Marketing Golf Equipment on TV

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
The Worst Driver Launches thread got me thinking about how it seems like I only see golf equipment commercials on the Golf Channel or during tournaments on other channels.

If a golf company is trying to build awareness & credibility for their products with the casual golfer, should they focus more of their TV advertising dollars across more diverse programming spectrum?

A prime example would be Wilson Staff IMO. They have a lot of commercials on the Golf Channel, but the message about their products don't seem to be reaching Joe Q Public who plays once or twice a month at the local muni.

So in regards to Wilson, if they brought back Real Guy Johnson it would help tailor that message:

Obviously you want to push your product/goods to a specific demographic that would relate and want to buy said products. So, to air a golf commercial in prime time during the 7 to 10 o'clock market might not be as effective as putting it on the Golf Channel. You want to spend your advertising dollars wisely, and pushing a golf commercial during The Big Bang Theory, might not be the best idea.

It's an interesting question. Definitely want to reach a "core" audience via the Golf Channel or during events. I'd never really thought of ads at other times.

Wonder if cost of commercials during other times, where a target audience would be watching, is prohibitive.

I just don't think it's cost advantageous or beneficial for a golf company to advertise outside of TGC or during tourneys just due to not being able to engage their target audience.

MUCH better off using that money for displays in stores or magazine ads IMO. But doesn't really appear that marketing is doing much good outside of the top 2-3 OEM's so I think this is when an OEM has to get more creative. Have to get product into the hands of Joe Average. And it's not easy...

Obviously you want to push your product/goods to a specific demographic that would relate and want to buy said products. So, to air a golf commercial in prime time during the 7 to 10 o'clock market might not be as effective as putting it on the Golf Channel. You want to spend your advertising dollars wisely, and pushing a golf commercial during The Big Bang Theory, might not be the best idea.

I think you make a great point but if they advertised in prime time wouldn't they still reach golfers? It would be more expensive of course but it might be worth it!

The reason why we don't see many golf equipment commercials during prime time is the same reason why we don't see a lot of tampon commercials during a hockey game. Targeted demographics have a lot to do with it

This is interesting.. I think it is well done and cool. Especially for me that at one time spent all my moneys in arcades. But I wonder if it misses..

Do we want it to get harder to get a tee time?

Back