Mr. Vrska and the other W/S big-wings are still reading this thread.

I tweeted them a link to it. They definitely need to hear stuff like this. One negative in an environment like this can affect the opinions of others by a couple orders of magnitude.

In today's golf Market it's just not enough to have a great product anymore. Products need to be marketed well and properly available if they are going to move some boxes, especially trying to compete with the big box incentives the other OEMs offer.

Back